Sponsored

Suspension height when towing

Fraslin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
We were towing with a Model Y (a 16ft Bambi Airstream) too and I did end up getting a new adjustable hitch for our R1S. Like everyone else said we did try to tow on Low but ultimately standard provided a better ride and towing experience. You will love it and the range you will get vs the model Y will be a game changer!
Sponsored

OP
OP
VandalSibs

VandalSibs

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Motor Large Pack
Occupation
Composer, IT Service Desk Analyst
Got the truck this last Saturday (yay!) and picked up a new ball mount yesterday after doing some measurements.

I'm worried about rattle for sure, as I just did a quick test install and there's a decent amount of play...
Video Link

I've got an anti-rattle clamp from towing with the Y, but I didn't like the "tool-less" parts, and it won't hold in place in any orientation.
Curt Anti-Rattle Clamp

Would something like this work better?
Other Anti-Rattle Clamp

Or is the amount of movement/rattle not gonna be noticeable when towing with the truck vs. when I was towing with the Model Y?

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks! If the math works out, all I'll have to do to move to towing with the R1T is flip the ball on my current hitch (it's on a 3/4" rise due to towing with a Model Y).

Another related question would be, does the towing profile store/remember the suspension height setting, or does it need to be changed every time I hitch up?
Mine is on low setting for towing and it always remembers it for all three of my trailers, as soon as I connect them. I have a 6 in drop on my receiver and low is the best setting to have the trailers level.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

For me the rivian receiver was a bit to low compared to our gx470. You can't raise the rivian, unless you want to go 45mph the whole way. Luckily I had an adjustable pintle laying around to adjust a couple of inches instead of flipping the ball on the light duty stinger I use on the gx. The pintle is seriously heavy solid cast.
Rivian R1T R1S Suspension height when towing 20240104_152334

OP
OP
VandalSibs

VandalSibs

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
What do you mean, "Can't raise the Rivian"? As in you shouldn't use rise-orientation ball mounts, or that you can't change the suspension when in tow mode (but not actively driving)?

Sponsored

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
What do you mean, "Can't raise the Rivian"? As in you shouldn't use rise-orientation ball mounts, or that you can't change the suspension when in tow mode (but not actively driving)?
You can't reasonably drive with the suspension in 'High' mode.

FWIW, I initially towed in 'Low' mode (but last fall before they revamped the settings/mode screens, so can't speak to whether it saves your height setting) because I didn't lower my adjustable hitch enough when swapping trucks. I found it less compliant then I wanted and I didn't want to put undue wear on the tires (alignment is calibrated for 'Standard' height), plus no noticeable effect on efficiency, so I re-adjusted my hitch and now tow in 'Standard' height.

(When we were trailer shopping I looked at those units and liked them but was over-ruled; but love what we did get so it worked out!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
VandalSibs

VandalSibs

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
You can't reasonably drive with the suspension in 'High' mode.

FWIW, I initially towed in 'Low' mode (but last fall before they revamped the settings/mode screens, so can't speak to whether it saves your height setting) because I didn't lower my adjustable hitch enough when swapping trucks. I found it less compliant then I wanted and I didn't want to put undue wear on the tires (alignment is calibrated for 'Standard' height), plus no noticeable affect on efficiency, so I re-adjusted my hitch and now tow in 'Standard' height.

(When we were trailer shopping I looked at those units and liked them but was over-ruled; but love what we did get so it worked out!)
Ah, so more of a control-ability choice. Was never gonna even try it in High... either Standard or Low - which is what I measured my hitch drop for anyway.

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer
I'm picking up my R1T on Saturday, and will be towing my camping trailer with it soon. I was wondering if you can set the truck to a particular suspension height, or if it always needs to be in "standard". The difference might require me to purchase a new hitch.

(For background, I'm towing an inTech Sol Dawn, which has a coupler height of approx. 12 inches)
I use an Equalizer hitch towing my 28’ Airstream. I set up hitch for Normal ride height. As Equalizer users will know, one should remove the load bars when crossing steep driveway breaks or driving on rough unpaved roads. Now when in such conditions, or even when entering a campground, I simply raise the truck height to high, which decreases the load transfer. This is only possible below 40 mph. In extremely windy conditions on flat highway, when I want maximum sway control, I simply lower the truck height to Low. This works a charm.

KJB

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S
Occupation
Retired professor
I use an Equalizer hitch towing my 28’ Airstream. I set up hitch for Normal ride height. As Equalizer users will know, one should remove the load bars when crossing steep driveway breaks or driving on rough unpaved roads. Now when in such conditions, or even when entering a campground, I simply raise the truck height to high, which decreases the load transfer. This is only possible below 40 mph. In extremely windy conditions on flat highway, when I want maximum sway control, I simply lower the truck height to Low. This works a charm.
I have an R1S and a 16' Bambi, and I can see we need a different drop shank. What size drop shank do you have?

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer
I have a 10” drop, but my Equalizer is on the highest holes, putting the ball top almost at the level of the receiver. My 28” Airstream has a 2 5/8” lift. .
Sponsored