First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
I can confirm the tonneau makes no difference in the ratings. I have a 21” quad / large, no spare / skid plate / tonneau and it’s the exact same as the other already listed but with tonneau.

Rivy

First Name
Rivy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LX570
LE 22", On-road underbody, NO spare, NO cover. :rock:

Rivian R1T R1S Compiled payload ratings for R1T (GVWR, GAWR, Payload Stickers) payload

OP
OP
KootenayEV

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer

payload.jpg
Thanks for the update! Closest yet I have seen to the mythical 1,760 lbs payload rating :)

OP
OP
KootenayEV

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer

payload.jpg
Hey how new is your truck? What is the build year in your VIN? Interestingly it appears that they have now removed the weight of the tonneau cover from the sticker value (previous deliveries in 2022 included the weight of the cover, even if the truck shipped without it, based on data from earlier in this thread).

Using the 22" tire weight, and the other options weight, it looks like the tonneau assembly is around 90lbs.

Sponsored

Rivy

First Name
Rivy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LX570
Hey how new is your truck? What is the build year in your VIN? Interestingly it appears that they have now removed the weight of the tonneau cover from the sticker value (previous deliveries in 2022 included the weight of the cover, even if the truck shipped without it, based on data from earlier in this thread).

Using the 22" tire weight, and the other options weight, it looks like the tonneau assembly is around 90lbs.
2023, 18,XXX VIN.

I skipped breakfast on delivery day though which may have helped create the 1700lb payload figure...

kostyaaf

First Name
Kostya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just R1T now
Clubs

2023, 18,XXX VIN.

I skipped breakfast on delivery day though which may have helped create the 1700lb payload figure...
That's what I was thinking too. Mine is late '22 (13xxx) and payload is 1623# but I have 21", no spare, road underbody, missing tonneau.

OP
OP
KootenayEV

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
That's what I was thinking too. Mine is late '22 (13xxx) and payload is 1623# but I have 21", no spare, road underbody, missing tonneau.
If you have a scale nearby, it would be interesting to see what your truck weighs (but you'd have to remove any misc stuff you might have in there, like tools, and subtract out your weight) as the 'curb' weight, and we could compare that to what it calculates out to be, GVWR - payload rating = curb weight

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T
Wonder how much "lighter" the Rivian speaker system is vs the Meridians. Should start seeing those stickers soon.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

2023 R1T, 20" ATs, no tonneau (manual ordered, but unsure if it's included on the sticker), underbody shield, no spare.

Sticker says 1559 lbs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KootenayEV

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
2023 R1T, 20" ATs, no tonneau (manual ordered, but unsure if it's included on the sticker), underbody shield, no spare.

Sticker says 1559 lbs.
Hmm interesting - that sticker quotes the exact same value as for the 20" AT with no spare, no underbody shield, and a powered tonneau. The same config but WITH the underbody shield had a sticker for 1419lbs.

From a different post, I had inferred the powered tonneau to be ~90lbs, so I would have pegged your config at ~1,510lbs (not including the manual tonneau)...

Couple of possibilities spring to mind:
  • The GVWR for 2023s might be different - what does the other sticker show for that value?
  • They re-rated the 2023 configs for some reason (no one has weighed their truck empty yet to see how close they were to the posted GVWR - payload = curb weight)
  • The speaker system changes saved 40lbs?!
  • Something else changed?

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Mickey

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
I've been combing through forum posts and Facebook groups for a few hours to collate the various payload values I was seeing. I've put my table below with links to sources. If you have additional information, please post the payload sticker in the thread and I'll add it to the table. Hope this helps others out there! (background on why I care below)

R1T
Quad/Large
Weights in lbs
ConfigSpare?Skid plate?Powered Tonneau?GVWRPayloadCurb (calc)Source
20" ATYYY
8532​
1324​
7208​
Link
20" ATNYY
8532​
1419​
7113​
Link
20" ATYN?
8532​
1464​
7068​
Link
20" ATNNY
8532​
1559​
6973​
Link
21" ASYNY
8532​
1543​
6989​
FBook group link (can't link post directly)
21" ASYYN
8532​
1402​
7130​
Link
21" ASNNY
8532​
1623​
6909​
Link
22" ASYYY
8532​
1387​
7145​
Link
22" ASYN?
8532​
1527​
7005​
Link
22" ASNNN
8532​
1702​
6830​

Options weights:
20" spare + jack = 95 lbs
21" spare + jack? = 80 lbs (calc from above is 80 lbs, but R website lists it as 79 lbs)
22" spare + jack = 83 lbs (from Rivian's website; no definitive calc yet)
skid plate = 140 lbs
tonneau = 0 lbs! (seems they HAVE NOT included the removal of the powered tonneau in payload rating, at least for recent trucks, late 2022)
Update Mar 13/23: based on post 33 from today, it appears that they are now accounting for removal of the tonneau in the payload sticker, and that the tonneau assembly is approx. 90 lbs.

Background for our use case:
We are a family of four, with two rapidly growing teen boys. We mountain bike, climb, paddle, hike, etc. So, whenever we do a road trip, we tend to have a fair amount of gear with us (check out one of my blog posts, scroll down to the photos).

We also bought a travel trailer last year, an Airstream Flying Cloud 20FB with a dry weight of ~4,200 lbs, GVWR of 5,000 lbs and tongue weight of about 680 lbs. After multiple trips with the trailer (>30 nights last year), with varying amounts of outdoor gear, weighing it almost every trip, we have found that we often have the trailer almost at GVWR, and the tongue weight at about 650lbs after factoring in the weight-distribution hitch. Our truck has been from around 200lbs under the GVWR to basically right at GVWR (2010 Honda Ridgeline), and it has a payload rating of 1575lbs.

So! I am concerned about the advertised payloads I've been seeing for the R1T, and that is only for the Large pack thus far, and we have a reservation for a Max pack.

Edit: added photo of tow rig and gear in the truck.

IMG_7156.jpg
No worries about payload or towing capacity. The R1T will tow a house! I'd be more concerned about your range. Estimates shown in Tow Mode are way off and will give you false planning info! Beware.

OP
OP
KootenayEV

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
I picked up my Quad Large last weekend and thought I'd update with a May 2023 build sticker. I have 20" AT wheels/tires, no tonneau (but do have rails), no spare, and no underbody skid plate protection. Payload of 1631 lbs, which is the highest I've seen for 20" AT so far.

Interestingly, calculating two ways against other 20" AT trucks I find the powered tonneau to be 72 lbs (vs the earlier calculation against the 22" wheel truck). Close enough not to matter at this point though whether 72 or 90lbs. The other data point I should add is that I am pretty sure I have the Rivian audio system (I don't see the word Meridian anywhere). The other oddity is that my GVWR is shown on the sticker only in kg, and when converting using 2.2 lbs/kg, it works out to 8514 lbs vs the US stickers showing 8532 lbs (Edit: as pointed out on the next page, I wasn't using the direct conversion; the GVWR does match, updated in 1st page table). I'm heading to a weigh-scale today, so stand-by for actual curb weight.

Rivian R1T R1S Compiled payload ratings for R1T (GVWR, GAWR, Payload Stickers) IMG_3189

(Edit: removed duplicate photo)

Rivian R1T R1S Compiled payload ratings for R1T (GVWR, GAWR, Payload Stickers) IMG_3190
Sponsored

Last edited: