LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

R1S is finally a well-sorted, planted ride with excellent roll control and dampening. Pushed it hard up to 60mph on unimproved access road and it felt almost “trophy truck” cushy the way it absorbed without harshness. Happy camper! :clap:
Sponsored

bdwalters

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Hardware Engineer
I agree. I’m running in AP moderate all the time now. It’s the best road setting for me. We have terrible roads around my house, but this handles them fine.

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
R1S is finally a well-sorted, planted ride with excellent roll control and dampening. Pushed it hard up to 60mph on unimproved access road and it felt almost “trophy truck” cushy the way it absorbed without harshness. Happy camper! :clap:
I agree, best update yet! It’s the perfect balance and not at all bouncy or unsettled like soft was before.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Agreed on my R1T they must have hired an external consultant to get the dampening and rebound adjusted this much. Too little dampening and too much rebound made previous soft ride jerky and clunky. Now moderate is great and I'll try soft on my TN roadtrip this weekend.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Pushed it hard up to 60mph on unimproved access road and it felt almost “trophy truck” cushy the way it absorbed without harshness. Happy camper! :clap:
That's great but makes me wonder, what is the use case for Soft?

Sponsored

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

Moderate on the R1T is not better that soft. A poll was just posted and something like 77% of owners prefer soft to all other drive modes.

I really wanted moderate to be a slightly firm version of soft but what we got was a slightly softer version of stiff. I know several other owners who had high hopes for moderate, but everyone concluded soft, and AP is the best setup for daily driving.

Soft is so smooth on the highway at 75, no comparison.

BTW what rim and tire configuration are you using? I am on 21". this may have a big factor in overall ride mode selection.

Last edited:

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

It's not exactly like a Mason 4WD Trophy Truck, but I hear you. My wifes R1S rides better than my R1T now. She loves it, and it's a joy to drive. Rivian's aggressive approach to OTA and hearing community members is a genuine asset to them, and ultimate us.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Im on 20” ATs

Joe Hoffman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S & 2013 CMAX Energi Plugin
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I also seemed to notice less clicky sounds when starting out. Much appreciated. Anyone else notice this improvement with the latest update?

DonkeyKong

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch & 2022 R1T Quad
I am on 22’s and soft still feels harsh to me. But that could just be the 22’s. I will try moderate today and see if the bouncy part is at least better.

Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I am on 22’s and soft still feels harsh to me. But that could just be the 22’s. I will try moderate today and see if the bouncy part is at least better.
The 22s definitely ride more harshly if you're anywhere the roads are less than ideal, but I do find the new moderate to take almost all the "bounce" out of the R1S. I do wish certain things were a bit less jarring but I think that it's always going to be the case on the 22s - there's just not enough sidewall to give added "soak"on a 7k lb vehicle. Still, I find moderate to be the best setting at this point. I'd still love to see things keep improving over time but this is a decent compromise between floaty/bouncy soft and running over a penny sounding/feeling like you ran over a cinder block - it's got some give, but the damping is way more controlled than soft previously was

RedRaiderRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T - Canyon Red
I also seemed to notice less clicky sounds when starting out. Much appreciated. Anyone else notice this improvement with the latest update?
I am still getting a lot of noise and jarring over bumps at low speed in my R1T. I was waiting for this update to see if it fixed the issue but no luck. I now have a mid March service appointment to have the suspension looked at along with an issue with my front passenger window not closing completely.

Joe Hoffman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S & 2013 CMAX Energi Plugin
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I had the window noise problem. SC replaced the window seal, problem solved.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

After driving a bit on AP moderate, found that the difference between the AP and Sport modes are more pronounced.

Even in the AP stiff vs Sport stiff, there is more of difference than before - and that's a good thing.

All that said, the new change keeps me in the Sport mode more than AP, than before. Perhaps on the long road trip, I'll use AP more...

As one said above, I don't know the use case for soft, other than on off roads and maybe cobblestone roads.

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

On our wish list should be adaptive suspension based on road conditions Just like the Rolls Royce and BMW’s. Since we have the cameras and GPS data this could easily be implemented. As the cams scan the road they adjust the dampening and suspension stiffness.
Sponsored