Sponsored

Woa Tesla Cybertruck getting 1000-Volt architecture capable of V4 supercharging

Thud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I’m sure it’ll be capable of 1000V charging but that will be a moot point for most drivers, because the 1000V charging stations aren’t exactly going to be ubiquitous - at least for a very long time.

I have both a CT on order as well as R1T (as of yesterday) so they will probably be ready for me around the same time (early 2024?) and so I’ll have to choose between more advanced EV drivetrain/battery tech, vs. usability and creature comforts like control stalks and steering wheels.
Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Yes, but doesn't answer the question. A 1000V pack requires a 1000V+ charger AFAIK.
Split pack circuit that can charge 500V/1000V. The CT may still have 500V inverters/motors.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Probably a mistake to read through this thread on a Sunday morning ... before church ... lol! Lots of folks angry with Elon (I empathize).

FWIW, Elon did not build the Semi. He did not design it, he did not engineer its battery pack or drive train or anything else. Semi is one project in one division of one of four companies for which Elon is chief executive. His involvement in any detailed vehicle project is very limited.

Dan Priestly (guy with beard at the customer delivery event) is the person who has led this program. He and the hundreds of folks who worked on it deserve the credit. Congrats to all of those men and women who pulled this off! It will have a huge impact on the biggest piece of the Class 8 truck business (80% of which occurs intra-state).

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
On the actual subject of the thread.... :)

The big question for me on the 1,000 V architecture and the MW charging system is whether (a) the Semi is using the new CHARIN mw plug standard that has been co-developed with Tesla and (b) if the CT is also using the same plug.

If the answer to those questions are both yes then this could be incredibly important news. It would mean the CT can re-charge at truck stops. The rapid charging will be terrific, but even more importantly it means that there will quickly be a big vehicle fleet that can help give truck-stop operators a customer base to encourage them to install charging facilities. This, in turn, will help speed the adoption of electric trucks. And for fleet operators, installing a MW charger for their class 8 fleet will enable them to also do rapid fill on their light duty CT pickup fleet. And if all of that is correct, then surely GM & Ford will move to the new charger quickly. GM should already be able to handle the standard with its 800V architecture and Ford will be able to do so when they release the real F150 Lightning.

This could be a very big deal or it could be another Tesla proprietary solution that pushes against the current.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Probably a mistake to read through this thread on a Sunday morning ... before church ... lol! Lots of folks angry with Elon (I empathize).

FWIW, Elon did not build the Semi. He did not design it, he did not engineer its battery pack or drive train or anything else. Semi is one project in one division of one of four companies for which Elon is chief executive. His involvement in any detailed vehicle project is very limited.

Dan Priestly (guy with beard at the customer delivery event) is the person who has led this program. He and the hundreds of folks who worked on it deserve the credit. Congrats to all of those men and women who pulled this off! It will have a huge impact on the biggest piece of the Class 8 truck business (80% of which occurs intra-state).
If that were true and well known micromanager Elon had little to do with the development of the semi, then “Tesla semi inc.” or whatever that division is called should find a new traveling salesman to perform at their events.

Sponsored

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
Wow, if there's so much Tesla hate here, how much crap will I catch for this? Can't we all just get along? The Cybertruck is going to be sick. Looking at it might make you feel sick, but I have no doubt the performance and capability is going to be insanely good. By the way, I love my R1T and think it's (currently) the best all around vehicle ever made. (pic) This is just for trolling the trolls... 😅

Rivian R1T R1S Woa Tesla Cybertruck getting 1000-Volt architecture capable of V4 supercharging IMG_2545.JPG

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Wow, if there's so much Tesla hate here, how much crap will I catch for this? Can't we all just get along? The Cybertruck is going to be sick. Looking at it might make you feel sick, but I have no doubt the performance and capability is going to be insanely good. By the way, I love my R1T and think it's (currently) the best all around vehicle ever made. (pic) This is just for trolling the trolls... 😅

IMG_2545.JPG
I was previously aware that there are some pretty despicable people out there.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Cybertruck doesn't exist yet. This will only be impressive once Cybertruck is being produced and there are actually v4 chargers deployed with enough numbers where its a viable option to charge at one.

vinsk

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5 Competition, X7 M50i
Occupation
Engineer
And I thought R1T and R1S didn't exist till last year but the forums were pretty busy since their intro's!
Give a break to the guy who made this industry possible. No one's perfect but competition's always healthy.

Reactions: Ash

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Cybertruck doesn't exist yet. This will only be impressive once Cybertruck is being produced and there are actually v4 chargers deployed with enough numbers where its a viable option to charge at one.
Can we just agree to make sure Elon is on the Mars explorer rocket? Think of the humanity that will be saved as a result.
Sponsored