Max Pack worth it for towing?

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
I wish someone would invent a tow dolly of some sort that goes between the truck and trailer that has the extra battery capacity. I don't need to haul that extra battery around all the time and when not towing I could use for backup power for my home.
Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
If you want to do EV towing I’d recommend waiting for the Ram 1500 EV/hybrid that still retains an engine as a generator. All the benefits of a normal EV around town and with the better electric drivetrain for towing but little to no downsides on a long trip with a trailer. No charger, no problem, just top off the gas tank.

Enjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M240i
Clubs

We have several thousand miles towing in our R1T and R1S. Quad motor vs Dual motor not that much difference in efficiency. The difference comes from the dual motor being able to disengage the rear motor above 20 mph instead of having to switch into a dedicated conserve mode like you do on the quad motor. So EPA numbers are higher because those tests are done in all purpose mode. Being able to get the increased efficiency without losing the 4WD capability is a big plus for the dual motor.
Sorry, it's not clear to me based on your post.... Is one of your vehicles a quad and the other a dual? I've been hoping someone who has towed with both a quad and a dual could provide meaningful data or feedback regarding the efficiency of both when towing.

You also comment about the difference between dual-motor all purpose (switches automatically between AWD and FWD) and quad-motor conserve. But it's my understanding when towing that both the quad and dual will be in full-time AWD. Are you saying that when you tow you can switch to conserve? Or that the dual-motor will still switch to FWD once at speed while towing? That's not been my understanding....

Enjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M240i
Clubs

If you want to do EV towing I’d recommend waiting for the Ram 1500 EV/hybrid that still retains an engine as a generator. All the benefits of a normal EV around town and with the better electric drivetrain for towing but little to no downsides on a long trip with a trailer. No charger, no problem, just top off the gas tank.
Well, the downside is burning fossil fuel, to be fair.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
True, but that also supports the majority of power generation for EV charging in general. For long distance towing a pure EV is a huge disadvantage and the only reason I no longer own my R1T.

Sponsored

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
For long distance towing a pure EV is a huge disadvantage and the only reason I no longer own my R1T.
That may be true for you but not for everyone. I traded in my Ram 1500 Eco Diesel for my R1T with the express purpose of towing my 30’ Airstream between Canada and Arizona and I couldn’t be happier. As I’ve pointed out in several threads here and elsewhere, the R1T is more stable in crosswinds with much better acceleration and slowing. There are 2 sides to the range coin. Sure I only get 120 miles between charges but there are chargers everywhere on the West Coast. I’ll take my R1T any day.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Is the R1T's Max Pack worth the additional cost? Will be towing a Basecamp 16X yearly down to Tucson and back from ND and twice to the west coast and back from ND. Have CT reservation, but need a topper. Will outfit the R1T with Flated topper (https://getflated.com) since I only need the topper during these long trips.
Don’t believe so.

Enjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M240i
Clubs

True, but that also supports the majority of power generation for EV charging in general. For long distance towing a pure EV is a huge disadvantage and the only reason I no longer own my R1T.
That depends on your location.... Here in Ontario less than 10% of our grid's power is from fossil fuels (natural gas only, we have no coal power plants). The rest is zero-carbon sources including nuclear, water, wind, and solar.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That depends on your location.... Here in Ontario less than 10% of our grid's power is from fossil fuels (natural gas only, we have no coal power plants). The rest is nuclear, water, wind, and solar.
Huge variability dependent on region of course. My statement was in regard to the broad scope of the entire country’s power generation sources.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That may be true for you but not for everyone. I traded in my Ram 1500 Eco Diesel for my R1T with the express purpose of towing my 30’ Airstream between Canada and Arizona and I couldn’t be happier. As I’ve pointed out in several threads here and elsewhere, the R1T is more stable in crosswinds with much better acceleration and slowing. There are 2 sides to the range coin. Sure I only get 120 miles between charges but there are chargers everywhere on the West Coast. I’ll take my R1T any day.
I wish it had worked better for me. The R1T was excellent at towing other than the range limits. Great daily driver for ease of use and smaller size as well. It just wasn’t capable of the long distances I need to drive occasionally or the monthly 130ish mile mountain tow. Heading back up to Alaska in about a month and even if enough charging opportunities existed along the way it would get old stopping every 100 miles for days on end.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That depends on your location.... Here in Ontario less than 10% of our grid's power is from fossil fuels (natural gas only, we have no coal power plants). The rest is zero-carbon sources including nuclear, water, wind, and solar.
"Powered by 100% renewable energy" is still something Rivian is claiming for RAN as well.

Enjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M240i
Clubs

Huge variability dependent on region of course. My statement was in regard to the broad scope of the entire country’s power generation sources.
Fair enough, I appreciate your point that the USA still has a lot of natural gas and coal power production. In Canada our electricity across the whole country is almost 85% zero-carbon sources. But I guess my point is that the source of energy you're actually using to charge your truck is the relevant metric, not the country wide %'s.... If my local energy was produced by 100% coal power plants, I don't think I'd be buying an EV, personally. I appreciate everyone has their own reasons for considering EV's, but for me it's out of desire to lower my personal carbon footprint (setting aside any conversation about the embodied carbon in the production of the truck itself). Thankfully, my local energy sources support that desire.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 24 R1S (El Cap)
Occupation
Content Creation & Real Estate
Clubs

Sorry, it's not clear to me based on your post.... Is one of your vehicles a quad and the other a dual? I've been hoping someone who has towed with both a quad and a dual could provide meaningful data or feedback regarding the efficiency of both when towing.

You also comment about the difference between dual-motor all purpose (switches automatically between AWD and FWD) and quad-motor conserve. But it's my understanding when towing that both the quad and dual will be in full-time AWD. Are you saying that when you tow you can switch to conserve? Or that the dual-motor will still switch to FWD once at speed while towing? That's not been my understanding....
Both are quad. Because your using all motors while towing and towing range is 1/2 to 1/3 of EPA there will very little if any difference between quad and dual.

Trying to tow in conserve would destroy the front tires I'm sure 😳. I haven't tried it. The truck knows your towing when you connect the trailer plug.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Burning 40% - 50% LESS fossil fuel driving an EV compared to ICE. To me that's an upside, not a downside.

Enjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M240i
Clubs

Burning 40% - 50% LESS fossil fuel driving an EV compared to ICE. To me that's an upside, not a downside.
I think you're agreeing with me, then? I was stating that the downside to driving a Ramcharger (which uses an onboard gas-powered generator to produce electricity) is burning fossil fuel.
Sponsored