First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Navigation is decent in SoCal. But I don’t use Alexa for anything. I don’t even use “send to Rivian” much, from my phone.

bdwalters

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Hardware Engineer
Alexa is terrible. I don’t know how many times it tried to route me out of state for a destination 5 miles away. I don’t use navigation much, so I can get over this, but for my wife, this would be a showstopper.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
If you followed the directions to the back entrance you would have been rewarded with this:

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
…There are times it will give me a location 600 miles away for something that is 5….
THIS! This drives me nuts! I ask for directions to Home Depot (or a Starbucks) a couple miles away. And Alexa seems to start (if in fact it understands the request at all) with locations 50 miles away. Then when I say ‘No, not that one’, proceeds to list location after location that is no where near me… until finally listing the closest location. It is like Alexa has no idea where I am located when I first attempt to start the navigation. And then multiple times when the desired location is finally offered as a choice and I select it, Alexa goes silent and no navigation is triggered.
So mostly I just talk to Siri on my phone for directions other than road trips when I need charger locations.

Sponsored

sphereobject

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Occupation
Troll
This is true. I was showing off Alexa to a friend debating between a R1S and Cybertruck, and Alexa navigated us to a long ago permanently fenced off road at a public park.

ebarke

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
why does this matter?
Occupation
software engineer
Clubs

It's not even that. It's like she acts like I'm speaking a foreign language, or something. She *refuses* to understand anything I say. Here's a few videos:

Can't find city hall:

Can't find my dog's vet:

Can't find FedEx depot:

The dumbest is in the "Can't find FedEx" bit. around the 4:20 minute mark I literally type the address into her navigation system, to confirm she knows the address. I then *read back the address to her exactly as it shows on the screen, and she still can't find it*:

1713206174053-zn.png

I read the address back to her exactly as it's shown on the screen and she still tries to navigate to the wrong place. You might have to turn the volume up a bit to hear her responses. It's infuriating.
LOL, I've had the exact same experience, and even if it gets the right spot, it often takes you the long way around. It's like it will tell you to go right instead of left, maybe because it's easier to make a right turn, but going that way is a round about way. I've had it tell me to take an exit on a hwy only to turn back on to it and cross 2 lanes of heavy traffic just to get back to where I was in the first place! It's also hit and miss when I ask it to call my wife's phone, sometimes it gets it, sometimes it has no idea what I am asking. Our tesla works so much better in this regard. I do hope they improve this. It would be nice to see google maps instead, but I doubt that will ever happen until they cut ties with Amazon/Alexa.

puffin15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
We need Android Auto / Car Play. Navigation experience is a huge downgrade and detractor from owning a Rivian til then.

jdkent

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Attorney
It's not even that. It's like she acts like I'm speaking a foreign language, or something. She *refuses* to understand anything I say. Here's a few videos:

Can't find city hall:

Can't find my dog's vet:

Can't find FedEx depot:

The dumbest is in the "Can't find FedEx" bit. around the 4:20 minute mark I literally type the address into her navigation system, to confirm she knows the address. I then *read back the address to her exactly as it shows on the screen, and she still can't find it*:

1713206174053-zn.png

I read the address back to her exactly as it's shown on the screen and she still tries to navigate to the wrong place. You might have to turn the volume up a bit to hear her responses. It's infuriating.
I agree with you that Alexa's voice recognition for things like name - whether contacts to call or street names - is flat out awful compared to Siri. Not so sure about Google.....

Sponsored

arbreg17

First Name
Das
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Preorder
Alexa was the first thing I disabled in settings when I got delivery. I loved Carplay in my last car, but I don't find myself missing it even though I was sure I would.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I agree with you that Alexa's voice recognition for things like name - whether contacts to call or street names - is flat out awful compared to Siri. Not so sure about Google.....
Google is a thousand times better. I have Alexa in my house and Google on my phone. Whenever I ask Alexa a question and get a messed up/ridiculou response, I ask Google the same exact question and get an actual valid answer. For Alexa being out so long, it's apparent that Amazon isn't big on improving the technology. There's really no good reason that it continues to be so bad....

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Alexa was the first thing I disabled in settings when I got delivery. I loved Carplay in my last car, but I don't find myself missing it even though I was sure I would.
At this point, I don't think I'd want a vehicle without it. I've just gotten so accustom to my phone automatically pairing with my vehicle and allowing that seamless interaction between the infotainment system and my phone. Not having it would feel like going backwards 10 years.

OP
OP
Oldsmobile_Mike

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

@Oldsmobile_Mike you gotta move out of manassas, bro.
Ha! Too funny. We love our house, but the community and city government is an absolute sh** show. 😆 Doesn't help that we're involved in a lawsuit against the City of Manassas Park over some bullsh** that existed for years before we moved here. Fun times...
Sponsored