Sponsored

Rivian R1S Service Center Alignment Specifications

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I’ve seen multiple folks asking for alignment specs for the SUV.

I had my vehicle aligned recently by the service center and asked for before and after printouts.

The manager was able to print it out for me but one value - Caster was not updated before she printed it out.

The manager confirmed my alignment was off and that they were able to bring it all back into spec including the one value in red for caster.

steering wheel centering is much better and the slight drift to the right has been resolved.

I still have a slight drift to the left when I hold the steering wheel exactly straight. It drives straight when I let the wheel go and hold it in it’s natural position.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S Service Center Alignment Specifications IMG_6373
Sponsored

Riviam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad Motor (Glacier White) 21” wheels
I also have a slight drift to the right that has been happening since delivery. Didn’t notice it on first mile drive.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

They fixed my alignment in July and it was perfect. Now she is off to the left again. Thankfully I already have a service scheduled for mid December.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Anyone familiar with Rivian's alignment procedure? Specifically, which suspension configuration would the specs above apply? All purpose, standard height? Do they require ballast like some manufacturers?

What about any specific details of how much the alignment values change between standard and low ride heights?

R1TCentralMa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Computer Sci Stuff
Anyone familiar with Rivian's alignment procedure? Specifically, which suspension configuration would the specs above apply? All purpose, standard height? Do they require ballast like some manufacturers?

What about any specific details of how much the alignment values change between standard and low ride heights?
Per my local SC, Chelsea, they will only align a vehicle in Standard Mode. They expect one to primarily drive in that mode and with the regen in Standard as well.

I mentioned that I mainly drive, 70% or more, in AP low mode. Would they please align the vehicle while in AP Low? I was told no.

With my very limited knowledge in the alignment process, I thought. Would it not be best to do the aligment based on the owners needs, as long as it is safe?

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Per my local SC, Chelsea, they will only align a vehicle in Standard Mode. They expect one to primarily drive in that mode and with the regen in Standard as well.

I mentioned that I mainly drive, 70% or more, in AP low mode. Would they please align the vehicle while in AP Low? I was told no.

With my very limited knowledge in the alignment process, I thought. Would it not be best to do the aligment based on the owners needs, as long as it is safe?
Thanks for that feedback!

Due to the significant variability of suspension geometry with ride height, I expect their alignment specs to be defined in the context of a reference ride height and such that they are reasonable and safe across all suspension modes. The service techs won't align to something different because (a) they have to follow procedure (b) they may not know how far off the alignment would be say in the highest ride height and (c) liability. An independent shop would be more likely to align to custom specs. I used to have this done all the time with my modified BMW.

If I can find a cooperative local shop, I want to see just exactly how much toe changes between the standard and low ride heights. 98% of my driving is in Sport/Low so will be optimizing toe for that config if there is enough difference to justify it.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I believe that Discount Tire has posted that once Rivian releases their alignment specofications they will be able to do Rivian wheel alignment a a number of their locations. With Discount Tire being able to do tire rotation, balance, and alignment, some workload will come off the Rivian Service centers.

Brian

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I believe that Discount Tire has posted that once Rivian releases their alignment specofications they will be able to do Rivian wheel alignment a a number of their locations. With Discount Tire being able to do tire rotation, balance, and alignment, some workload will come off the Rivian Service centers.

Brian
There is a DT in my area that does alignments but it's looking to be later this year before they can officially do Rivians. For some reason I have July in my head, don't recall if that was what DT was expecting or if I'm just making that up.

I have a shop just up the street that has encouraged me to come in even through they don't have specs yet so I'm hoping they will be as curious as I am and willing to take reading for at least Standard and Low ride heights and then align to my own custom spec.

R1TCentralMa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Computer Sci Stuff
Thanks for that feedback!

Due to the significant variability of suspension geometry with ride height, I expect their alignment specs to be defined in the context of a reference ride height and such that they are reasonable and safe across all suspension modes. The service techs won't align to something different because (a) they have to follow procedure (b) they may not know how far off the alignment would be say in the highest ride height and (c) liability. An independent shop would be more likely to align to custom specs. I used to have this done all the time with my modified BMW.

If I can find a cooperative local shop, I want to see just exactly how much toe changes between the standard and low ride heights. 98% of my driving is in Sport/Low so will be optimizing toe for that config if there is enough difference to justify it.
A, b and c are valid points. I place "c" at the top of the list.

No Discount Tire near me, Massachusetts.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I am looking forward to DT being able to handle the alignment as I am nowhere near any Rivian SC.

Brian

Sponsored

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Standard Mode? I have All Purpose, Conserve, Sport, and All Terrain Modes - no standard mode.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Standard Mode? I have All Purpose, Conserve, Sport, and All Terrain Modes - no standard mode.
Standard ride height, not mode.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Just ran across this great info on Reddit.

Sponsored