First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
It went 500 miles but no data on the battery or consumption. Looks like they have the 4680 batteries, I’m surprised they did not go with LFP, the 4680 is not designed to charge to 100% on a regular basis. Seems like for a commercial application the LFP, although not having as much power does allow going to 100% and has a higher duty cycle for number of charges.

These would probably be good for local runs but long haul rigs have 1000 to 2000 miles of range, 500 will not cut it especially if it takes 1000 kWh to do it, I would be surprised if it can average more than 2 kWh per mile fully loaded. If it takes 800 kWh to go 400 miles and you can charge at 400 kWh per hour, you’re still idle for 2 hours and I think I am being generous.

I like the idea of it, just wish we had more details about efficiency, charge curves, and targeted business case.
The point of 1 MW charger is so they can charge the ( guessing) 800 to 1000kwh semi battery to 80+% in less than an hour.. Tesla has already proven that they can charge the 75kwh Model 3 at 250kw.. 4 years ago. The charging ratios are actually in the semi favor comparatively, so it should charge at 1megawatt for longer.
You would have to take thier word for it, but Elon said " under" 2kwh fully loaded on the 500 mile test, over and down the grapevine.. that's just flat out impressive. #billgateseatmyshorts
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I, like many here have a deposit on the CT, and with my R1T delivery scheduled for Jan/Feb 2023 will almost certainly have my Rivian for maybe even 2yrs before they get to my CT reservation. With that in mind, depending on reviews and owner feedback I would have no issue taking delivery of a CT to at least to give it a try. So while I may dislike Elon's constant barrage of BS claims, nonsensical "value adds" (like using the CT as a boat) and continual drama... I'm still willing to purchase a Tesla vehicle if it's up to snuff.

I don't know if I speak for many here but how about.. "just STFU up and make the truck already!!".

Last edited:

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
I hope and believe all the electric vehicle companies will keep improving their models.

It’s how progress works. So this is good news, but not revolutionary.

Me personally? I’d never buy a cyber truck, but that’s just me. It looks like somebody asked a 6th grader from 1985 to draw his dream truck and gave him a sheet of paper, a number 2 pencil, and a ruler.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
I, like many here have a deposit on the CT, and with my R1T delivery scheduled for Jan/Feb 2023 will almost certainly have my Rivian for maybe even 2yrs before they get to my CT reservation. With that in mind, depending on reviews and owner feedback I would have no issue taking delivery of a CT at least to give it a try. So while I may dislike Elon's constant barrage of BS claims and continual drama... I'm still willing to purchase a Tesla vehicle if it's up to snuff.

I don't know if I speak for many here but how about.. "just STFU up and make the truck already!!".
I'm in roughly the same situation, with a reservation for a CT and one for an R1T, though a Max in my case. I really hate the looks of the CT, but if it does have the range and is available before the Max, I may go ahead with the purchase.

I suspect that Rivian may kill off the quad R1T Max in favor of the dual-motor, thus rendering the pre-March pricing worthless, and making several years of waiting pointless. Even if that's not the case and Rivian does go ahead with the quad R1T Max, my guess is that neither it nor the CT will be delivered in significant numbers before 2025.

I'm preparing for that eventuality, and am now hoping that my Aptera reservation results in an EV for around-town use in my driveway next year, allowing me to reserve my ICE SUV for towing and family trips.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That will be next week's big press relaese.. "Cyber Truck now has 10,000 volt charging capability". Which would actually be brilliant because who could prove them wrong?
I'm expecting the next breakthrough ends up being that fast chargers just rectify medium voltage and EVs just use medium voltage for charging. I have no idea about the insulation requirements for it though as that's way outside of my wheelhouse.

I'm a little curious if Rivian already supports 800V charging and it needs a SW update for that feature or if that's an R2 feature? I'm still curious how much of a difference it would make.
I didn't see anything that could be switching hardware in the Munro Live teardown of the battery. They didn't really go into what each particular thing was in the pack like I expected them to, but it looks like there are only two leads coming off the internal modules in the pack itself, not four like would be necessary to do pack switching. Personally I think the pack switching route is a mistake when the entire system could be designed for 800V from the start. The Hummer has some definite issues with keeping the two halves of the pack in balance while fast charging if the battery pack itself doesn't have perfect internal balance.

Last edited:

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Tesla just raised the bar with 1,000v charging architecture.

I watched the Semi livestream yesterday and was amazed to learn that ONE Plaid electric motor powers the Semi the majority of the time. It has three electric motors, one of which drives the truck most of the time while the other two are used mostly for acceleration and hard pulling. The Semi can pull up to 82,000 pounds.
The truck has the capability to actually accelerate and pass other vehicles when climbing a grade. Incredible.

This truck will be a game changer in the Class 8 segment. It's amazing that Tesla went from a concept to production in only 60 months.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I'm in roughly the same situation, with a reservation for a CT and one for an R1T, though a Max in my case. I really hate the looks of the CT, but if it does have the range and is available before the Max, I may go ahead with the purchase.

I suspect that Rivian may kill off the quad R1T Max in favor of the dual-motor, thus rendering the pre-March pricing worthless, and making several years of waiting pointless. Even if that's not the case and Rivian does go ahead with the quad R1T Max, my guess is that neither it nor the CT will be delivered in significant numbers before 2025.

