Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I actually have a titan brakerite electric over hydraulic system that I had on my last boat trailer, but I stuck a surge actuator back on it and kept it. I do have disc Brakes now.
I'm really curious why you switched back to surge brakes? I have surge brakes on my trailer right now and the ride feels very herky-jerky. I'm wondering if EOH will give me a smoother ride.
Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Happy to if you want to swing by Marin! I think my setup is closer to 6500lbs

PXL_20221008_175525699.jpg
@Mousetrap I just purchased a used boat (Jeanneau NC 695) that came with a trailer that has surge brakes. I'm not happy with the trailering (feels very herky-jerky) on the highway. I have no experience with surge brakes, so I don't know if this jerkiness is normal or not.

What trailer to you have and what's the weight of your boat?

Mousetrap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

@Mousetrap I just purchased a used boat (Jeanneau NC 695) that came with a trailer that has surge brakes. I'm not happy with the trailering (feels very herky-jerky) on the highway. I have no experience with surge brakes, so I don't know if this jerkiness is normal or not.

What trailer to you have and what's the weight of your boat?
Weights seem comparable - yours might outweigh mine by a couple hundred pounds, but nothing of significance at this scale and easily covered by gear choices. The trailer is an MFI tandem axle trailer, but the company doesn't exist anymore, so I don't know that it'll help at all.

Similar to the last poster, the Rivian is very smooth trailering & doesn't have any issue with it. I'm surprised to hear about the jerkiness - it might be worth swinging the trailer past a trailer/brakes place to have them check it out. It doesn't sound normal to me.

OP
OP
rydb

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

I'm really curious why you switched back to surge brakes? I have surge brakes on my trailer right now and the ride feels very herky-jerky. I'm wondering if EOH will give me a smoother ride.
EOH is way smoother than surge, but the surge works. If I end up getting a new trailer built or buy a new boat and trailer, I’ll probably go back to EOH.

Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Weights seem comparable - yours might outweigh mine by a couple hundred pounds, but nothing of significance at this scale and easily covered by gear choices. The trailer is an MFI tandem axle trailer, but the company doesn't exist anymore, so I don't know that it'll help at all.

Similar to the last poster, the Rivian is very smooth trailering & doesn't have any issue with it. I'm surprised to hear about the jerkiness - it might be worth swinging the trailer past a trailer/brakes place to have them check it out. It doesn't sound normal to me.
Thanks @Mousetrap Do you have a trailer shop in the Bay Area that you'd recommend? This is my first big boat and I'm looking for reputable service shops.

WakesUp

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 R1T, ‘89 Landcruiser, ‘16 X5, ‘20 GL450
Occupation
In the field
Clubs

R1T QM tows the 2023 Malibu 23LSV like it’s not there. 6000+ pounds, while effortless, takes a toll on the range. Thankfully only have to tow 2x per year about 10miles.

Rivian R1T R1S Boat Show - Show the boats you're towing with your Rivian IMG_7600

Rivian R1T R1S Boat Show - Show the boats you're towing with your Rivian IMG_3847

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
rydb

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

Glad to see the old thread still getting some posts. About to be the 3rd boating season since Rivians have been out, time flies.

I’ve got a new Rivian and a new boat now that I need to get a pic of and post.

kdcold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2011 Toyota 4Runner, 2013 Infiniti JX35
Occupation
Banking IT Software Services
R1S with my 22' Tritoon on dual-axle surge-brake trailer probably made for a longer boat.
Hardtop gear & trailer altogether around 5000lbs.
Rivian R1T R1S Boat Show - Show the boats you're towing with your Rivian IMG_1665.JPEG

I usually use a 4-5" drop hitch, just didn't have it with me that day.
Rivian R1T R1S Boat Show - Show the boats you're towing with your Rivian IMG_2033.JPEG