First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
I've been combing through forum posts and Facebook groups for a few hours to collate the various payload values I was seeing. I've put my table below with links to sources. If you have additional information, please post the payload sticker in the thread and I'll add it to the table. Hope this helps others out there! (background on why I care below)

R1T Quad motor / Large pack
(Weights in lbs)
ConfigSpare?Skid plate?Powered Tonneau?GVWRPayloadCurb (calc)Source
20" ATYYY
8532​
1324​
7208​
Link
20" ATNYY
8532​
1419​
7113​
Link
20" ATYN?
8532​
1464​
7068​
Link
20" ATNNY
8532​
1559​
6973​
Link
20" ATNNN
8532​
1631​
6901​
Link
21" ASYNY
8532​
1543​
6989​
FBook group link (can't link post directly)
21" ASYYN
8532​
1402​
7130​
Link
21" ASNNY
8532​
1623​
6909​
Link
22" ASYYY
8532​
1387​
7145​
Link
22" ASYN?
8532​
1527​
7005​
Link
22" ASNNN
8532​
1702​
6830​

Options weights (based on late '22 and early '23 Quad/Large configs):
20" spare + jack = 95 lbs
21" spare + jack? = 80 lbs (calc from above is 80 lbs, but R website lists it as 79 lbs)
22" spare + jack = 83 lbs (from Rivian's website; no definitive calc yet)
skid plate = 140 lbs
tonneau = 0 72 lbs (seems they HAVE NOT included the removal of the powered tonneau in payload rating, at least for recent trucks, late 2022)
Update Mar 13/23: based on post 33 from today, it appears that they are now accounting for removal of the tonneau in the payload sticker, and that the tonneau assembly is approx. 90 lbs.
Update Sep 8/23: based on my post from today, the math looks more like 72 lbs for the powered tonneau for my May 2023 build. I calculated against two different trucks and it lines up.

R1T - Dual motor / Large pack
(Weights in lbs)
ConfigSpare?Shield?Tonneau?GVWRPayloadCalc. Curb WeightSource
20"NNN1770Link and link
21"NNN853217926740Link

R1T - Dual motor / Max pack
(Weight in lbs)
ConfigSpare?Shield?Tonneau?GVWRPayloadCalc. Curb WeightSource
20"NYN853215946938Link
21"NNN1748Link
21" R1SNNN/A853217796753Link

Major Edit: Oct 2/23: added table for R1T Dual Motor Large and Max packs - changed title of thread to reflect.

From the few points of data we have now, it appears the Max pack weighs about 40 lbs more than the Large pack.

Background for our use case:
We are a family of four, with two rapidly growing teen boys. We mountain bike, climb, paddle, hike, etc. So, whenever we do a road trip, we tend to have a fair amount of gear with us (check out one of my blog posts, scroll down to the photos).

We also bought a travel trailer last year, an Airstream Flying Cloud 20FB with a dry weight of ~4,200 lbs, GVWR of 5,000 lbs and tongue weight of about 680 lbs. After multiple trips with the trailer (>30 nights last year), with varying amounts of outdoor gear, weighing it almost every trip, we have found that we often have the trailer almost at GVWR, and the tongue weight at about 650lbs after factoring in the weight-distribution hitch. Our truck has been from around 200lbs under the GVWR to basically right at GVWR (2010 Honda Ridgeline), and it has a payload rating of 1575lbs.

So! I am concerned about the advertised payloads I've been seeing for the R1T, and that is only for the Large pack thus far, and we have a reservation for a Max pack.

Edit: added photo of tow rig and gear in the truck.

Rivian R1T R1S Compiled payload ratings for R1T (GVWR, GAWR, Payload Stickers) IMG_7156

Edit: Sep 18/23
As you can see below, we ended up buying an R1T, a 2023 Quad/Large, May build. No spare, tonneau, or underbody shield. Highest payload 20" I've seen, since the tonneau weight is no longer included in the payload sticker. Tows the trailer beautifully!

