Sponsored

Porche can sell you a car with 0-60 in 3.1 and a range of 233 miles for only $163,400K

RockiesRoad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It is 233 miles for the '24 Taycan Cross Turismo.

'25 Taycan Cross Turismo will be much improved. The official '25 numbers aren't in yet.

The already very good charging curve will be improved.

And since EPA test highway range at 48 mph and Taycan has a two speed transmission it severely underrates real world highway range vs competitors with a single reduction gear. Range at 65-85 mph is what matters. Every EV has more than enough range for around town city driving.

Porsche has sold over 136k Taycans globally at $80-$230k. Taycan 1.5 will be much improved overall.
I am not understanding why this thread is on the Rivian forum. Many/most owners are looking for something Porsche et al etc just don’t have: almost 15 inches of ground clearance to get you up a rugged mountain road to the trailhead, towing capacity, and cargo space for me to brought home a refrigerator when I didn’t want to wait for delivery. That it can even zoom or handle in the same space as these other vehicles that can’t do what it does is just a bonus.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I am not understanding why this thread is on the Rivian forum. Many/most owners are looking for something Porsche et al etc just don’t have: almost 15 inches of ground clearance to get you up a rugged mountain road to the trailhead, towing capacity, and cargo space for me to brought home a refrigerator when I didn’t want to wait for delivery. That it can even zoom or handle in the same space as these other vehicles that can’t do what it does is just a bonus.
The R1T is a jack of all trades and makes fairly significant sacrifices in all areas in order to do that. If you want a single vehicle that can do most things pretty well it’s a great truck but there are way better off-roaders, haulers, tow vehicles, sports cars, etc that the Rivian can’t even hold a candle to.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Not sure about a Camry, but lots of BMWs are built and incredibly fast. Think twice before trying to smoke one with a Rivian.
I am talking about the Cars (BMW, Lexus, Infinti, Camry etc) that are so low the tires are sticking out like a deer on a frozen lake. The tailpipe makes it all "show, no go".

My rule of thumb is "Just because I can, doesn't mean I have too"

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I am talking about the Cars (BMW, Lexus, Infinti, Camry etc) that are so low the tires are sticking out like a deer on a frozen lake. The tailpipe makes it all "show, no go".

My rule of thumb is "Just because I can, doesn't mean I have too"
Oh yeah... stanced is what they like to call that. Those cars are definitely not fast at all. They really can't be when you consider they only have like 10% of the tire tread actually touching the road 😂

Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Oh yeah... stanced is what they like to call that. Those cars are definitely not fast at all. They really can't be when you consider they only have like 10% of the tire tread actually touching the road 😂
I laugh at my son. He has had 3 BMW's and his latest one he has had to replace the turbo 2 times and starter and something else. I tell him to get a reliable car like a Toyota or Honda. He says "Dad, those are old people's car". I tell him "Might be old peoples car, but, mine is hasn't given me any trouble ever".....LOL

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

GT4 RS, I'm assuming, correct? That's about as polar opposite to a Rivian as you can get. It's a track machine. Nothing in common with a Rivan othe than both are street legal.
Yes - thank you. Correcting it now.

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

The R1T is a jack of all trades and makes fairly significant sacrifices in all areas in order to do that. If you want a single vehicle that can do most things pretty well it’s a great truck but there are way better off-roaders, haulers, tow vehicles, sports cars, etc that the Rivian can’t even hold a candle to.
Exactly. The question that one should be asking is whether the places where Rivian falls short of its competition meaningful for that person.

With all the cars/trucks we have collectively owned, we could have chosen for more of the same. I’m happy to be driving something different.

ozziegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Quad, 15 Macan Turbo, 94 MR2 Turbo
I would take that over my R1S any day of the week. Alas, I need 3 rows and more cargo space...

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Some people do cross shop Porsches and Rivians. I was actually looking at the Tycan but went with the Rivian because of my previous issues with speed.

The R1S is my first SUV. I have only had sports cars. I have to admit that I used to drive like I stole the cars. Very "gone in 60 seconds." I'm not sure why. I'm inclined to blame the cars. Now that I have a R1, I drive it like i just got out of a meditation retreat. I know the car is capable but I'm content. My wife is very happy too.

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

Now that I have a R1, I drive it like i just got out of a meditation retreat. I know the car is capable but I'm content. My wife is very happy too.
So true. Same with me. I’m wondering whether the seats have anything to do with that difference. My previous vehicles had medium to strong side bolsters. The Rivian’s seats seem to permit more side to side sliding.

Last edited:

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

Every once in a while I think, "man, I'd love to have a Porsche", but then I get on the configurator and I make it about halfway down and it feels like I'm having a conversation with my pure-bred, German AF mother and give up. "Und vat kind ov stitching do you vant? NO! You cannot have zat und dis color on your disk brakes! Start over!"

I mean, I also can't afford to buy (or have) one, but let's focus on one thing at a time.
Sponsored