Alignment issues. Anyone else?

Live2Fly93

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have an R1S launch edition with the sport bright wheels and I’ve noticed that it pulls to the right. Rivian has done 2 alignment on it and the issue is still the same. Being told due to the weight that the car tends to follow the crown of the road. Is this something anyone else has experienced?
Rivian R1T R1S Alignment issues. Anyone else? IMG_8423
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Following the crown of the road is a thing but, without driving your vehicle first hand, I suspect you most likely need a better alignment tech. My R1S doesn't do this. Do you have a printout of your post-alignment specs you can share?

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Plenty of issues and many threads on this. Search for threads with "alignment" and you'll get hundreds of comments.

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

Does it always do it, or more so on certain roads? And does the steering wheel shake at all? I thought mine had a bad alignment, but after a good road force wheel balance, the steering wheel shake is almost gone and it no longer pulls a bit to the right. But those things were worse on certain roads.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
I also suggest testing to see if your vehicle pulls to the left when the road crowns to the left.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Live2Fly93

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Following the crown of the road is a thing but, without driving your vehicle first hand, I suspect you most likely need a better alignment tech. My R1S doesn't do this. Do you have a printout of your post-alignment specs you can share?
Unfortunately, no, I used to get this when I would take my other cars to be aligned, but Rivian just gives you the service recap in the email and does not include the actual report from the machine.

OP
OP

Live2Fly93

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Does it always do it, or more so on certain roads? And does the steering wheel shake at all? I thought mine had a bad alignment, but after a good road force wheel balance, the steering wheel shake is almost gone and it no longer pulls a bit to the right. But those things were worse on certain roads.
I do think there is some validity to what they’re saying about following the crown of the road. They also said that this would happen more on the Rivian because of the weight of the vehicle than other cars. It does it on all roads. So I don’t think that this is the problem entirely, especially because it will actually drift right from the left-hand lane although not as much.

OP
OP

Live2Fly93

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It always does it, but it’s more uncertain Rhodes per my comments below. This steering wheel does not shake.

OP
OP

Live2Fly93

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It’s been aligned three times in the last four months. I’m not sure if the same person did it all three times as it was done through a Rivian service center.

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

You need to find a good flat road or parking lot to test.

Its normal for it to pull on certain roads due to crowning. You can access the RIDE menu and view steering angle while driving on a confirmed flat road or parking lot.

Alignment in these vehicles usually presents as the vehicle steering wheel has to be held off center for it to track straight.

Rainman

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Taycan
It took three alignments for Rivian to get it right on my R1T. I agree that it is all about the alignment tech / shop. The third time, the shop foreman did a test ride with me and understood the issue. When I got it back the issue was finally resolved. The positive is that this is the biggest issue I have had in ten months of ownership.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
It does not pull left.
If it pulls to the right when the road is crowned to the left, then there is definitely something wrong. But, just to be sure, are you determining it's pulling because you need to apply pressure, or are you determining it because the steering wheel isn't pointing straight. It's possible that it's just the steering will is off center.

Erikbecker

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanical engineer
Have you had the suspension components checked? Sometimes issues with suspension bushings or even tire wear can contribute to a persistent pull.

OP
OP

Live2Fly93

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It took three alignments for Rivian to get it right on my R1T. I agree that it is all about the alignment tech / shop. The third time, the shop foreman did a test ride with me and understood the issue. When I got it back the issue was finally resolved. The positive is that this is the biggest issue I have had in ten months of ownership.
Yeah I hear you. We did 2 rides so far and they say they test it but it still drifts. The steering wheel is straight when it happens
Sponsored