Rivian R1T R1S Compiled payload ratings for R1T (GVWR, GAWR, Payload Stickers) Rivian towing over Kootenay Pass.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Interesting table. So all tire options have the same GVWR, I had thought that the tires were the limiting factor but if that were the case I wouldn’t expect them to have the same GVWR. I was hoping if I needed I could add some LT tires with a higher load rating.

Not like we can add some additional leaf springs or an airbag or something.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Completely unnecessary anyway. I put 1200lbs on the hitch a couple times a week and the suspension has no problems going straight back up to level and riding fine.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Interesting table. So all tire options have the same GVWR, I had thought that the tires were the limiting factor but if that were the case I wouldn’t expect them to have the same GVWR. I was hoping if I needed I could add some LT tires with a higher load rating.

Food for thought, R1T tongue weight rating is a little over 1100lbs.

and don’t need helper springs When it already has air

OP
OP
KootenayEV

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer

I must admit that I guessed at the GVWR being the same for some of them - I have visual confirmation it is for the 20" and 21", but I can't recall off-hand if I do for the 22"...

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Completely unnecessary anyway. I put 1200lbs on the hitch a couple times a week and the suspension has no problems going straight back up to level and riding fine.
Food for thought, R1T tongue weight rating is a little over 1100lbs.

and don’t need helper springs When it already has air
My point is something is limiting the payload rating on the Rivian, if it isn’t the tires then what is it. Am I going to blow out a damper if hit big bump while overloaded, you don’t want a hole in one of those I’ve been there.

OP
OP
KootenayEV

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
Just received confirmation from two different folks I asked that they have the powered tonneau cover, so I updated the table to reflect... now we need someone to post their sticker with a new truck WITHOUT the tonneau cover so we can figure out the difference.

Edit: clarity

GreenOptimist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Just received confirmation from two different folks I asked that they have the powered tonneau cover, so I updated the table to reflect... now we need someone to post their sticker with a new truck WITHOUT the tonneau cover so we can figure out the difference.

Edit: clarity
Here's my Dec delivery with no tonneau (manual on order):
ConfigSpare?Skid plate?Powered TonneauGVWRPayloadCurb (calc)Source
21" Quad LargeYYN853214027130

Photo:
Rivian R1T R1S Compiled payload ratings for R1T (GVWR, GAWR, Payload Stickers) R1T GVWR

Last edited:

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My point is something is limiting the payload rating on the Rivian, if it isn’t the tires then what is it. Am I going to blow out a damper if hit big bump while overloaded, you don’t want a hole in one of those I’ve been there.
You’re looking at the math problem backwards. The payload isn’t limited by tires, dampers, etc but rather by the GVWR of 8532lbs. The question should be why is the truck rated for a maximum weight of 8532lbs not why is the payload number what it is.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

You’re looking at the math problem backwards. The payload isn’t limited by tires, dampers, etc but rather by the GVWR of 8532lbs. The question should be why is the truck rated for a maximum weight of 8532lbs not why is the payload number what it is.
Yeah that is exactly what I was saying. Notice I said GVWR 2 times in my original post which you told me it didn‘t matter. The GVWR is based on something that ultimately limits the payload.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KootenayEV

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
Here's my Dec delivery with no tonneau (manual on order):
ConfigSpare?Skid plate?Powered TonneauGVWRPayloadCurb (calc)Source
21" Quad LargeYYN853214027130

Photo:
R1T GVWR.jpg
Thanks! That is super interesting - your payload DOES NOT reflect the fact that you don't have the tonneau cover and associated hardware. It would be interesting to go weigh your truck almost completely empty (although leave the spare in) and see what it actually comes in at - surely it will be less than 8532 - 1402 = 7,130 lbs...

I also updated the original post with the weights of options we can calculate thus far.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, the tongue weight/tow rating is stated as being a structural one (Rivian says the hitch and Rear chassis can safely withstand this much).

I suspect going a few hundred lbs over gross won’t hurt much.

