Sponsored

To Shield or Not to Shield? Option the Reinforced Underbody Shield?

EVentually

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5, Rivian R1T
I’m getting access to the shop this Monday or Tuesday and although I’m pretty happy with my config, the one thing I may compromise on is the reinforced underbody shield. I haven’t done much off-roading beyond what’s been required to get to some Washington hiking trails, but it’s always something I’ve been wanting to pick up. I recall the sentiment was that it was unnecessary beyond “extreme” off-roading, but I’m not sure where to draw the line. I also recall someone treading water (something we do a lot up here in WA) with the regular shield and getting their underbody ripped, so I’m going back and forth.

Does anyone here who off-roads regret or are happy they did or didn’t get the shield?

I know this question has been asked a few times, but I’m hoping with thousands more R1Ts in the wild, there may be some new, valuable insight.
Sponsored

Birdowin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T / Tesla model S
Occupation
Retired from construction.
I got to choose my Rivian from the shop. The one I got came with everything that I wanted except the shield. I went ahead anyway because I didn't know if another one would come along with almost everything. Now I wish I would have waited a little longer and gotten it. I don't get off road a lot but when I do I go on some pretty bad roads.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

I’m sure we’ll eventually see some great aftermarket options.

Take the savings now, and apply towards some front end PPF.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Very happy I got it after a Washington fire road woopsy after a trail. High centering was inevitable, question was stump or rock. Took the stump in the center and rock on the quarter panel. Shield protected more egregious damage, per Bellevue Service Center.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I’m getting access to the shop this Monday or Tuesday and although I’m pretty happy with my config, the one thing I may compromise on is the reinforced underbody shield. I haven’t done much off-roading beyond what’s been required to get to some Washington hiking trails, but it’s always something I’ve been wanting to pick up. I recall the sentiment was that it was unnecessary beyond “extreme” off-roading, but I’m not sure where to draw the line. I also recall someone treading water (something we do a lot up here in WA) with the regular shield and getting their underbody ripped, so I’m going back and forth.

Does anyone here who off-roads regret or are happy they did or didn’t get the shield?

I know this question has been asked a few times, but I’m hoping with thousands more R1Ts in the wild, there may be some new, valuable insight.
I'm in WA (Renton) and I got the RUS. Glad I did, even if I don't really need it.

Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Unless you rock crawl more than off-road and you know how to drive you will be fine without the reinforced shield.

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I just had part of my underbody ripped off last week going through some deeper water (I didn't get the underbody shield). It was in the dark on a back country road, and I hit it at pretty good speed. It wasn't raining, just a slightly flooded section of road from an earlier rain that I didn't see in time to slow down enough for. It also seems that a bolt or two was missing from the torn off piece, so maybe part of it was hanging down just enough to catch the force of the water. It was more towards the back of the truck, behind the battery.

If you're not going to do any offroading, you're probably fine without the shield (just check those bolts!) If you are planning to get more into offroading, it doesn't seem like the plastic underbody on certain parts underneath are highly durable, especially more towards the back of the truck where there isn't battery to protect.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
I had the same debate. I went without after watching this video of an R1T without. In the video you will notice most the damage was not really related to the shield. It was the other parts that needed repairs when he drove off-road “aggressively” as he does. Mine should arrive in about a month rather than 3-6 more.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I just had part of my underbody ripped off last week going through some deeper water (I didn't get the underbody shield).
What the hell. I think that's three or four people I've heard who ripped off their standard underbody protection by going through a puddle. @branden ripped his off recently as well.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I just had part of my underbody ripped off last week going through some deeper water (I didn't get the underbody shield). It was in the dark on a back country road, and I hit it at pretty good speed. It wasn't raining, just a slightly flooded section of road from an earlier rain that I didn't see in time to slow down enough for. It also seems that a bolt or two was missing from the torn off piece, so maybe part of it was hanging down just enough to catch the force of the water. It was more towards the back of the truck, behind the battery.

If you're not going to do any offroading, you're probably fine without the shield (just check those bolts!) If you are planning to get more into offroading, it doesn't seem like the plastic underbody on certain parts underneath are highly durable, especially more towards the back of the truck where there isn't battery to protect.
My underbody cover towards the back also ripped off due to loose bolts.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I'm in WA (Renton) and I got the RUS. Glad I did, even if I don't really need it.
Mean streets of Renton, gonna need that RUS. Honestly though, you need 4x4 on some Seattle roads. I've known so many folks to blow out tires and damage wheels in SoDo.

Are Rus and Gear Guard Gary friends?

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired

If you are not going off road, there are costs aside from the initial $. It does weight something and that has an impact on your load capacity and, to some extent, on your range. I have the full size spare (22") and the underbody shield. The theoretical load is, as I recall, 1760lbs. My sticker:
Rivian R1T R1S To Shield or Not to Shield? Option the Reinforced Underbody Shield? 1670136646827

Between the shield and the spare, I lost almost 400 lbs off the load capacity.

I got the shield because some boondock camping is in order...and better safe than sorry. Worth asking the question. Before I got mine (April 4, 2022), there weren't a lot of people with the experience to have an informed opinion.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
If you are not going off road, there are costs aside from the initial $. It does weight something and that has an impact on your load capacity and, to some extent, on your range. I have the full size spare (22") and the underbody shield. The theoretical load is, as I recall, 1760lbs. My sticker:
1670136646827.png

Between the shield and the spare, I lost almost 400 lbs off the load capacity.

I got the shield because some boondock camping is in order...and better safe than sorry. Worth asking the question. Before I got mine (April 4, 2022), there weren't a lot of people with the experience to have an informed opinion.
I debated the off road Shield to many times and ultimately decided to not get it. The underbody shield weighs 140 lbs. I have the Adventurer with 22’s and the spare and my payload is 1,527. I know Rivian quotes 1760 ish lbs for payload but that must have been a theoretical Explorer model, which was never produced.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
It won’t be long before the aftermarket has an underbody shield option.
Sponsored