First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I have the R21 Pirelli Verde All season. The snow mode helps quite a bit, but the tires are not great in hard pack snow. Pirelli only makes all season R21. In fact, I haven’t been able to find a R21 EV snow tire. Know if any?
Your best best at the moment is to get a 20" wheel and 275/60 r20 winter tires with a 116 rating, like what Hankook has. The 21" tire is the only one of that size right now on the market.
Sponsored

GoldenMaui

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1
Occupation
Adventurer
Your best best at the moment is to get a 20" wheel and 275/60 r20 winter tires with a 116 rating, like what Hankook has. The 21" tire is the only one of that size right now on the market.
Thanks for the information.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I went a different route. My R1T came with 20" and I bought a set of take off 21" to drive most of the year - for extra range. To get up our very steep, long driveway when it is snowy and icy, studs are the way to go. I bought a stud gun, drilled my 20" tires, and studded them. They were flawless last winter. They are a little noisy but traction, particularly when going down the drive and hitting regen, was so much better.

87Ducks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T,
So looking ahead to the PNW winter… what was the experience with 21” roads going over the WA State passes or down city streets in snow or packed snow/ice???

My R1S is to be delivered in a week or two…
I took delivery of my R1T in March with the 21" tires mainly for the range benefit. I made the assumption winter tires were available for this size but as they say "never assume". I need the 3 Peaks rated tires to legally travel over Oregon Mountain passes during storms (and for my peace of mind) so I have ordered a set of 20" A/T which will be installed at the service center before the snow flies. From what I have read on these forums, downhill on snow is the biggest challenge. I have driven in snow for over 40 years but never in a vehicle this heavy. If the 20" A/T's aren't sufficient, at least I can get an actual snow tire this size. This will be an expensive fix but in reality I normally keep my winter tires on their own rims for ease of change over. Now we just need a service center in Central Oregon...

Sponsored

OP
OP

JSitty

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7
Occupation
Attorney
I took delivery of my R1T in March with the 21" tires mainly for the range benefit. I made the assumption winter tires were available for this size but as they say "never assume". I need the 3 Peaks rated tires to legally travel over Oregon Mountain passes during storms (and for my peace of mind) so I have ordered a set of 20" A/T which will be installed at the service center before the snow flies. From what I have read on these forums, downhill on snow is the biggest challenge. I have driven in snow for over 40 years but never in a vehicle this heavy. If the 20" A/T's aren't sufficient, at least I can get an actual snow tire this size. This will be an expensive fix but in reality I normally keep my winter tires on their own rims for ease of change over. Now we just need a service center in Central Oregon...
Thank you. I may try to find 20” rims to put on true winter tires, or go with chains. Thanks 87Ducks. See you in the Big 10- Go Dawgs! :)

87Ducks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T,
Thank you. I may try to find 20” rims to put on true winter tires, or go with chains. Thanks 87Ducks. See you in the Big 10- Go Dawgs! :)
No problem. BTW Know any Huskies happy with giving up games against Stanford & UA for Rutgers & Indiana? Don't blame UofO or UW as the writing was on the wall after SC & ucla left the conference for $0.00. Thank you Larry Scott.

OP
OP

JSitty

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7
Occupation
Attorney
No problem. BTW Know any Huskies happy with giving up games against Stanford & UA for Rutgers & Indiana? Don't blame UofO or UW as the writing was on the wall after SC & ucla left the conference for $0.00. Thank you Larry Scott.
Totally agree… much rather go to Tempe or Tucson or Bay Area…

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I have the 20" All-Terrain. They're sold as "winter" tires, with 3PMS rating. They handle packed snow fine, but Pacific Northwest ice is problematic. I got snow socks. Put 'em on when driving on ice, take 'em off as soon as I'm on bare pavement.
Sponsored