Sponsored

Woa Tesla Cybertruck getting 1000-Volt architecture capable of V4 supercharging

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
1000V battery sounds great, from a fast charging perspective. The question is how would that work when all the v3 and v3 chargers output only 400ish volts?
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The problem becomes getting all of the waste heat out. It might actually be faster not to abuse the battery like that because they can't evacuate the heat for a long duration charge.
Totally agree. Lately I've been thinking that pack cooling capacity may be the short term differentiator for charging. For example, the Rivian large pack doesn't seem capable of dissipating even 200kw of charging, let alone 500 or 750kw.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

1000V battery sounds great, from a fast charging perspective. The question is how would that work when all the v3 and v3 chargers output only 400ish volts?
Oops, thanks to you the cybertruck is delayed another year.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Electric Semi Delivered to Pepsi this week is a huge win.
Tesla's free Autopilot set the bar, and works well. (FSD beta looks cool too, even with it's issues)
Imagine hauling a trailer with autosteer to assist you, no gears, central seating for the best view, no jake brake noise, etc...It will change local trucking for the better.
You are so right. The company I retired from preordered some before I left. If the operating cost are even just a few percentage points better (I expect way more than a few points), they will switch over the fleet. When I was there we turned over our fleet preferably at 7 years, at most 10 years and these trucks will cover probably 75% or more of their runs. With wages and operating costs at the top of the expense list, companies that don’t switch to electric won’t be able to compete.

I love it and wish I was still driving.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

....I would be surprised if it can average more than 2 kWh per mile fully loaded. If it takes 800 kWh to go 400 miles and you can charge at 400 kWh per hour, you’re still idle for 2 hours and I think I am being generous.

I like the idea of it, just wish we had more details about efficiency, charge curves, and targeted business case.
Here's the time lapse video:

From Fremont CA to San Diego over the Grapevine on I-5.

and how long it took:
Rivian R1T R1S Woa Tesla Cybertruck getting 1000-Volt architecture capable of V4 supercharging 1670006424367

The fact is regardless of efficiencies, this feat is something Bill Gates said it cannot be done and Daimer said if Tesla does it, they missed completely on the technology.

I don't understand the Elon/Tesla bashing on this forum. You don't have to like him. His accomplishments speak for themselves. It's often over promised and behind schedule but eventually, he gets done.

Without Elon, Model 3 would not exist and (Tesla probably out of business) and all the legacy mfg be dragging their feet on EVs. Without Elon, we wouldn't have reusable 1st stage booster. NASA spent hundreds of millions trying to make flyback booster work in the last 3 decades and gave up. They put ULA (Boeing/LM) to build SLS and... talk about behind schedule???? It will be Space X that will put the human back on the Moon first (well, second after Saturn-V).

Agree that Elon is polarizing - so what. As a Tesla owner and future Rivian owner, I want both to do well. As for the business itself, I own more than I care to admit both TSLA and RIVN shares so I really need both to do much better...)

EDIT:
Forgot to add that it was with full load of 82Klbs.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

500 miles of time.
Haha,

It was at freeway speed. Not snail or hypermile speed.

Tesla has over 1000 semi orders and if it didn't perform as promised, these companies will not accept the vehicle. The first 5 delivered to Pesico for real work and not for publicity stunt.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
500V on V3, and can do more amps than CCS. But the CT can also charge on CCS.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Here's the time lapse video:

From Fremont CA to San Diego over the Grapevine on I-5.

and how long it took:
1670006424367.png

The fact is regardless of efficiencies, this feat is something Bill Gates said it cannot be done and Daimer said if Tesla does it, they missed completely on the technology.

I don't understand the Elon/Tesla bashing on this forum. You don't have to like him. His accomplishments speak for themselves. It's often over promised and behind schedule but eventually, he gets done.

Without Elon, Model 3 would not exist and (Tesla probably out of business) and all the legacy mfg be dragging their feet on EVs. Without Elon, we wouldn't have reusable 1st stage booster. NASA spent hundreds of millions trying to make flyback booster work in the last 3 decades and gave up. They put ULA (Boeing/LM) to build SLS and... talk about behind schedule???? It will be Space X that will put the human back on the Moon first (well, second after Saturn-V).

Agree that Elon is polarizing - so what. As a Tesla owner and future Rivian owner, I want both to do well. As for the business itself, I own more than I care to admit both TSLA and RIVN shares so I really need both to do much better...)

EDIT:
Forgot to add that it was with full load of 82Klbs.
Not really bashing, as I said looks like a good solution for local or short haul but not long haul. They started at 97% and ended at 4%, that is not something you can do 1 or 2 times a day using 4680 batteries. Even Musk has said they have a 1500 charge cycle, trying to do 1000 miles a day you are halfway through the charge cycles in the first year.

There is also no data on the battery pack they used or what the actual consumption rate is. Assuming around 2 kWh per mile it would be a 1000 kWh pack.

It is certainly a good first step and for local/short haul use cases is a decent rig.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Not really bashing, as I said looks like a good solution for local or short haul but not long haul. They started at 97% and ended at 4%, that is not something you can do 1 or 2 times a day using 4680 batteries. Even Musk has said they have a 1500 charge cycle, trying to do 1000 miles a day you are halfway through the charge cycles in the first year.

There is also no data on the battery pack they used or what the actual consumption rate is. Assuming around 2 kWh per mile it would be a 1000 kWh pack.

It is certainly a good first step and for local/short haul use cases is a decent rig.
Yes, and Tesla chose California for the 500 mile drive because of the 55 mph speed limit. The truck wouldn't go 500 miles at real world 65-70mph speeds.

But the range shouldn't matter much. Most day cabs probably average a couple hundred miles per day.

Sponsored

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This is an interesting headline, but not because I will ever buy a cybertruck (and likely never a Tesla).
Rather I would like to see how this benefits the overall charging situation for EVs.
Right now there's not enough CCS L3 chargers, the Tesla chargers are still proprietary, it takes 'too long' to charge, and the range needs to improve.
If any of those can be made better by Elon or Joe or Gretchen and help the overall EV situation then I'm all for it.

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

semi is a glorious marketing stunt imo with the current battery and charging technology. To get realistic, we need a solid state battery with charging speed at 2 to 3 times faster than current speed and the density of the battery should be a lot better to be more than 1k.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired

Quattro Powers

First Name
QP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I noticed one very suspicious things about that video, that trucker is very skinny! How many truckers look like that in real life? I’ll bet Tesla hired the lightest driver it could find.
Sponsored