Underbody Shield - Worth it ?

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Seriously. I was thinking about dropping the shield to save weight but at 45 lbs, I'll probably keep it.
I’m thinking the same. If it’s mostly carbon fiber, it maybe adding some virginity and strength to the bottom of the pack. Watch the Monroe live, they’re looking at the under body.
Sponsored

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I’m thinking the same. If it’s mostly carbon fiber, it maybe adding some virginity and strength to the bottom of the pack. Watch the Monroe live, they’re looking at the under body.
Did you mean “rigidity?”

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Just took delivery of my LE without the off-road upgrade (looks like Rivian calls the underbody "On-Road" for my R1T) and according to the payload sticker my truck is 45 lbs. lighter without the extra protection. Payload limit is 1464 for me. I do have the spare 20" AT tire so not sure if that extra 80 lbs. is figured in. Pics of the door stickers attached.
Payload.jpg
weight.jpg
on road.jpg
I have the off-road package, 20" AT tires w/spare
1648667449870.png

1648667484708.png
Looks like it is actually 140 lbs.

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

I’m so torn about this… I don’t think I’d ever do something extreme enough to need it, but the “what if” keeps going through my mind. $2000 is not that much on top of the total price, but I’d still rather keep my money. Decisions, decisions…

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

My truck gets delivered this week. I wanted the underbody but they said it would be faster to get one without it so I opted out. But I would get it if you have the chance. Anything aftermarket is likely to cost you more and if you ever do any off-roading, the added peace of mind alone will be worth it.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

For me it’s a no brainer. I spent $1700 on a full belly skid for my wrangler, and it’s been heavily used. Granted I’m not taking the Rivian over the rubicon, but when I’m near places like Moab or Sand Hallow I know me…….I’ll have to do something dumb.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I wanted the underbody but they said it would be faster to get one without it so I opted out.
Very interesting data point. Thanks for sharing.

Up until recently, I believed that the off-road package increased your likelihood of an earlier delivery. Seems that's not the case.

Sponsored

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
The bigger weight you are saving is in your wallet. ;)
100%. I'll consider dropping it if it doesn't change my delivery timing. I'm not changing anything in my config until I speak with my guide.

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
Yeah - at this point I am actually more interested in whether it will impact delivery timing. I don't need it...but if it materially impacted (shortened) my delivery timing....I admit I would pay the premium to add it. For my R1S - Yes I am $2750 (CDN) impatient...I've been waiting since Dec 2018 ?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
100%. I'll consider dropping it if it doesn't change my delivery timing. I'm not changing anything in my config until I speak with my guide.
If the R1S deliveries mimic the R1T then by the time you talk to your guide they will have a vehicle matching what you have so any change will be a delay.

I have a June/July R1S window, I made the change to drop the additional shielding yesterday. I would be surprised at this point if it will impact my delivery negatively.

My personal take is they made 2 changes to the off-road configuration that seems like it was to reduce the number of that option selected. Speculation is to simplify manufacturing to limit options but if that was the case, why would they make it optional when originally it was included.

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Up until recently, I believed that the off-road package increased your likelihood of an earlier delivery. Seems that's not the case.
I think it really was a case by case basis at the end of the month/quarter here. I had the package on my vehicle but when speaking to my guide I asked about removing it. I gather that pretty much the only reason I was assigned a guide so early was because they had a vehicle that matched my specs already on its way to Minneapolis. So I kept the package to get the truck sooner. If I had removed it I was told the potential wait would be May/June for me but who knows. Essentially YMMV. Get what you want and know that it can't be added after delivery. Will I ever use/need it, highly doubtful, but its there if I wanted and could make the vehicle more compelling to someone at resale

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

After watching the Munro video of the R1T underbody, I'm inclined to believe that the "carbon fiber" layer that is under the battery is not actually the carbon fiber that we're used to seeing on high end sports and race cars known for it's weight benefits, but instead a type of carbon thermoplastic aka "Tegris". This is still very strong but doesn't have nearly as much tendency to shatter and break when it is pushed past it's stress and flex limits. The whole point of it is that it's a lot more flexible and wear resistant than regular carbon fiber, due to being infused with plastic. I'm also not a materials scientist, I've just seen the two different products explained before, and from what I saw in the video, it looked similar to Tegris and similar carbon composite materials.
Sponsored

Last edited: