Sponsored

R1T 12v batteries dead

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

When I do take delivery, I'm getting these first day. I also confirmed with the sales rep that the Rivian batteries have bluetooth integration so you can view battery status etc through their app. That alone makes it worthwhile from a peace of mind standpoint. One cool thing is that you could technically top up the batteries if they aren't charging using Rivian's onboard power and a trickle charger.

https://www.ohmmu.com/product-page/12v-lithium-battery-2-pack-for-rivian-r1t-r1s
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

When I do take delivery, I'm getting these first day. I also confirmed with the sales rep that the Rivian batteries have bluetooth integration so you can view battery status etc through their app. That alone makes it worthwhile from a peace of mind standpoint. One cool thing is that you could technically top up the batteries if they aren't charging using Rivian's onboard power and a trickle charger.

https://www.ohmmu.com/product-page/12v-lithium-battery-2-pack-for-rivian-r1t-r1s
I seriously wonder about using something like this since the onboard 12V charger will still think you're running AGM batteries and not LiFePO4, which have different charging requirements. Unless the BMS on these batteries just handles all that on its own as long as 12V is seen at the terminals?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'd be worried Rivian would deny a warranty claim on fixing the issue even if something in the truck was responsible for draining the batteries all the way down. I'd still like to know why it's such a problem for people not being able to jump the truck into running again.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I'd be worried Rivian would deny a warranty claim on fixing the issue even if something in the truck was responsible for draining the batteries all the way down. I'd still like to know why it's such a problem for people not being able to jump the truck into running again.
Seems like a rash of 12V battery issues. Maybe due to the latest software update? It's a bit concerning if you are planning on taking a trip. Guess I won't be doing any resets until Rivian figures this out.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Ditto.. wouldn't change any battery components on a EV unless the manufacturer is giving a blessing or doing it themselves. No reason to give them an excuse to deny a warranty claim.

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Seems like this is likely a software issue, with the last update. I hope Rivian releases a new version fast!

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Seems like a rash of 12V battery issues. Maybe due to the latest software update? It's a bit concerning if you are planning on taking a trip. Guess I won't be doing any resets until Rivian figures this out.
I'm more worried about taking the thing into the back country and having it die on the trail. ICE vehicles are at least easy to tow off the mountain because you can put them in neutral. No way to do that in a Rivian, so a dead truck means dragging it, uncontrolled...not really doable on a rocky trail.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

If the underlying issue is a software related one, then "jump starting" the vehicle through the rear terminals would be a gap measure, batteries would still deplete.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If the underlying issue is a software related one, then "jump starting" the vehicle through the rear terminals would be a gap measure, batteries would still deplete.
I just hope if I have this issue that I'm at home. I only carry basic electrical stuff with me in the truck but if I was at home I could easily rig up the necessary equipment to get everything charged up and figure out if the DC-DC system is failing to activate.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I just hope if I have this issue that I'm at home. I only carry basic electrical stuff with me in the truck but if I was at home I could easily rig up the necessary equipment to get everything charged up and figure out if the DC-DC system is failing to activate.
I mean, worst case you could buy the set of Lithium batteries from ohmmu, and if they did go down, would be the perfect time to do the 30 minute swap 😔

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I mean, worst case you could buy the set of Lithium batteries from ohmmu, and if they did go down, would be the perfect time to do the 30 minute swap 😔
Maybe I should add being able to jump start my own vehicle into my auxillary 12V plans.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Warranty claims aside, given this is a known issue - would it be possible to just go out and buy a pair of replacement batteries yourself and swap them out at home? I'd rather preemptively replace a known bad part than wait for it to fail.

Am thinking a pair of Battle Born batteries would make a solid investment (assuming they make the correct group size), or would doing this yourself void some kind of warranty?

Last edited:

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
My 12v are being replaced today/tomorrow. I might just wire up a cheap 12v voltmeter and leave it in the frunk to peek at occasionally. Or at least wire up a positive lead so I can check it quick. Just for kicks.... Or I suppose I could just use the 12v under dash "cigarette lighter".

Last edited:

Pdm1230

First Name
Paarin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Director
Has it been confirmed it's the batteries themselves and not software? If not, then won't the same happen with replacement batteries?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My 12v are being replaced today/tomorrow. I might just wire up a cheap 12v voltmeter and leave it in the frunk to peek at occasionally. Or at least wire up a positive lead so I can check it quick. Just for kicks....
Mobile service? Either way, do me a favor and ask the service people if there's a specific process to get the vehicle going again after the battery replacement, and what might go wrong that might require additional replacements or work.
Sponsored