Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
You've never seen or heard of a Wrangler or Bronco snapping something on an easy trail? Particularly when taking a bad line?
On an easy trail? Not really. And usually those that do have broken tie rods have quite a bit larger tires than the Rivians 34".
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
On an easy trail? Not really. And usually those that do have broken tie rods have quite a bit larger tires than the Rivians 34".
I'll push back a bit and say I have. Shit, last year I watched a lovely video of a guy take a bad line with a Bronco through a puddle and lose his 4WD.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
I'll push back a bit and say I have. Shit, last year I watched a lovely video of a guy take a bad line with a Bronco through a puddle and lose his 4WD.
Ya the Bronco has had some teething issues. Broken tie rods galore and some driveline stuff. The Wrangler holds up better as of now comparing the two.

I have a Gladiator Rubicon Diesel and putting some 38" tires on with a 3" lift. From what others have said/experienced, that's about as large as I can go without getting real risky with parts breaking.

I'm still proceeding with my R1S order, but I don't think the Rivian is turning out to be as off-rod capable as I was originally hoping. I know it's almost impossible to make something that drives as good as the Rivian on-road be seriously off-road capable.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

They mentioned the gear tunnel in passing but it didn't make it into the comparison at all. That is a pretty big oversight by mototrend. I've found it extremely useful to have a long, locked, dry space that is accessible from either side (and inside). And come on, 4 cup holders is plenty. I don't get why people obsess over cupholders!
They don't really focus on the gear tunnel, but they also don't really focus on the size differences or opening differences of the frunk either. I think Ford's is bigger (bigger truck though, and certainly easier to get things in and out) Kind of choose what works best for you between the two of them.

As far as cup holders, I kind of understand why some people want more. Usually if I am driving in the morning, I have a coffee and a water with me - that's two cup holders taken, both of those in the front. That being said, I rarely have a passenger. I don't consider it a deal breaker by any means, especially since it doesn't affect me, but can understand why some people want more.

Overall, I don't mind that they declared Ford the winner, I understand why they chose it. It's not like they hated the Rivian. But for my money, I'd rather have the Rivian. If/when Ford/Chevy do an electric Ranger/Colorado, I would consider those, but they are just hypothetical at this point, as is the electric Silverado (until we know pricing for anything other than the top trim and the entry trim).

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Ya the Bronco has had some teething issues. Broken tie rods galore and some driveline stuff. The Wrangler holds up better as of now comparing the two.

I have a Gladiator Rubicon Diesel and putting some 38" tires on with a 3" lift. From what others have said/experienced, that's about as large as I can go without getting real risky with parts breaking.

I'm still proceeding with my R1S order, but I don't think the Rivian is turning out to be as off-rod capable as I was originally hoping. I know it's almost impossible to make something that drives as good as the Rivian on-road be seriously off-road capable.
I'd also take some of the videos of it struggling with a bit of a grain of salt. At least a few of them were drivers not knowing how to push the truck (for example, that first OOS offroad video). Is it going to compete with your kitted out Rubicon? Probably not. But the vast majority of stock vehicles? Yeah.

Sponsored

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
I'd also take some of the videos of it struggling with a bit of a grain of salt. At least a few of them were drivers not knowing how to push the truck (for example, that first OOS offroad video). Is it going to compete with your kitted out Rubicon? Probably not. But the vast majority of stock vehicles? Yeah.
Naw, the Rivian definitely has some issues off road. I've watched just about every Rivian off-road video out there.

Take this for example, go to 7:45:

"Fully in the throttle" and the truck just stops on a moderate hill with full throttle applied. There are too many nanny's in this truck that will limit off-roading. Requiring "more momentum" to constantly get over obstacles (which I hear a ton in Rivian off-road videos) in the Rivian is a recipe for disaster and will just end up breaking stuff.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Naw, the Rivian definitely has some issues off road. I've watched just about every Rivian off-road video out there.

Take this for example, go to 7:45:

"Fully in the throttle" and the truck just stops on a moderate hill with full throttle applied. There are too many nanny's in this truck that will limit off-roading. Requiring "more momentum" to constantly get over obstacles (which I hear a ton in Rivian off-road videos) in the Rivian is a recipe for disaster and will just end up breaking stuff.
1. I applaud you for making it that for into his video. I had to bail originally after about the third "rivi-on" statement when it came out.
2. That's really odd behavior. Clearly a nanny issue as you mentioned. I don't remember other reviewers having issues there, do you? That's also in contrast to some of other videos I've seen posted by owners with a fair amount of wheel slip going uphill. If it doesn't accept wheel slip on mud or snow like that I'm going to flip shit when I can't get out of my house with a few inches of snow.