I'm preparing for that eventuality, and am now hoping that my Aptera reservation results in an EV for around-town use in my driveway next year, allowing me to reserve my ICE SUV for towing and family trips.
I have no basis for this, but I do agree that it’s highly unlikely we will ever see the current quad motor R1T with the max pack. Rivian’s announcement that the max will come to dual motor first strongly suggests that the max pack is being engineered in tandem with the enduro motors, likely based on a higher voltage architecture.

A quad motor max pack is more likely to be a quad Enduro motor max pack, with significantly higher power, and likely a significantly higher price to match. It would not surprise me if Rivian “cancels” the current max pack and invites people to downgrade to large, “downgrade” to dual motor, or to wait and upgrade (including new pricing) to the quad Enduro max pack.

A quad enduro max pack may also be positioned as a performance halo that focuses on the power while the dual motor max pack may be the true “longer range” option.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Everyone here is pointing out the endless delays for the Cybertruck and Tesla Semi, yet ignoring the Max Pack's similar predicament (along with all the other smaller Rivian features which were promised but never delivered or canceled). Elon may over promise and under deliver, but he's not the only EV start up CEO who's done that in the past few years...

1000v architecture on the Cybertruck will be cool. If it happens and is usable, it'll definitely give Tesla the competitive edge they've been losing for the past few years. And I just watched a video of a fully-loaded EV semi drive 500 miles on a single charge (starting at 97%, and with 4% left at the end), so who am I to doubt that the rest is also possible?
The delays of CT and semi are due to success and battery scarcity. It's still probably not a great idea to make the 500 mile semi.

Most likely CT and semi will be impressive. I see many technical and manufacturing achievements from Tesla. By contrast designing and selling vehicles that are sold below cost is not an achievement.

Jared2

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Won't this TRASH the battery pack?
I mean it's great for owner #1, but seems like the guy who buys it 3 years later is going to be like WTF???

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
1000v architecture on the Cybertruck will be cool. If it happens and is usable, it'll definitely give Tesla the competitive edge they've been losing for the past few years. And I just watched a video of a fully-loaded EV semi drive 500 miles on a single charge (starting at 97%, and with 4% left at the end), so who am I to doubt that the rest is also possible?
1000v in and of itself isn't a competitive edge. It's functionally the same as other high and vehicles and the large trucks GM is putting out (for example).

What it does do is help reduce current demands to achieve the same charging speed. The key will be whether Tesla provides more than 360kw at all of their v4 chargers since the currently installed CCS chargers are limited to 360kw even at 920v.

One thing Tesla hasn't addressed as far as I've seen is what they will do for their 800/1000v vehicles when charging at V2 and V3 superchargers since those are limited to ~400v. eGMP and Porsche each take different approaches to stepping voltages up from 400v chargers, and it will be interesting to see what Tesla does.

I think Tesla is strictly saying the cybertruck can use the same system the semi can for the "Tesla Megawatt Charging". IE, it has the 1000V rated Tesla connector. I heard nothing stated about the actual rate of charge it would accept. It would be stupid to have the Semi, which has a 4-5 times bigger battery than the cybertruck, only be capable of charging at 1 MW if the cybertruck could do the same thing.
Agreed. I'd guess it will have a peak around 600 or 700kw. Which is probably not that much greater than what GM would push with Ultium if the chargers were capable.

I'm a little curious if Rivian already supports 800V charging and it needs a SW update for that feature or if that's an R2 feature? I'm still curious how much of a difference it would make.

I think ultrafast charging will eventually rollout to EVs but it'll take a while. Look at how quickly, or slowly, the rollout of even L2 and DC chargers has been. There are 143,000 gas stations, so probably about 1 million gas pumps vs the 53,000 charging stations and 140,000 chargers. That's including Tesla. (https://www.visualcapitalist.com/interactive-ev-charging-stations-across-the-u-s-mapped/)

However, it would be really nice if the R1 already had an 800V architecture just waiting for more capable chargers. There's some discussion here:

Only Rivian knows and they're not telling.
Nope. This was answered by Rivian when Kyle reviewed the truck initially because many of us had the same questions. Rivian has also removed some of the confusion from the website that lead to these. As with @Dark-Fx I'm fairly confident they'll switch over to an 800v architecture with the max pack.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Won't this TRASH the battery pack?
I mean it's great for owner #1, but seems like the guy who buys it 3 years later is going to be like WTF???
People are conflating 1000v with 1MW. If you look at the Model 3 they push the batteries to charge up around 3C, so if the truck has some silly large pack like 250kwh, then charging at 750kw wouldn't be stressing the batteries any more than they do with the model 3.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Electric Semi Delivered to Pepsi this week is a huge win.
Tesla's free Autopilot set the bar, and works well. (FSD beta looks cool too, even with it's issues)
Imagine hauling a trailer with autosteer to assist you, no gears, central seating for the best view, no jake brake noise, etc...It will change local trucking for the better.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Market does not seem impressed, Tesla off 2 bucks this morning….

I would have thought they might get a small bump at least on the delivery confirmation.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

People are conflating 1000v with 1MW. If you look at the Model 3 they push the batteries to charge up around 3C, so if the truck has some silly large pack like 250kwh, then charging at 750kw wouldn't be stressing the batteries any more than they do with the model 3.
The problem becomes getting all of the waste heat out. It might actually be faster not to abuse the battery like that because they can't evacuate the heat for a long duration charge.

Market does not seem impressed, Tesla off 2 bucks this morning….

I would have thought they might get a small bump at least on the delivery confirmation.
Whole market is off because of the labor reports, but IMO it should have been priced in already as an expectation.
Sponsored