First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist
Noticed this on my drive this morning. There was a rock chip below the field of view that I’ve had for a few months and it was repaired, but it’s now spread virtually across the entire windshield which sucks. The only saving grace is, it’s entirely out of the field of view so it doesn’t impact my driving at all.

IMG_4946.jpeg

IMG_4945.jpeg
Mine this month at the Wisconsin collision center was 2300 plus with Cincinnati Insurance and a 500 deductible. My yearly R1T bundled premium though is only 1200. It was two full days.
Add three nights in the hotel and dining though too.
Sponsored

Paradigm_Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Audi RS5, and a few more
Occupation
Architect
Clubs

Mine was just over $1,700 at the Rivian SC. My insurance covered windshield replacement 100%

Jobiwan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical
Mine was ~$1700 and at a service center as well. O/N visit for glue to dry.
Preferred glass company my ins wanted to use couldn’t get the glass since only rivian makes it

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

"Good" news is the price was much lower for us than previous estimates.

We just had the window replaced on our R1S. It ended up being about $1700 for the replacement. This has to be done at a service center, and requires quite a bit of work.

If they do it right, it takes at least overnight, since they have to let the windshield goo cure before attaching the electronics.
Window or windshield?

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Window or windshield?
Windshield glass. They said they have to replace some sensors, too, as they can't be moved to the new windshield (specifically the rain sensor).

capitolm94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Does Colorado not have no-fault windshield insurance? Here in KY (and in Michigan, where we lived previously), windshields have to be 100% covered by insurance, and it's technically not supposed to affect your premium.

They are such a baseline safety concern that it makes sense to encourage people to just get them fixed ASAP. That being said, since windshield replacements are so much more expensive on modern vehicles (with all the tech attached and alignment), I wouldn't be surprised if this changes at some point.

I also wouldn't be against car companies finding a way to get the tech detached from the windshield so it doesn't require 2+ days and alignment of electronics to get them set up.

Interesting. I'd be curious how those shops are handling alignment of the camera, but I guess they have access to the tools. I doubt we have a certified body shop very close, though. I'm in kind of a weird area for Rivians.
I just had mine replaced last week by a shop, they had been trained and certified by Rivian to do the calibration and did it all in house. Great experience.

Spaceball1

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 Kia EV6, 15 Mustang GT Vert
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
A few years ago, State Farm offered what was essentially "free" windshield replacement as long as you had glass coverage and that was only a few bucks per year. Now, because of the high cost of windshield glass and all the technology behind it, they stopped offering that coverage. So now if you need glass, your deductible will be the price you pay and they'll cover the rest. I have a $1,000 deductible and my last windshield was $1,400.
I have State Farm and still have $0 glass coverage on all my cars. Worth it being in CO and all the rock chips we get here. Should cover the roof glass too.

Wonder if I’m grandfathered into it if they aren’t offering it anymore? Although, my Rivian just renewed and went up $30/month. 😬 I did have a hail claim last year though.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I have State Farm and still have $0 glass coverage on all my cars. Worth it being in CO and all the rock chips we get here. Should cover the roof glass too.

Wonder if I’m grandfathered into it if they aren’t offering it anymore? Although, my Rivian just renewed and went up $30/month. 😬 I did have a hail claim last year though.
Hmm... maybe it's a regional thing. I always had it and never gave it up, State Farm just took it away without any notice. When I asked about, they told me that it was a policy change across the board for all of their insured.

Sponsored

bonedocrob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Had chip repaired at Safelite today and head technician said Rivian was releasing software/hardware to replace windshields this month. Said training scheduled end of month. Would make it easier for lots of folks.

OP
OP
DTown3011

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Got my quote - about $1800 via Rivian service.

nugent1021

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc ML55, Tesla Model X, Honda Accord Hybrid
Occupation
Real Estate
Always use your insurance, even if it saves you just a few bucks. Your insurance premium cannot be increased because you used it for a replacement windshield.

Well, it depends on your insurance. I'm in Florida where the windshield is required to be replaced and paid for by the insurance company waiving deductible (if you have comp coverage), and not increase your rates.

They didn't raise my rates, but they removed/reduced my discounts.... They also placed a claim on my insurance history for 5 years, so if I tried to switch insurance carriers the new quotes will be higher because I had a claim.
Sponsored