wwheelkid

wwheelkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Finance
If they try to put Tesla software and disable ultrasonic sensors and radar, I am never installing that update. I am sure someone will figure out a way to disable the antennas for cellular network.
I would hope that whomever is the OEM will be able to utilize the USS and the radar. Didn't I see somewhere that HW4 may include a radar (maybe on the S/X). Not sure where i heard that.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
FSD BETA is a joke. Watch enough videos of it doing its thing with an honest presenter and you'll see it's downright dangerous.
I wouldn't call it a joke. It's actually damn impressive as to what it can do and the approach they're taking with their neural net. It has the most potential of any current system out there. That said, yes, even in its latest form, it will kill you if you don't pay attention the whole time. I think they will eventually evolve it to a true full self driving platform. It's going to continue taking a lot longer than Elon keeps estimating. but it's learning/improving at a faster rate with each iteration and now that Dojo is online that's accelerating. I think HW4 will make huge advances for the system, HW3 is too limited by noisy cameras and internal bandwidth restrictions.

OP
OP
wwheelkid

wwheelkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Finance
Supposedly, Driver+ was developed in a manner that has the hardware to be close to what Tesla's FSD system is. However, Rivian has clearly indicated that self driving functions are not a priority right now. With the hardware in place, it's certainly capable of handling lane changes, recognizing traffic lights, etc, but because it's not a priority for Rivian at this time, it will likely be several years before we see any significant improvements to what we have. I wish they would at least get it to the level of Tesla's basic Auto Pilot capability, thus works based on what it sees rather than what's been mapped into to the software. At least for highway / freeway use. No reason it shouldn't work EVERYWHERE rather than just at places that have been pre-mapped.

Some type of lane change function would also be great. Even if we have to manually activate it by turning on the blinker, would be much better than it is now, where you have to disengage to make a lane change, then re-engage after the lane change.

Because of how many spots where it kicks off and doesn't work and because lane changes are needed quite often, I find that I rarely use it as it's more work to use it than it is to just drive the truck.

while Tesla has not had a problem with releasing "beta" software, most car manufacturers aren't willing to do so until what they release is perfected. So that, combined with it not being a priority for Rivian at this time, means it's likely several years away on the Rivian.

In terms of highway use, GM seems to have the best system out there with their "super cruise". The true hands-free capability is nice. Certainly much better than the constant nags every 13 seconds from Rivian and Tesla to put your hands on the wheel. Especially annoying when your hands already are on the steering wheel.
Great points. I kinda was thinking the same thing with the cameras etc. I just haven't had much luck with Drivers + and having to engage D+ each time you change lanes is annoying.

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Please no.

I spent $15k on fsd across two Teslas. It’s utter overpromised hype. I have to pay more attention to the car when driving under FSD than if I just drove myself. I don’t have to worry about myself doing stupid shit, like running stop signs, not being able to navigate around debris on the road, going too fast around blind spots, taking turns way too fast.

I would love to get my $15k back, since I never got anywhere near close to L3 autonomy and I sold both Teslas.
I'm with you. I took delivery of my model 3 in 2018, with the $5k add on for Enhanced Autopilot. In early 2019, Tesla temporarily discounted FSD for a quick cash grab during model 3 production ramp, offering it for $2k to people who already had EA. I bit and still haven't experienced anything close to what Elon has hyped for years. Turns out I paid for the privilege of being a beta tester for at least a decade. Still have the model 3 as my daily driver, and I'll be happy to put 100k+ miles on it, but If there are fully autonomous cars by 2030 (Tesla or otherwise), I'll be shocked.

Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think any major or even minor vehicle manufacture is seriously considering licensing FSD.

Now sure they might express interest driven by ulterior motives.