@KootenayEV good thing you don’t have a heavier trailer, closer to the tow limit, you have to get a class 3 license 😂

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Well, the tongue weight/tow rating is stated as being a structural one (Rivian says the hitch and Rear chassis can safely withstand this much).

I suspect going a few hundred lbs over gross won’t hurt much.
Yeah I am sure exceeding the payload limit a few hundred pounds would be no problem. My initial thought was just wondering what the weak point is, I had assumed it was the tires but that seems not to be the case based on this table.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah I am sure exceeding the payload limit a few hundred pounds would be no problem. My initial thought was just wondering what the weak point is, I had assumed it was the tires but that seems not to be the case based on this table.
It might not even be a structural concern. Could be handling, the impact of higher weight on efficiency, keeping the GVWR to a certain class, any number of things. The impression I’ve got from seeing various videos and so on, though, is you can load these trucks down with as much stuff as you can jam in and they’ll handle it.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I've been combing through forum posts and Facebook groups for a few hours to collate the various payload values I was seeing. I've put my table below with links to sources. If you have additional information, please post the payload sticker in the thread and I'll add it to the table. Hope this helps others out there! (background on why I care below)

Weights in lbs
ConfigSpare?Skid plate?Powered Tonneau?GVWRPayloadCurb (calc)Source
20" AT Quad LargeYYY
8532​
1324​
7208​
Link
20" AT Quad LargeNYY
8532​
1419​
7113​
Link
20" AT Quad LargeYN?
8532​
1464​
7068​
Link
20" AT Quad LargeNNY
8532​
1559​
6973​
Link
21" AS Quad LargeYNY
8532​
1543​
6989​
FBook group link (can't link post directly)
21" AS Quad LargeYYN
8532​
1402​
7130​
Link
22" AS Quad LargeYYY
8532​
1387​
7145​
Link
22" AS Quad LargeYN?
8532​
1527​
7005​
Link

Options weights:
21" spare + jack = ??
22" spare + jack = ??
skid plate = 140 lbs
tonneau = 0 lbs! (seems they HAVE NOT included the removal of the powered tonneau in payload rating, at least for recent trucks, late 2022)

Background for our use case:
We are a family of four, with two rapidly growing teen boys. We mountain bike, climb, paddle, hike, etc. So, whenever we do a road trip, we tend to have a fair amount of gear with us (check out one of my blog posts, scroll down to the photos).

We also bought a travel trailer last year, an Airstream Flying Cloud 20FB with a dry weight of ~4,200 lbs, GVWR of 5,000 lbs and tongue weight of about 680 lbs. After multiple trips with the trailer (>30 nights last year), with varying amounts of outdoor gear, weighing it almost every trip, we have found that we often have the trailer almost at GVWR, and the tongue weight at about 650lbs after factoring in the weight-distribution hitch. Our truck has been from around 200lbs under the GVWR to basically right at GVWR (2010 Honda Ridgeline), and it has a payload rating of 1575lbs.

So! I am concerned about the advertised payloads I've been seeing for the R1T, and that is only for the Large pack thus far, and we have a reservation for a Max pack.

Edit: added photo of tow rig and gear in the truck.

IMG_7156.jpg
Some data points for you..

Rivian wheel weights are available on the Rivian Gear Shop.

Rivian states 86lbs for 20" = infers jack kit is 9lbs.

21" spare + jack = ??
Rivian states 79lbs for just the 21" wheel.

22" spare + jack = ??
Rivian states 83lbs for 22"

I've trade, sold, and shipped a couple of these items and there has been some inconsistent weights to what Rivian listed. These are prior to boxing.

- Spare Tire Kit: ~12lbs, includes the retaining rod.
- 21" Wheel: 83lbs, balanced wheel & tire, no aero cover, no caps.
- Entire 21" Spare Wheel & Tire Kit: 95lbs
- 22" Wheel: 86lbs, balanced wheel & tire, no cap, no spare kit.
Sponsored