First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Is it me or does the R1S windshield attract rock chips and cracks?!?
I have gotten 3 in the last 3 months and they spread immediately.
Now I do live in CO mtns with lots of snow but in the last 20 years i have only gotten about 3 chip/cracks in all of my other vehicles.
Aerodynamics???or bad luck???
I would not call it a magnet, not more than my other vehicles. My Mach E had 3 chips, that I repaired, then a fourth one near the edge caused a big crack. Just had it replaced. A couple of weeks ago took a hit on the Rivian, and it immediately started a 10-12 inch crack, before I even got home. I agree they are fragile, compared to other windshields. Normally if I get a star in the windshield I have time to fill it in and prevent the crack, not so with the Rivian.
Sponsored

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
The easiest way to check how Rivian windshield holds against others is to check the forums. Some cars (like the Cadillac Lyriq) do not have a single message in the forum about windshield.

Rivian forum has many... The other interesting thing, is I checked the price of replacement for Lyriq - it is $650 including calibration ... Well, we can compare also to the BMW X5 - $2450...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
I agree. I’d say bad luck. 12 years driving the same commute with a few different cars and got maybe 3 rock chips. With the Rivian, got my first one with if a month of ownership. Repaired it. Got a second and much bigger one 4 months later. Too big to be repaired but repaired it anyway. Then it’s started chipping away and ruining the wiper. Finally got it replaced under insurance.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S windshield is a magnet for rocks IMG_8439

Rivian R1T R1S R1S windshield is a magnet for rocks IMG_8965

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
CEO
Now I do live in CO mtns with lots of snow but in the last 20 years i have only gotten about 3 chip/cracks in all of my other vehicles.
Every SUV I have owned has been - lots of cracks and chips fixed!

thair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Rivian glass is trash. I got a chip on my second drive after getting the windshield replaced from getting cracked. The insurance on these going forward is going to be astronomical.

Sponsored

flush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE El Cap
Occupation
tech
my windshield is also cracked from a tiny pebble, while driving behind a Hummer EV at 25mph. This crack has grown gradually into a 14+ inch curve over the past couple months, now i need to replace it.

are there options for a better / stronger glass replacement?

jwanderson88

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
I had mine a week when I got a huge dollar-sized crack. Of course I was very annoyed. You'd think something that hit your windshield hard enough to do that would be very loud, but I don't remember hearing anything unusual. I had it repaired immediately at a local glass place and it hasn't spread. I decided I'm just going to live with it for the time being. It will have to get a lot worse before I replace the windshield. This seems to be a common problem.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Every SUV I have owned has been - lots of cracks and chips fixed!
FWIW: My good buddy owns an auto glass shop and fixed my first starburst for me. I asked his opinion about Rivian glass quality and he said the upright windshield angle, similar to many trucks and SUVs, is usually the issue more so than differences in glass strength. He says that trucks and SUVs chip and crack more often than cars with more sloped windshields.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
For my second rock chip I didn’t get up to my buddy fast enough and it spread all the way up and down. The idea of trying my own resin fill immediately sounds good and I just bought a kit. I saw my buddy fill my first chip and although I’m sure experience matters, it’s not rocket science and I curiously watched him fill mine.

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer
Well, this is my secnd extended roadtrip and second rock chip. Both on I-10, which I hate to drive at any rate. . The first was expertly fixed by Safelite, this one grew quickly to an unrepairable length..
Sponsored