Windshield Confessionals

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Hello friends, I have a confession to make. I'm not proud, but here it goes:

I left my first "note under the windshield wiper" of my life this morning. Today, I was "that guy"

Context: driving up to Greenville for the week where I'm staying at a hotel with charging stations (Chargepoint) and I decided to run a test last night using All Purpose instead of Conserve to compare efficiency on the same route and speed. Turned out to be a risky move as I pulled into the hotel around midnight with about as low of a range as I've ever had (about 6% SoC) and as I come to the chargers, my worst fear is confirmed: I've been ICEd. More context: this hotel has 4 Chargepoint chargers. One pedestal is not set up properly and therefore sort of works but doesn't really. The other pedestal is placed between a standard and a handicapped spot. Result, there is essentially one reliable charging spot at this hotel (and even then I have to park ON the line to get the cable to reach). The offender was parked in that one spot. It was a PHEV minivan that was not plugged in.

I chanced it and plugged into the sketchy charger and got it charging, but sure as rain it had a fault overnight and I awoke to find that I only ended up getting about 4 hours of charge at 6kw. Needless to say I was irate. I left a polite note on the windshield on my way out this morning.

Again, not proud, but I needed to get it out there. The van is lucky honestly because this situation resulted in the most frustrated DCFC session I've had yet, and if I had come back to the parking lot afterwards it probably would have been to put Kool Aid in their windshield wiper fluid.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
At some point we all become ā€œthat guyā€. I donā€™t have my truck yet but I became that guy last year when the same a$$hole kept parking in my carport that I pay hard earned money for each month. I feel ya, manā€¦..

OP
OP
kurtlikevonnegut

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Probably a Carolina fan.
You know, I didn't think to check for chicken memorabilia but I'm absolutely certain you are correct.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

More hotels should collect license plate info for this & other reasons.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yeah this is pretty inconsiderate.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Get a J1772 extension cable. Has saved me on a couple occasions. A 40 foot one can span a solid half dozen spots away from the charger.

OP
OP
kurtlikevonnegut

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Get a J1772 extension cable. Has saved me on a couple occasions. A 40 foot one can span a solid half dozen spots away from the charger.
TIL J1772 extension cords are a thing!

Edit: *checks price on Amazon* šŸ˜®šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Would be a good perk for the hotel to have on hand. They keep your DL until they get it back from you, or tack it on to your folio as ā€œincidentalsā€ if you abscond with it.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

You are a better person than I am. I would have double parked in the isle, blocking their car into the spot if necessary. Does the R1T lock the charging cable when the vehicle is locked? My i3 locks the cable - so they can't tow you if you are locked down.

Leave your phone number on their windshield to call you when they need to move their car and politely tell them if they weren't being @@$holes none of this would have had to happen...

Last edited:

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Also - I'm starting a business right now that sells irate windshield stickers that have messages for people who ICE EV spots.

The sticker is gloss on the back side to prevent it from being damaged by rain - and by unbelievably annoying paper and glue on the side facing the driver.

The sticker is to be placed right in the line of sight of the driver. If you try and remove it it comes off in 77 little frustrating pieces that have to be scraped off. Should take a good hour.

I will sell the stickers at cost as long as you send me a photo of the sticker and offender that I will post on my website: ICEHOLES.com ā„¢

:rock:

Last edited:

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Also - I'm starting a business right now that sells irate windshield stickers that have messages for people who ICE EV spots.

The sticker is gloss on the back side to prevent it from being damaged by rain - and by unbelievably annoying paper and glue on the side facing the driver.

The sticker is to be placed right in the line of sight of the driver. If you try and remove it it comes off in 77 little frustrating pieces that have to be scraped off. Should take a good hour.

I will sell the stickers at cost as long as you send me a photo of the sticker and offender that I will post on my website: ICEHOLES.com ā„¢

Fantastic way to build allies in the community.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Parking Violation Stickers -"You are Illegally Parked" Warning Stickers Reserved,Handicapped,Private Parking and More No Parking,Hard to Remove and Super Sticky Tow Warnings Labels 50pcs 5"X 8" https://a.co/d/0NRkbKl

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

TIL J1772 extension cords are a thing!

Edit: *checks price on Amazon* šŸ˜®šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬
Yeah, they are expensive but I use mine daily. We have four EVs and end up just using the one EVSE most days since it can reach way out into the driveway. Much easier than playing musical cars.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
800+ hp and a tow strap....de-ICE the charger.
Sponsored