I really wish he had a camera angle showing what the wheels were up to on that.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
DIdn't Edmunds do that?
Thanks, I had not seen there test. It was on the 21’s not the 22’s but .86 on the 21’s is pretty decent

Rivian R1T R1S 2022 Rivian R1T vs. F-150 Lightning : The Closest Finish in Motortrend History C619CD61-60D5-4C52-A90C-B530E6310CFF

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
1. I applaud you for making it that for into his video. I had to bail originally after about the third "rivi-on" statement when it came out.
2. That's really odd behavior. Clearly a nanny issue as you mentioned. I don't remember other reviewers having issues there, do you? That's also in contrast to some of other videos I've seen posted by owners with a fair amount of wheel slip going uphill. If it doesn't accept wheel slip on mud or snow like that I'm going to flip shit when I can't get out of my house with a few inches of snow.

I really wish he had a camera angle showing what the wheels were up to on that.
Ya he was kinda cringy. It almost looks like when he was full throttle at the top of the hill, the trucks wheels just stopped moving. Like the truck cut off power. Typically, on a wet/muddy surface like that if the trucks wheels are still spinning and looking for traction, the vehicle will move laterally or "squirm". Which isn't apparent in the video.

I've also seen this in other video when the driver says they are giving it throttle and the Rivian isn't doing anything off-road. Not sure if it's some sort of nanny/self protection mode, or the car thinks the driver is demanding topo much power/current draw from the battery etc.

RealBillNye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I also don't agree that it's a "sports car". 0.77g on lateral tests is FAR from "sports car" territory. That's not knocking it. It is still a "truck", an off-road oriented truck at that. It handles better than most "trucks" and its air suspension is amazing, but it absolutely doesn't drive like a "sports car". Head into a right hand turn with a 25 mph speed suggestion at 70 mph. Which would you trust to make it out the other side alive, a Rivian TRUCK or a Corvette?

That is all down to the tire choice. The road tires will hold .89g lateral acceleration which is sports car territory. Albiet the low end, but still sports car.

Sponsored

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
First sentence of the review:
"Comparing the 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning with the 2022 Rivian R1T makes little sense."

They labeled charging as a PRO for the Ford (even though it takes 10% longer to charge) and a CON for the Rivian? Tough crowd.

The results are that the Rivian hauls better, tows better, drives better, charges faster, has better software, is faster, better offroad, and costs roughly the same - but it loses this test.
I dissent.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The F-150 is the better truck for work purposes. The Rivian is the better vehicle for what 80-90% of all truck buyers cross shopping these two will actually use them for…
You nailed it right there!

With the above in mind.... I'm not a contractor, but being a self sufficient homeowner- one thing that would have instantly disqualified the R1T would have been a bed width of less than 48" between the wheel wells. It's not like I'm hauling drywall or plywood all the time, but it's a huge pain when you need to bring some home in a narrow bed vehicle.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
You nailed it right there!

With the above in mind.... I'm not a contractor, but being a self sufficient homeowner- one thing that would have instantly disqualified the R1T would have been a bed width of less than 48" between the wheel wells. It's not like I'm hauling drywall or plywood all the time, but it's a huge pain when you need to bring some home in a narrow bed vehicle.
Agreed.

The day we confirmed with CS that the between-the-wheel-well width was greater than 48" was the greatest day for me as a wide-eyed preorder holder.

Had mine for a few weeks now, and this weekend will be my first plywood pickup, and I'm thrilled to never again need to rent the HD truck or strap sheets to the roof of the Volvo! 🤣

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
First sentence of the review:
"Comparing the 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning with the 2022 Rivian R1T makes little sense."

They labeled charging as a PRO for the Ford (even though it takes 10% longer to charge) and a CON for the Rivian? Tough crowd.

The results are that the Rivian hauls better, tows better, drives better, charges faster, has better software, is faster, better offroad, and costs roughly the same - but it loses this test.
I dissent.
I agree. The Ford wasn't even on my radar compared to the Rivian.

It seems like the Ford's larger interior was all that mattered to them.

RivnSoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, ZHP, R1T, E36 M3
Occupation
Tax payer
The F-150L looks "crudely" built. It has this under belly/frame hanging stuff, stamped steel everywhere, blah...just not for me

Rivian R1T R1S 2022 Rivian R1T vs. F-150 Lightning : The Closest Finish in Motortrend History IMG_20220729_143323

Rivian R1T R1S 2022 Rivian R1T vs. F-150 Lightning : The Closest Finish in Motortrend History IMG_20220729_143308
Sponsored