Sponsored

Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience!

Webleyaz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1T
Occupation
Window tinter
I'm waiting for my R1T to charge in Truckee. This morning, in Truckee, towing a roughly 5500#, 21' trailer I rented, I charged to 100%. I then drove 68.6 miles to a destination in Auburn about 2 miles from I80. Messed around for about an hour or so in camp mode before heading back toward the same rivian charger. 8 miles from the charger, I dropped the trailer at a pizza joint in hopes of making it to the changing station. W/o trailer, now, approximately 3/4 of a mile before the 7227' summit sign the % gauge went to 0. Moments later, the range gauge went to 0. I had been drafting a semi for a couple of miles at around 38-42mph but as we crested the summit he sped off. I I was unwilling to keep up. Another semi merged onto the highway causing me to slow some but the 6% for 5 miles sign gave me hope. Cruise set at 48, I watched nervously as the range came up to 1, then the percent followed. I pulled up to the charger still with 1 and 1.
This is not the first time I've ditched a trailer to make it to a refill. Supercharged Quadra-steer suburban the first time.
Rivian R1T R1S Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience! 20230722_134546
Rivian R1T R1S Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience! 20230722_175005
Sponsored

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

My wife just towed her trailer behind our R1S for the first time. It wasn't a long trip, but she got 1.55mi/kWh.

Rivian R1T R1S Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience! PXL_20211210_202938953

The trailer is a 21' Safari Condo Alto A2124, which is about 3,000lbs empty (it was very much not empty on this trip!). It has a somewhat aero-friendly design - it's likely near the best of "full-size" trailers for aero; though of course something collapsible or half-height would be better.

The route didn't involve much elevation.
Temperatures were in the lower 60's; with a tiny bit of rain.
Speed limits vary from 35-60 along the route, which was just over 56 miles (plus a ferry ride).
Our R1S has 20" wheels with Michelin Defender all-seasons, and Team1EV's aero caps.

1.55mi/kWh is great; that's a theoretical range pushing 200 miles while towing (though of course we'll never try that; I always leave a large buffer if for nothing else than to allow for unexpected headwinds).

We got even better efficiency towing the same trailer with our 2017 Tesla Model X 100D. We've seen anywhere from 1.67 to 1.91 with that (though the routes were different, and of course conditions varied). For reference, the X is rated at about 3.0, and our lifetime average before towing was about 2.7. Towing the A2124 on average was about a 40% hit with the X.

But the Rivian's pack is 1/3 larger, and it's several years newer so no degradation yet. It's less efficient to start with, but that means the percentage hit from a trailer should be smaller (indeed with this trip it was likely around a 30% hit), so the effective towing range - the key metric! - is longer. And the Rivian is easier to hook up and has an integrated brake controller.

Now if only I had a working 12V outlet so I could use the screen for the trailer's rear-view camera...

Last edited:

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
My wife just towed her trailer behind our R1S for the first time. It wasn't a long trip, but she got 1.55mi/kWh.

PXL_20211210_202938953.jpg

The trailer is a 21' Safari Condo Alto A2124, which is about 3,000lbs empty (it was very much not empty on this trip!). It has a somewhat aero-friendly design - it's likely near the best of "full-size" trailers for aero; though of course something collapsible or half-height would be better.

Speed limits vary from 35-60 along the route, which was just over 56 miles (plus a ferry ride).
Our R1S has 20" wheels with Michelin Defender all-seasons, and Team1EV's aero caps.

1.55mi/kWh is great; that's a theoretical range pushing 200 miles while towing (though of course we'll never try that; I always leave a large buffer if for nothing else than to allow for unexpected headwinds).

We got even better efficiency towing the same trailer with our 2017 Tesla Model X 100D. We've seen anywhere from 1.67 to 1.91 with that (though the routes were different, and of course conditions varied). For reference, the X is rated at about 3.0, and our lifetime average before towing was about 2.7. Towing the A2124 on average was about a 40% hit with the X.

But the Rivian's pack is 1/3 larger, and it's several years newer so no degradation yet. It's less efficient to start with, but that means the percentage hit from a trailer should be smaller (indeed with this trip it was likely around a 30% hit), so the effective towing range - the key metric! - is longer. And the Rivian is easier to hook up and has an integrated brake controller.

Now if only I had a working 12V outlet so I could use the screen for the trailer's rear-view camera...
great info on that Alto. I originally wanted the F1743 (fixed roof), but my wife convinced me to go Airstream.
Anyways, your last sentence caught my eye - I have a display for the camera mounted on the rear of my trailer suction cupped to my windshield and plugged into the 12V outlet in my ICE truck - I just saw on the ‘Ask Rivian’ Reddit post that trucks no longer come with a 12V outlet and they have no plans to add it again. Have you looked into other options? Is there some kind of USB-C converter that could increase the voltage, or a different adapter for your display screen?

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Sorry, I haven't looked in to other options as the screen for my rear-view camera happens to have a cable that is just long enough to plug it in to the rear 12V outlet of my R1S. (That's the ONLY place in recent R1S that has a 12V outlet).

But that's not convenient. I saw some mention of a 12V outlet that gets power by plugging in to the OBDC port, will have to take a look at that...

Last edited:

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

To be able to use our 12V rear-view camera while towing, in spite of having a more-recent R1S that only has a 12V outlet in the very back of the vehicle, I bought one of THESE.

Plug it in to the OBD port (very easy to access, above the driver's right foot rest) and you have a 12V power outlet up front.

