Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Got a chip repaired at Safelite today and head technician told me Rivian is releasing software/hardware to the sometime this month. Said they were going for training end of March.
This is actually something I have been looking forward to, a legitimate semi-technical process given to a 3rd Party Service Provider.
Sponsored

Sculpix

First Name
Sculpix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'd like to say I'm excited about Safelite being able to replace Rivian windshields, but the one in my city is god awful. Every time I've gone it's has been a disaster. I live in CO where it's likely I'll have to get mine replaced at some point.

The last time we went to Safelite was for our Subaru Outback with eyesight. The calibration with the new windshield failed and they gave it back to us saying "oh well" and billed the full amount to insurance. The one good thing about having a local insurance agent is they can sometimes have pull. They called a nearby Subaru dealership on my behalf and asked if they could calibrate it. Subaru didn't want to accept the liability because of those Safelife idiots so I got the insurance person to yell at Safelite and they somehow also got Subaru to offer to come to Safelite to show them how to do it. They miraculously figured it out but it took 2 weeks to resolve. Then I had to go back a third time because the windshield wiper fluid line was kinked in an area I couldn't easily get to.

That said, I have zero faith in their ability to replace a Rivian windshield. Anyone have luck with regional / local places?

Last edited:

richpike

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover D5, Jeep JL, R1S
I'd like to say I'm excited about Safelite being able to replace Rivian windshields, but the one in my city is god awful. Every time I've gone it's has been a disaster. I live in CO where it's likely I'll have to get mine reached at some point.

The last time we went to Safelite was for our Subaru Outback with eyesight. The calibration with the new windshield failed and they gave it back to us saying "oh well" and billed the full amount to insurance. The one good thing about having a local insurance agent is they can sometimes have pull. They called a Subaru dealership nearby on my behalf and asked if they could calibrate it. Subaru didn't want to accept the liability because of those Safe life idiots so I got the insurance person to yell at Safelite and they somehow also got Subaru to offer to come to Safelite to show them how to do it. They miraculously figured it out but it took 2 weeks to resolve. Then I had to go back a third time because the windshield wiper fluid line was kinked in an area I couldn't easily get to.

That said, I have zero faith in their ability to replace a Rivian windshield. Anyone have luck with regional / local places?
Nope - see my post below. Also in Colorado and a similarly poor experience with Safelite.
-Rich

I think Safelite is great for more common cars, but they were an absolute disaster on our Land Rover Discovery (with a heated windshield). They broke every clip on the hood cowl. The first two windshields were put in incorrectly so they cracked within 30min while sitting in our garage (they claimed it was a manufacturing defect - I think they were incompetent). The third windshield had the A-pillar trim fly off while we were going down the highway at 70mph. We had it all redone by the place the Land Rover dealer recommended. Just a disaster waiting to happen - definitely won't let Safelite touch our Rivian.

-Rich

Sponsored

richpike

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover D5, Jeep JL, R1S
It's all location dependent;)
Not surprised. Although I'd argue it's more car dependent (or maybe even technician dependent). We've used Safelite before for other more common cars that didn't have cameras, heated windshields, etc and they did a fine job. But in this case, we literally gave them three tries and still had a trim piece fly off. Three tries was my mistake - should have pulled the plug way earlier.

-Rich

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Local body shop in Orange County did mine in Feb, calibration included, and did a great job.
Just curious if you do not mind sharing, who was the body shop and what did they charge?

capitolm94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just curious if you do not mind sharing, who was the body shop and what did they charge?
European Motor Car works, in costa mesa right near the rivian SC, about 2400. Waited 3-4 weeks for the parts from Rivian then did the work with 1 overnight. Great experience.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
European Motor Car works, in costa mesa right near the rivian SC, about 2400. Waited 3-4 weeks for the parts from Rivian then did the work with 1 overnight. Great experience.
Thanks, I’ll put them in my phone just in case.

Sponsored

Zenboy444

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Business owner
I am scheduled for a windshield replacement at the end of March at a Rivian Service Center. The closest Rivian Service Center to me is about a 7-hour drive so I will have to have it towed there and back since I don't have time off from work. There are no Rivian authorized collision centers here, either.

We have multiple Safelite centers, so I got very happy when I saw this thread. I called Rivian to cancel my appointment and they advised me that this was fake new, LOL. She spoke to her supervisor, and she spoke to her supervisor (I kept asked them to please make sure) and all of them denied this claim. In fact, the agent advised me that Rivian does not approve of third-party aftermarket windshields that might be sold by Safelite and will not calibrate the front camera should I have Safelite replace my glass.

In other words, I have no choice but to have the windshield replaced by Rivian. Safelite is not an option and will not be an option in the foreseeable future.

If anyone has any concrete evidence to contradict this, I would love to save on the $1200 in towing costs each way and cancel my RSC appointment.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
My windshield got cracked yesterday and has to be replaced. The process is a complete joke.

1) File a claim with State Farm
2) State Farm sends me to Lynx Services
3) Lynx sets me up with a local shop
4) Local shop contacts Rivian
5) Rivian contacts me, says I have to use certified body shop
6) Certified body shop tells me to contact their approved glass shop (that is also Rivian certified)
7) Leave message with that shop, waiting for response
8) ???

I just got my Mach E windshield replaced one month ago, only did the first three steps, repaired at my house a few days later.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Ended up having to schedule Rivian to replace the windshield, then get my insurance to reimburse me. Have to take it in as well, no mobile service for replacement.

eskudo12791

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Ended up having to schedule Rivian to replace the windshield, then get my insurance to reimburse me. Have to take it in as well, no mobile service for replacement.
Dropping my R1T off tuesday for a replacement, hopefully the reimbursement with USAA is semi painless. They only pre authorized $983, Rivian invoice is 1789

Zenboy444

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Business owner
I had sent several emails to Safelite regarding a Rivian windshield replacements by Safelite. Finally got an official response back from top management.

They are able to replace the broken windshield with an OEM Rivian windshield.

Unfortunately, they are unable to calibrate the front camera. Rivian is not releasing the calibration data and there are no plans in the near future for any collaboration between them. Rivian does not allow their mobile mechanics to calibrate the cameras.

Drives me nuts that I have to drive it 450 miles each way for a tiny pebble that hit my windshield.
Sponsored