Tesla FSD coming to Rivian?

wwheelkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Finance
Do you think that the OEM in talks with Tesla to license the FSD technology is Rivian? I think the T and S have the necessary cameras, but I don't know if Tesla's FSD computer would need to accompany any truck, suv or car to make the FSD functional.
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Do you think that the OEM in talks with Tesla to license the FSD technology is Rivian? I think the T and S have the necessary cameras, but I don't know if Tesla's FSD computer would need to accompany any truck, suv or car to make the FSD functional.
Tesla's FSD is a scam. It has a few cool tricks but it does not come close to living up to Tesla's claims.

However, Tesla's basic autopilot is fabulous and a huge upgrade from Rivian's driver plus. I would happily pay Rivian, or Tesla to replace Driver+ with Tesla's Autopilot.

Last edited:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

FSD BETA is a joke. Watch enough videos of it doing its thing with an honest presenter and you'll see it's downright dangerous.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
No. Rivian doesn’t believe in FSD. They believe in fun of driving. You did not get memo?

Last edited:

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

If I had to place a bet I would say Stellantis may be the major OEM but it could certainly be VW. Rivian is not a major OEM.

Secondly let's elaborate on terms here. Tesla has three packages.

Basic AutoPilot

Enhanced AutoPilot

Full Self Driving - which includes the city streets

If Tesla licenses their ADAS tech I would expect a couple of things. The version provided to OEMs would likely be only the basic or enhanced packages and would probably be at least one generation behind the current stack.

The last part would be for a couple reasons like testing, stability, and Tesla vehicles need to be the only ones to have the latest and greatest to maintain their competitive edge.

hyzerfool

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green R1S, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Software writin' guy
Clubs

I've probably used Tesla FSD beta for 10,000+ miles and I love it. In fact, I really dislike driving our other car for longer distances where I have to actually drive the whole time. It's certainly not perfect and for city driving it's easier for me to drive than to use it, but I'm a big fan.

It's night and day better than it was a year ago. It used to drive like a 14 year old just starting for a learner's permit. Now it's more like an 18 year old (except the car never gets distracted).

Trips with it on are much easier on me and, with the human + autopilot combo, presumably quite a bit safer.

I'd love to have it in our (hypothetical, ordered but not delivered) R1S.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Please no.

I spent $15k on fsd across two Teslas. It’s utter overpromised hype. I have to pay more attention to the car when driving under FSD than if I just drove myself. I don’t have to worry about myself doing stupid shit, like running stop signs, not being able to navigate around debris on the road, going too fast around blind spots, taking turns way too fast.

I would love to get my $15k back, since I never got anywhere near close to L3 autonomy and I sold both Teslas.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Intelligent drive control in my 9 year old Mercedes is better than tesla FSD.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
If they try to put Tesla software and disable ultrasonic sensors and radar, I am never installing that update. I am sure someone will figure out a way to disable the antennas for cellular network.

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
If I had to place a bet I would say Stellantis may be the major OEM but it could certainly be VW. Rivian is not a major OEM.
My guess is Stellantis or Toyota. Both are way behind on EVs and need something to throw at the media to stay in the headlines (positively). Toyota had their solid state battery story, which bought them some time... but also earned them a bunch of articles calling BS. Plus, Toyota and Tesla have gotten in bed before.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Supposedly, Driver+ was developed in a manner that has the hardware to be close to what Tesla's FSD system is. However, Rivian has clearly indicated that self driving functions are not a priority right now. With the hardware in place, it's certainly capable of handling lane changes, recognizing traffic lights, etc, but because it's not a priority for Rivian at this time, it will likely be several years before we see any significant improvements to what we have. I wish they would at least get it to the level of Tesla's basic Auto Pilot capability, thus works based on what it sees rather than what's been mapped into to the software. At least for highway / freeway use. No reason it shouldn't work EVERYWHERE rather than just at places that have been pre-mapped.

Some type of lane change function would also be great. Even if we have to manually activate it by turning on the blinker, would be much better than it is now, where you have to disengage to make a lane change, then re-engage after the lane change.

Because of how many spots where it kicks off and doesn't work and because lane changes are needed quite often, I find that I rarely use it as it's more work to use it than it is to just drive the truck.

while Tesla has not had a problem with releasing "beta" software, most car manufacturers aren't willing to do so until what they release is perfected. So that, combined with it not being a priority for Rivian at this time, means it's likely several years away on the Rivian.

In terms of highway use, GM seems to have the best system out there with their "super cruise". The true hands-free capability is nice. Certainly much better than the constant nags every 13 seconds from Rivian and Tesla to put your hands on the wheel. Especially annoying when your hands already are on the steering wheel.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
First of all, you cannot believe anything Elon says on an earnings call. He has made some of his most hilarious promises (lies) on those calls.

So IF there is a company dumb enough to get tricked into licensing a scam like FSD, they will be in big trouble once they attempt to deploy it. Maybe Elon will use that as a Trojan horse to take down a competitor. :CWL:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Tesla's FSD is a scam. It has a few cool tricks but is does not come close to living up to Tesla's claims.

However, Tesla's basic autopilot is fabulous and a huge upgrade from Rivian's driver plus. I would happily pay Rivian, or Tesla to replace Driver+ with Tesla's Autopilot.
Interesting, I find the autopilot on my Model S and Driver + on the R1S to be very similar. Only change really would be to open Driver+ to all roads and not just mapped roads.

When I drove cross country driver+ worked on 90%+ of the highways I was on, was only dropping in work areas and toll booths. I was pretty happy with it and logged close to 4k miles with it engaged.

OP
OP
wwheelkid

wwheelkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Finance
Tesla's FSD is a scam. It has a few cool tricks but is does not come close to living up to Tesla's claims.

As a previous tesla owner and new R1T owner - I would rate the Drivers + about a 2.8 and Tesla's autopilot about a 7.8. Autopilot can be engaged anywhere (most anywhere) and I don't know about you guys but when the lane becomes thinner or if a big truck is on the dividing line the R1T will not mover over and doesn't take curves well at all either. Even with the new update it still gives me 0 confidence besides driving straight on a "mapped" highway.
Sponsored