First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I had sent several emails to Safelite regarding a Rivian windshield replacements by Safelite. Finally got an official response back from top management.

They are able to replace the broken windshield with an OEM Rivian windshield.

Unfortunately, they are unable to calibrate the front camera. Rivian is not releasing the calibration data and there are no plans in the near future for any collaboration between them. Rivian does not allow their mobile mechanics to calibrate the cameras.

Drives me nuts that I have to drive it 450 miles each way for a tiny pebble that hit my windshield.
This makes things worse. With my Mach E, it actually self calibrates, the guy who replaced the windshield drove it for two miles and it was all done.

And Rivian will not work directly with the insurance either.
Sponsored

Jim4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Anyone use safelite for a passenger window replacement? My driver side front window got a crack in it somehow last night due to a rain/wind storm...no idea how it happened as I didn't see any sticks or anything near the car. Anyway, just checked and safelite will replace it for $470. Just not sure if it's complicated or if they need to do anything with the software?

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
Occupation
Tech Guy
Clubs

Just had the windshield replaced on my R1T. Took almost 3 months to get an appointment at the El Segundo SC. I inquired with one of the Rivian-approved collision centers, and they wanted over $2,000 more than Rivian to do the work. I’m guessing is that they know that they can bill my insurance for an exorbitant amount of money, and the insurance company will just cut the check. Turns out that they schedule windshield replacements in batches at that SC, and have a 3rd party installer change them out (according to the service writer at the SC). Then, presumably, the Rivian techs do the calibration.

On a related topic, if you do get your windshield replaced, make sure that you can set your wipers to automatic. After 2 trips (1 to drop off, and 1 to pick up) from Santa Barbara to El Segundo and back (about 4 hours of driving per trip), I discovered that I could not set the wipers to automatic. This led to the creation of another service appointment for August. In the meantime, I’m hoping they’re able to diagnose the problem remotely. And either a)fix it with an OTA change or b)send a mobile service van to me to re-enable it.
Sponsored