First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram
Clubs

Hello all.

Today I bring you a potentially big problem with a stunningly simple solution.

Double check your work orders.

I have my truck in for an alignment right now and they called back and said that an obstruction in a parking lot I bumped into at 3 mph has bent my subframe and it must be replaced before I can have the front end aligned. While this sucks and seems a little fishy on its own, I would like bring your attention to my work order.

The work described calls for 7.3 hours of labor, at the SC rate of $200/hr, which apparently totals $2,060.00.

I admit it has been several years since I've attended a math class, so feel free to check my work. I think that should be closer to $1,460.00.

The advisor also didn't seem to think that was wrong.

Cue the Twilight Zone music...

Rivian R1T R1S PSA: Double Check Your Work Orders! Screenshot_20230816_155332_Chrome
Sponsored

OP
OP

RoverZac

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram
Clubs

I forgot to mention, this is from the Atlanta SC.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
You are right. :p

Even if they taxed you on the higher amount, it is still less. Something is off, I'd show them the math.

Rivian R1T R1S PSA: Double Check Your Work Orders! Capture.JPG

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

It almost sounds like they’ve hired Ticketmaster to send out these invoices.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Hello all.

Today I bring you a potentially big problem with a stunningly simple solution.

Double check your work orders.

I have my truck in for an alignment right now and they called back and said that an obstruction in a parking lot I bumped into at 3 mph has bent my subframe and it must be replaced before I can have the front end aligned. While this sucks and seems a little fishy on its own, I would like bring your attention to my work order.

The work described calls for 7.3 hours of labor, at the SC rate of $200/hr, which apparently totals $2,060.00.

I admit it has been several years since I've attended a math class, so feel free to check my work. I think that should be closer to $1,460.00.

The advisor also didn't seem to think that was wrong.

Cue the Twilight Zone music...

Screenshot_20230816_155332_Chrome.jpg
What did you end up paying?

My next question is there a page missing? How did labor go even higher from 2060 to 2380 on the total labor line?

Sponsored

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
My next question is there a page missing? How did labor go even higher from 2060 to 2380 on the total labor line?
Yeah I see that too. Very strange.

OP
OP

RoverZac

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram
Clubs

On the other page there is a 100 diag, which they credited. There is also an alignment on there, which they charge $220 for.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
On the other page there is a 100 diag, which they credited. There is also an alignment on there, which they charge $220 for.
Ok, that explains the 2380, 220 labor for alignment and 100 labor for diag that later was adjusted with the 100 credit. Still does not explain the 2060 though. Usually if a line item is calculated on a different rate than standard shop rate it would be noted on that line item with a unit price.

I would engage your guide to get a definitive answer to that.

OP
OP

RoverZac

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram
Clubs

What did you end up paying?

I haven't paid anything yet. I received that invoice today and declined that repair until I can inspect it myself. I have an early '22 build and know they have been trying to replace cracking subframes. I have been having some of the clicking and popping symptomatic of that. I don't want that done at my expense.

OP
OP

RoverZac

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram
Clubs

Ok, that explains the 2380, 220 labor for alignment and 100 labor for diag that later was adjusted with the 100 credit. Still does not explain the 2060 though. Usually if a line item is calculated on a different rate than standard shop rate it would be noted on that line item with a unit price.

I would engage your guide to get a definitive answer to that.
I asked the service advisor on the phone when he sent it if their shop rate was $200/hr (which it states on that page) and he said that it was and I had to explain to him that 7.3 hours, $200/hr, and $2060.00 don't go together. He either didn't understand or didn't care.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I haven't paid anything yet. I received that invoice today and declined that repair until I can inspect it myself. I have an early '22 build and know they have been trying to replace cracking subframes. I have been having some of the clicking and popping symptomatic of that. I don't want that done at my expense.
An impact to the subframe could easily cause damage to the welds that hold it together. Even if it is the welds, there's a chance they could decide to not cover it under warranty.

OP
OP

RoverZac

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram
Clubs

Sure. But it has been there on multiple occasions for these symptoms prior to the "impact," which is an overstatement of what happened. The obstruction was 2 feet or less from the front of the truck, too low for sensors, and I only hit it when I began to creep forward from where I was parked. The visual damage is limited to deep scratches on the silver plastic guard under the front end.

I think it's also worth noting that the upgrade underbody protection starts under the subframe and goes back... shouldn't there be protection in the front for a truck to do what this truck is advertised to do? For the extra $, I certainly would have expected it.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
An impact to the subframe could easily cause damage to the welds that hold it together. Even if it is the welds, there's a chance they could decide to not cover it under warranty.
Especially if the welds were already cracked like some do. Then the impact would really open them up.
Sponsored