Tesla is like a dude who if any girl even so much as smiles in his direction he'll think she wants to date him.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I'm with you. I took delivery of my model 3 in 2018, with the $5k add on for Enhanced Autopilot. In early 2019, Tesla temporarily discounted FSD for a quick cash grab during model 3 production ramp, offering it for $2k to people who already had EA. I bit and still haven't experienced anything close to what Elon has hyped for years. Turns out I paid for the privilege of being a beta tester for at least a decade. Still have the model 3 as my daily driver, and I'll be happy to put 100k+ miles on it, but If there are fully autonomous cars by 2030 (Tesla or otherwise), I'll be shocked.
I'll be really disappointed if we don't have L4 autonomous fleet vehicles by 2030.

What I mean by fleet vehicles is they won't be vehicles that are privately owned, but we simply subscribe to the service.

They won't be available everywhere and certainly won't drive anywhere, but they'll have known geographical areas.

In terms of private ownership I do have high hopes for freeway L4 systems. Like a very scaled up version of the L3 MB system.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Supposedly, Driver+ was developed in a manner that has the hardware to be close to what Tesla's FSD system is. However, Rivian has clearly indicated that self driving functions are not a priority right now. With the hardware in place, it's certainly capable of handling lane changes, recognizing traffic lights, etc, but because it's not a priority for Rivian at this time, it will likely be several years before we see any significant improvements to what we have. I wish they would at least get it to the level of Tesla's basic Auto Pilot capability, thus works based on what it sees rather than what's been mapped into to the software. At least for highway / freeway use. No reason it shouldn't work EVERYWHERE rather than just at places that have been pre-mapped.

Some type of lane change function would also be great. Even if we have to manually activate it by turning on the blinker, would be much better than it is now, where you have to disengage to make a lane change, then re-engage after the lane change.

Because of how many spots where it kicks off and doesn't work and because lane changes are needed quite often, I find that I rarely use it as it's more work to use it than it is to just drive the truck.

while Tesla has not had a problem with releasing "beta" software, most car manufacturers aren't willing to do so until what they release is perfected. So that, combined with it not being a priority for Rivian at this time, means it's likely several years away on the Rivian.

In terms of highway use, GM seems to have the best system out there with their "super cruise". The true hands-free capability is nice. Certainly much better than the constant nags every 13 seconds from Rivian and Tesla to put your hands on the wheel. Especially annoying when your hands already are on the steering wheel.
Except Rivian is constantly improving their Driver+ system. I suspect they don't see a point in adding new capabilities before they nail down everything about L2, which is not the approach other OEMs are taking.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
I would hope that whomever is the OEM will be able to utilize the USS and the radar. Didn't I see somewhere that HW4 may include a radar (maybe on the S/X). Not sure where i heard that.
Tesla disabled radar on vehicles that already have them. Why would you think that they would support it for an external customer?

OP
OP
wwheelkid

wwheelkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Finance
Tesla disabled radar on vehicles that already have them. Why would you think that they would support it for an external customer?
I am thinking that HW4 may come with some type of radar - as this may help with achieving FSD sooner and if an external customer has a compadle radar why not open use it.

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Except Rivian is constantly improving their Driver+ system. I suspect they don't see a point in adding new capabilities before they nail down everything about L2, which is not the approach other OEMs are taking.
Right, they continue to fine tune what already exists, but as you stated, adding new capabilities isn't on the priority list at the moment.

jimmyb2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Express AWD, Lexus RX450h, Rivian R1S
Each to his own.

I don't care if there never is a FSD vehicle. I enjoy driving. I don't want the car to drive. I want to drive. And I especially enjoy driving my R1S.

If I want someone/something else to drive me I will take an Uber, a train, a bus, a taxi, an airplane, a streetcar, or let a friend/relative drive; and I don't do any of those.

Never the vehicle driving for me!

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

The way I think about FSD vehicles is that by the time I'm too old or unable to drive myself to the grocery stores or to the doctor's appointments, that's when I need it.

By then, FSD will be a common place and be very proven. So for now, the thought to have one in any of my vehicles never crosses my mind, nor hits my pocketbook.

rbr19870445

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 981 GT4, 3rd gen 4runner, 1st gen JDM CRV
Clubs

Not sure if I want Elon roaming around my truck with FSD in it's current form.
Sponsored