First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Model 3, R1T VIN 34XX LE Glacier White
Occupation
Engineer
Hmm. I've got an appointment on March 29th with Rivian service to replace my windshield. Safelite would be a whole lot more convenient.

FWIW, I got a quote from a Rivian collision center for the repair. Something seemed a bit (a lot) off to me, so I'm going to wait for Rivian. The quote had a ton of caveats and didn't include the re-calibration.

OP
OP

bonedocrob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Got a chip repaired at Safelite today and head technician told me Rivian is releasing software/hardware to the sometime this month. Said they were going for training end of March.
Hmm. I've got an appointment on March 29th with Rivian service to replace my windshield. Safelite would be a whole lot more convenient.

FWIW, I got a quote from a Rivian collision center for the repair. Something seemed a bit (a lot) off to me, so I'm going to wait for Rivian. The quote had a ton of caveats and didn't include the re-calibration.
I might reach out to Safelite locally and ask if they are going to replace windshields any time soon.

shicks

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Landscaping
Clubs

Just had mine replaced. The work statement doesn't list calibration but it's implied. Parts were $1173 and labor $560.

I had a chip in the lower black area of the windshield that I couldn't see from the inside. A car wash turned it into a huge $1850 smiley face.

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

I had a very good experience at the El Segundo Rivian Ctr. a couple days ago. If I had to do a repair on my Rivian, I would go to El Segundo Ctr. I assume all service Centers are different, but some things that are special to Rivian maybe best done by Rivian.
Having said that, I do get my tires at Discount Tire, but for the same reason, excellence. Well they are closer too.

Sponsored

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
Just had mine replaced. The work statement doesn't list calibration but it's implied. Parts were $1173 and labor $560.

I had a chip in the lower black area of the windshield that I couldn't see from the inside. A car wash turned it into a huge $1850 smiley face.
I had a chip in that area too. Safelite was able to "fill" it when I had them come out for another chip. So far its held up

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I had Safelite fill a few very small 1 mm-ish chips on my R1S and Lucid. Better to be safe than sorry. Will be good when they can replace windshields

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress

😣

richpike

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover D5, Jeep JL, R1S
I think Safelite is great for more common cars, but they were an absolute disaster on our Land Rover Discovery (with a heated windshield). They broke every clip on the hood cowl. The first two windshields were put in incorrectly so they cracked within 30min while sitting in our garage (they claimed it was a manufacturing defect - I think they were incompetent). The third windshield had the A-pillar trim fly off while we were going down the highway at 70mph. We had it all redone by the place the Land Rover dealer recommended. Just a disaster waiting to happen - definitely won't let Safelite touch our Rivian.

-Rich

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
Getting Safelite onboard for windshield replacements is definitely a step in the right direction. Repairs like this really need to be offloaded from the service centers to free up space for the stuff that actually requires Rivian-specific expertise.

Hopefully this opens the door for independent shops as well. I would love to be able to use my local independent auto glass shop for future replacements.

Sponsored

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

Factory training required that is my opinion. Skilled journeyman level techs. Be it, at the "dealership" or franchise, or anywhere. A several year certificates of competence needs to be a Standard. To me, 10 years is how long many trades require to be proficient.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
Windshield replacement yes but they are unable to calibrate the sensors, not yet.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
I had a very good experience at the El Segundo Rivian Ctr. a couple days ago. If I had to do a repair on my Rivian, I would go to El Segundo Ctr. I assume all service Centers are different, but some things that are special to Rivian maybe best done by Rivian.
Having said that, I do get my tires at Discount Tire, but for the same reason, excellence. Well they are closer too.
Discount Tires are great! I purchased custom rim/tire combo from them for my '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve 4xe and my '23 BMW X3M Competition, each time, they were knowledgeable, professional, and go above and beyond to get my vehicles ready ASAP. Definitely will continue to use them for both my R1T and R1S in the future :like: