Sponsored

Rivian needs to update software fix for backup camera freezing while backing out of garage (going from dark to bright lighting)

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Rivian has the records to find if there is any commonality between the vehicles that experience this problem - that's what they did with the recent accelerator pedal recall, for example. But until they have problem reports from a large number of people it's unlikely they can trace it to a specific lot of components, or to a specific piece of software.

So my advice is to open a service ticket to report the issue. If they see enough of these issues then they can figure out what is going on.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It might be worth turning off the auto screen change as well to see if it is the transition of the screens or an issue in the cameras. Could be a camera firmware issue which is why some of us do not see it.

I have an Early R1S built 10/22 and do not see it on mine and like @VSG I have a tight garage so certainly would notice it if it was happening.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Happens to me each time i back out of the garage into daylight. I have NOT noticed it when I pull FORWARD out of the dark garage into daylight.
Absolutely happens going forward (and reverse) for me. I get it happening every time I enter my garage during the day and the screens change to night mode. I have to stop every time it happens because I'm trying to negotiate around some tight objects in the garage.

amos0077

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
system architect
Clubs

Happens every morning...

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
Happens to me also. The entire infotainment freezes for a second when flipping from light to dark.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

FWIW, I double-checked this the other day. It's 100% the day/night auto mode on the screens. If I set it to stay in day mode then I get no freezing on the camera view. If I leave it in auto, then I get freezing when going from light to dark (driving into my garage) and again when going from dark to light (leaving the garage).

OP
OP

Mooeymoose

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
MD
FWIW, I double-checked this the other day. It's 100% the day/night auto mode on the screens. If I set it to stay in day mode then I get no freezing on the camera view. If I leave it in auto, then I get freezing when going from light to dark (driving into my garage) and again when going from dark to light (leaving the garage).

Good point. I did not know you can turn off the auto switching of day night modes. While it’s not a fix it’s an improvement. Personally I like the night mode better anyway.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Last week I had issues with my infotainment display appearing to completely lock up when switching from the camera to anything else manually. Buttons still worked but it was stuck on a static display of whatever the camera was showing for upwards of 10 seconds.

Didn't do it today.

Rivifan

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Infiniti QX60
Occupation
IT Solution Architect
Clubs

This happens to me as well, but I always thought this was related to flipping from home wifi to trucks data. Opposite happens when i pull in to the garage and ask Alexa to pop the hood or charge port. Almost never works when i first enter the garage, but if i wait a few seconds (i assume the time it takes to lock on to my wifi signal) works flawlessly. I will pay more attn to the day/night mode and if it ever happens anywhere but home.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

This happened to me starting with the latest software update (2024.03.02). It never happened to me before this update. I tried to do an infotainment reset, but the issue still persists.

Sponsored

TucsonST

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch Edition, 2020 Acura RDX Advance
Occupation
Engineer
This happens to me as well, but I always thought this was related to flipping from home wifi to trucks data. Opposite happens when i pull in to the garage and ask Alexa to pop the hood or charge port. Almost never works when i first enter the garage, but if i wait a few seconds (i assume the time it takes to lock on to my wifi signal) works flawlessly. I will pay more attn to the day/night mode and if it ever happens anywhere but home.
I have WiFi turned off, so that's not it, for me anyway.

OP
OP

Mooeymoose

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
MD
With the last update I don’t think this is occurring anyone. I will keep and eye out but it did not happen today as I pulled in the garage.

Spaceball1

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 Kia EV6, 15 Mustang GT Vert
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
With the last update I don’t think this is occurring anyone. I will keep and eye out but it did not happen today as I pulled in the garage.
Mine was still doing it after the update in February, but that new latest update (2024.7.2) that I just got yesterday actually says in the documentation "Made stability improvements to the backup camera view", so I am hopeful.

I did test it this morning on my usual backing out of my garage, and it did NOT glitch for me so I have some hope :)

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Mine was still doing it after the update in February, but that new latest update (2024.7.2) that I just got yesterday actually says in the documentation "Made stability improvements to the backup camera view", so I am hopeful.

I did test it this morning on my usual backing out of my garage, and it did NOT glitch for me so I have some hope :)
Lucky for you. Entering the garage at work this morning on 2024.7.2 it still happened to me when the display went from day mode to night mode. This was showing the front camera, but it ought to be the same issue. :mad:

NoGoingBack

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, R1T
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Installed the new update last night and this morning when I backed out of the garage today the backup camera did not glitch as it changed from dark to light theme. Thinking they must have fixed it with the new update! If anyone still has the issue after the update maybe try a infotainment reset.
Sponsored