First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
That's great but makes me wonder, what is the use case for Soft?
Me is use case. Crappy Wisconsin roads. I tried moderate based on all this internet stuff...but soft is still answer and better than it was....for my crappy roads.
Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

On our wish list should be adaptive suspension based on road conditions Just like the Rolls Royce and BMW’s. Since we have the cameras and GPS data this could easily be implemented. As the cams scan the road they adjust the dampening and suspension stiffness.
No this is your wishlist item. We all do not want automatic adaptive suspension. I can see for myself what the road looks like and I don't want to have to override what the vehicle does, if I don't want it to way the vehicle has decided, every time.

Frankly, I don't understand why people want to be just a passenger in the driver's seat. Modern convenience is one thing; however, to let the vehicle drive itself, adjust suspension settings, ride height, and auto routing. I get it if I have lost my ability to drive, or that I'm too old and am a hazard on the road. Until then, No Thanks!

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

No this is your wishlist item. We all do not want automatic adaptive suspension. I can see for myself what the road looks like and I don't want to have to override what the vehicle does, if I don't want it to way the vehicle has decided, every time.

Frankly, I don't understand why people want to be just a passenger in the driver's seat. Modern convenience is one thing; however, to let the vehicle drive itself, adjust suspension settings, ride height, and auto routing. I get it if I have lost my ability to drive, or that I'm too old and am a hazard on the road. Until then, No Thanks!
lol!

dude I drive several race cars and manuals. Until you experience adaptive suspensions you don’t know what you are talking about. Almost every sports car uses this technology and creates driving modes you could never configure. Also it’s instant. Imagine the ability to drive in soft on nice condition roads then. When the terrain changes the dampening instantly updates.

this is a game changing feature.

BTW. The Rivian already does part of this with the hydraulic active roll stabilization. Are you managing that your self?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

lol!

dude I drive several race cars and manuals. Until you experience adaptive suspensions you don’t know what you are talking about. Almost every sports car uses this technology and creates driving modes you could never configure. Also it’s instant. Imagine the ability to drive in soft on nice condition roads then. When the terrain changes the dampening instantly updates.

this is a game changing feature.

BTW. The Rivian already does part of this with the hydraulic active roll stabilization. Are you managing that your self?
Agree.

When you post adaptive suspension on the Rivian forum, 7K lbs truck/suv, I am thinking that the vehicle selects Rivian's Soft-Moderate-Stiff settings, not continuous contact to the road to maintain/maximize traction given driver selected drive mode.

So, I get it. It's just not what I think Rivian is.

As for driving a stick, that's all I drove until the kids came and needed a larger vehicles. I haven't driven any race cars in a long time. I used to do Formula Ford and enjoyed that a lot then. Would love to get behind the 718 GTe and probably get in line for the 718 Cayman EV.

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have 21 and moderate feels a little more bumpy compared to soft. I’ll probably keep soft. Does the wheel tighten with moderate or firm also?

Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

20" AT. I love all three modes in All Purpose.

Soft for crappy roads, moderate most of the time and firm when I don't care to use sport mode but want to take some backroads for a nice drive.

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Jaguar Fpace, 2001 Corvette
Occupation
Commercial real estate finance
I'm enjoying moderate in AP mode. Stiff was to bumpy and soft was bouncy. Moderate is a nice balance. I'll take more options - keep it up Rivian.

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

Agree.

When you post adaptive suspension on the Rivian forum, 7K lbs truck/suv, I am thinking that the vehicle selects Rivian's Soft-Moderate-Stiff settings, not continuous contact to the road to maintain/maximize traction given driver selected drive mode.

So, I get it. It's just not what I think Rivian is.

As for driving a stick, that's all I drove until the kids came and needed a larger vehicles. I haven't driven any race cars in a long time. I used to do Formula Ford and enjoyed that a lot then. Would love to get behind the 718 GTe and probably get in line for the 718 Cayman EV.
I 100% agree with you about Rivian not being the company to implement adaptive suspension. But it would be something that sets them apart and maintains a "premium".

We meant the same thing just saying it differently. I would never want it to select the mode for me from the current presets.

I am kind of sad my daughter wont probably have the ability to learn how to drive stick! The new GT-4RS and the cayman platform has really grown up.

Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP

If done correctly, adaptive suspension is awesome. You might have to experience it to truly understand. To me, the greatest part of adaptive suspension is when the vehicle "sees" rough roads/potholes and adjusts the suspension to help float over them instead of crashing into them. This can be done in milliseconds and is truly awesome. And then of course as soon as the road smooths out, you can get back to a stiffer suspension system that would otherwise be too harsh on rougher roads.

TigerWuxia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Am I the only one who feels "Moderate" mode is just fine without significant improvement?

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
After driving around with the new suspension updates and reading this thread. I wish Rivian would allow a user configurable profile, or fine tuning capabilities.

Suspension height +/- adder to specific axles on modes
Suspension damping +/- adders for compression and rebound

We can play around with the settings in a user configurable profile based on our preferences and roads. for me i think I'd like -1 in compression +1 in rebound for front axle.

So basically like EQ settings but for suspension.
Sponsored