Sponsored

R1T 12v batteries dead

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
September 2022 delivery, VIN 11xxx.
Updated software yesterday, no issue. Drove the truck in the afternoon.
This am, truck wouldn't wake up. Bricked. Support says both 12V batteries are dead. 48% charge on the high volt batteries. Tried to charge the 12v via tow hitch panel as per support but battery wouldn't charge with 2 different chargers.
Fortunately truck was at home, tow truck just picked up to take to service center.
Unclear if related to latest software update but tow truck company said they picked up 2 other today and have 2 more tomorrow....
Incidentally, no way to unlock the truck, fob, card, phone not working and no way to insert a physical key as some cars have. No way to release parking brake so they had to put skid pads under rear wheels.
Will update when I hear more
Anyone had same issue?
Sponsored

BrianNakata

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Shelby GT350
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
These batteries are truly the Achilles' heel of these trucks...

I assume they have two of them as some sort of redundancy, but it seems like they fail together.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Some type of geek screen would sure be cool. 12v system voltage. kW flow to and from battery pack. %torque being delivered at each wheel real time. G forces. Air pressure in suspension system. Roll resistance valve position or whatever it is called. Water system temp. Etc...

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
These batteries are truly the Achilles' heel of these trucks...

I assume they have two of them as some sort of redundancy, but it seems like they fail together.
Seems like every full EV has struggled with these issues, at least initially. The 2021 Mach E’s were awful about this. Kia and Hyundai had some major issues too, particularly in Europe. From what I’ve read, it seems like most companies figured it out. I’ve been happily surprised Rivian hasn’t had too many pervasive 12 volt issues…until recently, unfortunately.

Sponsored

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
Had a couple of instances over the past 6 months of system fault detected/service 12v battery system. It was looked at end of Jan during a service center visit, see below.

Concern:- The owner states he got a Service Battery Immediately message after starting the truck
Cause:- Known firmware issue with correction being released in future update. If the concern happens again please perform a vehicle reset when safe to do so. If warning light illuminate immediatelyafter the reset then please contact service. If no light appears then you are ok to drive.
Correction/Remedy:- Low Voltage Electrical General Diagnostic- Service Technician Review

Seemingly a bigger issue that I haven't seen on Tesla M3 and MS, Taycan and BMW iX so solutions do exist.
Fact that tow company was picking up 4 dead trucks in 2 days demonstrate an issue post update that needs addressing. One of them was actually plugged in but of course irrelevant as it is 12v batteries related.

TacoMcDonut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Add me to this list. VIN 11xxx as well, very early October delivery. Updated truck last night, drove this morning to the mountain and back. Parked in the driveway to unload gear and when I came back, wouldn't shift into drive. Tried resets and sleep cycles, no dice. Called service and when on the phone with them, 12v died. Now it's stuck unlocked sitting in the driveway with no tow scheduled until Thursday.

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
Sorry to hear, sadly there is company in misery. Think it is better if unlocked, mine was locked so the tow guy had to use inflatable cushion to squeeze a road through the top of the door fame to open the door...
He told me they were the only company with the Rivian contract in the Tri-state area so no doubt they got booked quickly with issues post update.
Strangely the roadside assistance guy insisted I might be liable to pay for the towing charges if they discover a user error in bricking the 12v batteries. At the same time I was texting the mobile service guy who came by in Jan, super helpful and confirmed the 12V had died and only option was tow to service center...Fun times.

TacoMcDonut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Seeing you're in CT, was it the Chelsea, MA SC or Brooklyn? I'm in NH and they can't get a tow until Thursday to Chelsea/Boston.

Also, has the SC given you the cause and any fixes yet? Would be upsetting if it just needs a 12v jump/reset.

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Seemingly a bigger issue that I haven't seen on Tesla M3 and MS, Taycan and BMW iX so solutions do exist.
Just so you know, the early Model S have had an absurd amount of issues with 12V batteries. First they were far too undersized, and failed prematurely a lot. They replaced most/all of them with some special battery that works better. But even with that, the 12V batteries apaprently rarely last 4 years, which leads to dead cars.

On our Model S, we've already had both the warranty replacement and a fairly expensive battery replacement (mobile, at least). We also had a very expensive tow to the SC in Cincinnati out-of-warranty for a "loose wire in a connector" that kept the 12V from charging, which cost me ~$1000 to get towed and fixed—and we still had to drive up to pick up the car.

Tesla has switched to L-Ion 12V batteries, but I've heard that wasn't a simple solution either.

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
Seeing you're in CT, was it the Chelsea, MA SC or Brooklyn? I'm in NH and they can't get a tow until Thursday to Chelsea/Boston.

Also, has the SC given you the cause and any fixes yet? Would be upsetting if it just needs a 12v jump/reset.
Brooklyn. The SC called to confirm when the car got there (so did the tow company, theses guys were solid). Had to pu skid pads under rear wheels to drag onto flatbed. They had 2 more bricked R1Ts to pick up in NJ today by the time they got to me.
SC said it would take a couple fo days to diagnose and to expect an update on Wed-Thu.
Jump didn't work as I tried that (cables behind the tow hitch cover). Both chargers showed the battery not taking charge/responding. The other battery is under the hood which was locked. One can remove panel under left wheel wheel to open but by that point service said batteries were dead

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
Why can’t mobile service handle these issues?
Good Q and asked the same. This is what I got from mobile guy (top guy, he even did the seatbelt recall at a charger last week when I bumped into him!):
Simply jumping it won't help. The truck would likely have to go in even if I could recharge/replace the low voltage batteries. They'll need to figure out why the truck stopped charging them.

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
Just so you know, the early Model S have had an absurd amount of issues with 12V batteries. First they were far too undersized, and failed prematurely a lot. They replaced most/all of them with some special battery that works better. But even with that, the 12V batteries apaprently rarely last 4 years, which leads to dead cars.

On our Model S, we've already had both the warranty replacement and a fairly expensive battery replacement (mobile, at least). We also had a very expensive tow to the SC in Cincinnati out-of-warranty for a "loose wire in a connector" that kept the 12V from charging, which cost me ~$1000 to get towed and fixed—and we still had to drive up to pick up the car.

Tesla has switched to L-Ion 12V batteries, but I've heard that wasn't a simple solution either.
Good to know and interesting, thank you.
I had no issue with my 2018 Model S for 3 years maybe I got lucky, clearly not the case w the R1T:mad:
We are on our 2nd M3 and equally no issue on that front but by no mean I am saying Tesla is fault free
Sponsored