First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I know I remember a thread where someone had developed cracks on their "front" subframe and had it replaced under warranty. From my understanding, the first generation of the subframes were welded and the thread I mentioned, the subframe may have cracked at the welds. Earlier today I was talking with my neighbor who works at Rivian and he said the newer subframes are no longer welded and my 3/24/23 built R1S should have the revised subframe. He did say that he really did not know when they were actually put into production vehicles, and he could only tell by the part number or visual inspection. Ofcourse that requires removing the bottom panels, which we weren't going to do. Now I'm curious...

I edited my original post, because I had titled it giving the wrong info, stating the rear subframes had been revised. This was not correct. The only post I found about "single" reported incident on this forum was infact a front subframe, where there could have been cracks. Since the op of that thread never saw them or inspected them himself, we are just guessing at this point. Either way, no other reports of them on this forum, so no need to go further. I'll leave the pictures up of the two different front subframe comparisons, but will remove the rears since they haven't changed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
First I heard of it. Now I want to know what version I have.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
These pictures are from a mid december built 2023 R1T and 3/24/23 built R1S. Front subframe with welded components is from an R1T and the fully cast subframe is from a newer R1S. Rear subframes appeared to both be the same, and could be the updated version.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone know when Rivian switched to the new "front" subframe?*edit* 20230507_132947

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone know when Rivian switched to the new "front" subframe?*edit* 20230507_133540

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone know when Rivian switched to the new "front" subframe?*edit* 20230507_133035

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone know when Rivian switched to the new "front" subframe?*edit* 20230507_133410

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone know when Rivian switched to the new "front" subframe?*edit* 20230507_133327

Last edited:

Sponsored

C12farmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE vehicles
Do you mean the front subframe is now cast?

One of the Munro videos that did a teardown of the R1T showed the rear subframe was always cast but the front was a bunch of welded pieces. Their comment was that it looked like Rivian ran out of time with the front subframe and had to launch with what they had.

OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Do you mean the front subframe is now cast?

One of the Munro videos that did a teardown of the R1T showed the rear subframe was always cast but the front was a bunch of welded pieces. Their comment was that it looked like Rivian ran out of time with the front subframe and had to launch with what they had.
You could be 100% correct that the rear was always the same. I'm not even sure how the conversation came up with my neighbor about a newer revised subframe. He mentioned the rear, but admitted he didn't know when or what was changed. He never even checked whether his mid december had the newer subframe components, but today I saw him switching out his road tires for the AT tires, so I went over and snapped some shots. Turns out his front was the older version and mine was the newer one.

Last edited:

Condor

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1S
Can you point out what weā€™re looking at in those photos?

OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Can you point out what weā€™re looking at in those photos?
First two pictures are of the front subframe structure where the lower suspension control arms attach to the vehicle. If you look at both closely, you will see that the subframe structure for the R1T is constructed of multiple parts that are welded together. Welded parts can introduce weaknesses at the welds, but that does not at all mean they are bad. It means that it costs a little more to produce in the long run. The fully cast and machined version does not have the welds and appears to be a little beefier. The third and fourth pictures are of the lower control arm connection points to the rear subframe. They appear to be the same in these two vehicles. Then fifth picture is the rear subframe of the r1t taken with the wheel removed. My R1S was harder to get the camera in close for a for a good picture and with my untrained, they looked pretty similar. Very early versions of the subframe may have not had the cast in window. But that window was probably added for assembly purposes.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I wonder how one knows if their welded version has developed cracks? I assume it would show up in alignment problems, noises, sagging corners, etc? Anything else?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder how one knows if their welded version has developed cracks? I assume it would show up in alignment problems, noises, sagging corners, etc? Anything else?
Probably doesn't matter. This was apparently covered in a Munro video and he was not. concerned about it. I wouldn't worry about it either, since it hasn't come up again on this board.

I edited my original post to remove the rear, since they are the same, not welded and have no reported issues.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Probably doesn't matter. This was apparently covered in a Munro video and he was not. concerned about it. I wouldn't worry about it either, since it hasn't come up again on this board.

I edited my original post to remove the rear, since they are the same, not welded and have no reported issues.
But there have been a fair number of reports of subframes being replaced at service centers, so something must happen at least now and then, that results in complete replacement being the solution.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

ive got a 19xxx VIN R1T, manufacture date of 2/23 and it has the cast subframe same as the photos OP posted. was a bit relieved to see that.

OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
But there have been a fair number of reports of subframes being replaced at service centers, so something must happen at least now and then, that results in complete replacement being the solution.
Some of those could have just been replaced as part of a front drive unit replacement. They would probably swap both at the same time, since the drive units are probably already mounted to them. Supply of the welded pieces is probably gone and replacing them as unit is faster and cheaper. Not to mention, it could have been done as precaution. Who knows...
Sponsored