Sponsored

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I feel like it's pretty fair, and agree with the conclusion. If you want a truck for a truck, you're better off with the Lightning. I've owned numerous Silverado's and RAM 1500's and I absolutely love my R1T. But I find myself having issues doing normal truck stuff with the smaller bed for things that I did with my previous trucks like hauling different stuff to and from my local hardware store for when I do projects at my house. If someone is a truck person and uses it as a truck, they're going to have some shortcomings with the R1T that they won't have with the Lightning.

With that said, I wouldn't trade my R1T for a Lightning. The Silverado EV has my eye, but that's more than a year away so i'll look at it closer then.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I disagree with nothing in that article. If Rivian had held to the old price, the Ford loses by a lot but the price increase evens it out. If you want a luxury vehicle that can also be a truck, then get a Rivian. If you want a truck that excels at being a truck, then the F150 is the better choice.

It's nothing to scoff at. The R1T is damn good..... REALLY DAMN GOOD. It's just not as good of a value at the new price point. If I had to pay the new price, I would be waiting for a Lightning or SilveradoEV.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
The R1T is really is a new category, and I don’t think that’s an accident. It‘s one of the most capable off-roaders available, with one of the nicer interiors of any vehicle - period. It can do 0-60 like a super car. It tows really well. And it has space out back to throw dirty stuff securely, and do the occasional Home Depot run just to round things out.

The Lightning is the closest comparison anyone can make right now, because nothing else like the R1T exists. Which means it’s getting reviewed, sometimes unfairly, against Full Size Pickups and then getting dinged because it’s not a Full Size Pickup. I think the R1S will have better comparisons to things like the Range Rover since they are more similarly aligned, class-wise.

Very much looking forward to backing all this up with real-world experience when mine arrives in a couple months. For now, I’ll enjoy the last days of excessive noise and fuel consumption in my (admittedly hilarious) Tundra TRD Pro and reading about all of you people’s adventures here on the forums.

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I thought the article was fair and highlighted the pros and cons of each as impartially as anyone could.

In the end, I also would agree the F-150 is the better truck. But the R1T is the better adventure vehicle.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I still don’t understand why anyone would say that the Rivian has one of the nicer interiors of any vehicle.
It’s nice, it’s fine, it’s made from plastic, soft plastic but plastic. There’s nothing super nice about it. Is it nicer than a Xterra sure, is it as nice as any Land Rover out there, no.
It’s kinda like BMW without the leather option.
It’s rugged if you want with a nice feel to it.

Last edited:

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Agree with most others here, I think the assessment is a fair one. It will be interesting to see if they are able to compare the Lightning to Rivian's dual motor variant whenever that comes out - that takes the Rivian's higher price out of the equation, and could give it the edge by the hair on its chinny chin chin.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The Lightning is a great truck for the people that want an F-150. But that doesn't make it the best option for everyone who wants an EV pickup. I really hope Rivian introduces 800V charging and the max pack soon.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Seems like a fair conclusion. I’ve been driving a Tacoma with a short bed for years so I’m used to some things just not fitting, etc but it still is plenty of truck for my needs. If I was a contractor or had a big family I would go with the Lightning. Will be interesting to see how these comparisons play out over the next couple years after the Silverado and RAM EVs are released.

Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Warranty alone, one would pick Rivian over F-150.........

RivianSocial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Chevy Spark EV, HD Livewire, Rivian R1T
Anyone who asks me how I like my Rivian, I always reply "I love it, it's 5 cars in one", meaning it's a Truck; Rock Crawler, Sports Car, Luxury Car, EV all in one. One might call it a multi-purpose vehicle that is a master of none but can do many things better than others. I love what Rivian is doing with the segment they're trying to build. It will be interesting how other vehicles like the R1S go up against their competition, if they can find some! Maybe the Lucid "Gravity"?

I also like the direction Ford is going, I just wish they'd build more of their cars in the US (i.e. Mach-E). Given their size and labor force it's interesting to see how well they'll pivot to EVs. They currently have as many EV models in their stable as Rivian does!

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I still don’t understand why anyone would say that the Rivian has one of the nicer interiors of any vehicle.
It’s nice, it’s fine, it’s made from plastic, soft plastic but plastic. There’s nothing super nice about it. Is it nicer than a Xterra sure, is it as nice as any Land Rover out there, no.
It’s kinda like BMW without the leather option.
It’s rigged if you want with a nice feel to it.
Hey! Easy on Xterras "The Cabbage Cart of Luxury offroaders"

thibbitts

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 FJ cruiser 2018 4runner
They mentioned the gear tunnel in passing but it didn't make it into the comparison at all. That is a pretty big oversight by mototrend. I've found it extremely useful to have a long, locked, dry space that is accessible from either side (and inside). And come on, 4 cup holders is plenty. I don't get why people obsess over cupholders!

I am definitely hoping that Rivian makes some adjustments to its charging curve. I know that they are trying to protect the battery but if we could charge at fast speeds up to about 65% SOC it would make a huge difference.