I have seen it said that it keeps power on even after you shut the car off...but I've also seen it said that that is only true until the car goes to sleep. However it works, take care to not drain your 12V battery. I don't anticipate any trouble for my use case as I take the screen out of the car when I'm done towing.

Sponsored

ChampagneUnicorn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (preorder), XC90 Recharge, 65 Riviera GS
Occupation
Gnome Figurine Day Trader
Clubs

PXL_20211210_202938953.jpg

Haaaaa! I’m planning to go the same route! After researching a lot, specifically from these forums, this camper is definitely the move for us! There was only one for sale in the US that I saw and it was in Durango, CO. Disappeared in the last few days off their website, but my math-ing appeared to say around 30% range hit, so I’m super pumped to hear this!! Will you guys please post more stats along the way? Thinking I’ll put one on order for next Summer… The little ones are finally ready for camping adventures. Would also love to hear what you think about the axles or anything else system wise? Was thinking about reinforcing axles and a more all-terrain tire for getting a bit more remote here in Colorado..

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I will try to report more towing numbers under different conditions, but we don't currently have any trips planned, and when my wife goes on her own it's hard to get her to remember to reset the trip meter and take a picture at the end.

We don't really go off-road, so that wasn't a consideration for us. The A2124 sits pretty low, so I wouldn't try anything very rough without some upgrades.

At the time we ordered, the "options list" was not very descriptive. It took us a while to look in to the options and decide what we did and didn't want. If my wife doesn't have better plans for me tomorrow, I'll see if I can get time to send you a DM about the ones I recall.

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The trailer is a 21' Safari Condo Alto A2124, which is about 3,000lbs empty.

We just got back from another trip with our trailer. This one involved a mountain pass and higher speeds...but we still got over 1.5 mi/Kwh!

The route went over Snoqualmie Pass, which was a gain of 2779', then down 807' to a lake.
Temperatures were in the 60's, weather was clear and roads were dry.
Speeds were 45 or 55 on backroads (almost half the trip), and 60 on the freeway. Very few slowdowns, but stoplights lowered the average speed to 42mph on the way there and 46mph on the way back.

On the way there (up a lot, down a little) we got 1.34 mi/kWh.
On the way back (up a little, down a lot) we got 1.73.
For the trip as a whole, we got 1.51.

Rivian R1T R1S Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience! Lake Easton tri

It takes a LOT of energy to get an R1S plus a trailer over a mountain pass. I am quite pleased with the results...Rivian's regen must be excellent!

Last edited:

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
We just got back from another trip with our trailer. This one involved a mountain pass and higher speeds...but we still got over 1.5 mi/Kwh!

The route went over Snoqualmie Pass, which was a gain of 2779', then down 807' to a lake.
Temperatures were in the 60's, weather was clear and roads were dry.
Speeds were 45 or 55 on backroads (almost half the trip), and 60 on the freeway. Very few slowdowns, but stoplights lowered the average speed to 42mph on the way there and 46mph on the way back.

On the way there (up a lot, down a little) we got 1.34 mi/kWh.
On the way back (up a little, down a lot) we got 1.73.
For the trip as a whole, we got 1.51.

Lake Easton trip.jpg

It takes a LOT of energy to get an R1S plus a trailer over a mountain pass. I am quite pleased with the results...Rivian's regen must be excellent!
This is really impressive. I have the same 20" wheels and the aero inserts (which seem to do nothing at best or cause 1-2% WORSE efficiency in my testing), but stock AT tires. In 4400 miles already since I got my truck six weeks ago I'm averaging only 1.87mi/kWh.

That's with no towing at all yet. Just regular driving, a little less aggressive than I would normally drive in my previous car, but still maybe a little faster than most people, it seems. Mix of All Purpose, Conserve (on highway), and some Sport. Typically 72 on the freeway, slower at times. Rarely over 75 unless passing. A few launches to show off to friends but not often.

I am looking forward to swapping to road tires like yours or another one like the Pirelli Scorpion AS+3 some have tried. But I don't know how soon I'll be able to do that.

When I get to towing my ~4000lb (loaded) trailer, I'm pretty curious how bad my efficiency is going to get.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience! IMG_0907

Sponsored

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Towing a dump 4000lb (empty) dump trailer with a net loss of 1300' I netted 2.32m/kw they same route going up with max load was 1m/kw.
The average was 1.66m/kw.

Rivian R1T R1S Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience! IMG_3342

DrR1T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Doc
I have an R1T. 20 inch AT’s, and I haul a loadrite Tritoon trailer and southbay 24’ Tritoon. Probably about 5000 pounds. I drive ocean city Maryland coastal driving and 100 miles took me from 100% charge to 13%. Meaning I really have never been able to get more than about 100 miles of range towing my boat. Very disappointing numbers from a truck I absolutely love.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have an R1T. 20 inch AT’s, and I haul a loadrite Tritoon trailer and southbay 24’ Tritoon. Probably about 5000 pounds. I drive ocean city Maryland coastal driving and 100 miles took me from 100% charge to 13%. Meaning I really have never been able to get more than about 100 miles of range towing my boat. Very disappointing numbers from a truck I absolutely love.
That's not a surprise though, it's a well known fact that towing with an electric cuts the range by 50% or more.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
That's not a surprise though, it's a well known fact that towing with an electric cuts the range by 50% or more.
It's not a surprise because it's a well-known fact that towing with an ICE vehicle will also cut your range by 50%. You just start off with more range in an ICE is all.
Sponsored