First Name
Ravi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Gen2 Raptor, Lotus Evora, Chevy Bolt/Volt
Occupation
Sys Eng
Posing this experience out there. We have a R1T on order, and purchased (received) a Lucid Air last month. On our first long highway road trip (3 hours on the turnpike), passengers complained of the back and forth sensation from the regenerative braking, no matter how gently I tried to drive. They felt like motion sickness (while nobody got sick thankfully.) There is no coast feature on the Lucid Air, nor Rivian. Both allow it to be reduced, but not disengaged. Ford Lightning does allow regenerative braking to be disabled, but the wait for that truck is 2+ years I am told. While the range from the Lucid was great, the ride is uncomfortable, and we probably wont be taking long trips in it again. Yes, Lucid has been contacted. And I am rethinking my R1T purchase, one milk shake machine is enough. Anyone else having similar experiences??
Use cruise control as much as possible.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Scottyftlaud

First Name
Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram pick p
Occupation
Retired
OK… Your high horse has a nice view…

I have been driving for 50+ years in every contraption possible. Started in a ‘63 Dodge Dart with a 3 on the tree.

Class 8 trucks to 911’s, Mustang GT’s with sticks. Everything in between. Still have 4 MT vehicles…. Also mid 6 figures in the snow. Private Pilot Multi Engine Instrument. Boats offshore and inshore in all kinds of conditions. Farm and Construction equipment operation.

I can make machinery do what is intended.

The other day my wife ( who has many hours in overhead seas, both sailing and under power and has never been seasick) was in the passenger seat of our R1T with me driving.

She was like “What are you doing? I am about to puke.” I was not paying perfect attention, apparently. I do drive the Rivian sparingly, but attention does need to be paid.

And they better come up with a snow mode. I mostly drive on two lane 55mph roads and it will be a pain to keep up with the regen. Luckily I have other ICE vehicles. Downhill mountain driving in the snow might be untenable.
I used to drive trucks with engine braking, and we turned it off in snow, as it would put the vehicle into a spin. Slippery road conditions as well. I wonder how much testing has been done with regenerative braking in snow, or skid pans. Will the reg braking put the vehicle into a spin.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I can make machinery do what is intended.

The other day my wife ( who has many hours in overhead seas, both sailing and under power and has never been seasick) was in the passenger seat of our R1T with me driving.

She was like “What are you doing? I am about to puke.” I was not paying perfect attention, apparently. I do drive the Rivian sparingly, but attention does need to be paid.
I love when people say "It's not me, it's the car" and yet, I don't have any problems driving smoothly in my R1T, even in sport mode. If I drive aggressively, yeah passengers with easy stomachs are going to get upset about it. Same as every other car I've ever driven. It's just that the R1T has a lot more instantaneous torque and a passenger gets no warning if you don't tell them.

If I had a passenger on my daily commute, I would have to drive very differently.

I used to drive trucks with engine braking, and we turned it off in snow, as it would put the vehicle into a spin. Slippery road conditions as well. I wonder how much testing has been done with regenerative braking in snow, or skid pans. Will the reg braking put the vehicle into a spin.
Rivian immediately stops regen temporarily if it detects a tire is skidding. It basically works like ABS but the re-application of regen isn't quite like the mechanical brakes in ABS. It seems to start off greatly reduced and slowly increase, but I haven't had a long enough skid to really get a good feel for it.

Last edited:

parkside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1-T and several ICE
Occupation
Business Owner
I did not say “ It was not me.” I said that I was not paying attention and my lack of attention Affected my iron stomached wife.

Even you are saying you have to drive differently with passengers.

How important exactly is regen braking? Adds a little energy back? Saves brake pad wear?

Seems like an option to turn it off would be useful. Especially in low traction/increased G-force situations.

I am out on this… Mine is going in to a heated building here pretty soon and the Q7 with the Blizzak’s is coming to the house to drive. That thing is a cat in the snow. No reason to make it harder than necessary.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

We tried the adaptive cruise control on the turnpike here in Fla with the Lucid. People drive like morons and will pass you on the right, pulling into your lane, which causes the car to slow down. Over and over. Learning experience for sure.
It sounds like you should move at least one lane to the right. I was taught to keep right except to pass and that is a sure fire way to avoid being passed on the right.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm assuming these were RWD trucks and not 4WD? With 4WD, engine braking is actually very stable and more controllable and leads to less ABS activation.

OP
OP

Scottyftlaud

First Name
Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram pick p
Occupation
Retired
I'm assuming these were RWD trucks and not 4WD? With 4WD, engine braking is actually very stable and more controllable and leads to less ABS activation.
True. Tractor trailer, straight trucks, etc. You have probably heard engine braking. So just rear (tandums) and not all wheel.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
It sounds like you should move at least one lane to the right. I was taught to keep right except to pass and that is a sure fire way to avoid being passed on the right.
Yeah, but that was Florida.

There are no rules, and every lane is fair game for everything.

California is like the Tesla Motor Clubs forum where ads are out of the way, and Florida is like the Rivian Forums where the ads literally punch you in the face.

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S,Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430, Passat VR6
Clubs

Use cruise control as much as possible.
Posing this experience out there. We have a R1T on order, and purchased (received) a Lucid Air last month. On our first long highway road trip (3 hours on the turnpike), passengers complained of the back and forth sensation from the regenerative braking, no matter how gently I tried to drive. They felt like motion sickness (while nobody got sick thankfully.) There is no coast feature on the Lucid Air, nor Rivian. Both allow it to be reduced, but not disengaged. Ford Lightning does allow regenerative braking to be disabled, but the wait for that truck is 2+ years I am told. While the range from the Lucid was great, the ride is uncomfortable, and we probably wont be taking long trips in it again. Yes, Lucid has been contacted. And I am rethinking my R1T purchase, one milk shake machine is enough. Anyone else having similar experiences??
I test drove a Lucid
I have a Lucid and a Rivian on order. I get motion sickness and when I do I do not recover quickly. I am used to gliding up to a light. I have test driven both of them. I got to drive the Rivian on high regen. It was alien. I also drove the Lucid. I want to like the Rivian but I may be xxxxxx. From what I have read I can't imagine getting the Lucid. I didn't really like it. Looks like I may be out $300. I am worried that I wouldn't be able to adjust to the Rivian. Not good news but better to get it now then later.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Last Friday I test drove a Tesla Y performance by myself. The automatic braking from 5 miles per hour was beyond unpleasent. I got seriouse motion sickness. I was really looking forward to the R1S. I have kind of lost interest in all cars. Has anyone driven a Rivian on low Re-gen.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I test drove a Lucid

Last Friday I test drove a Tesla Y performance by myself. The automatic braking from 5 miles per hour was beyond unpleasent. I got seriouse motion sickness. I was really looking forward to the R1S. I have kind of lost interest in all cars. Has anyone driven a Rivian on low Re-gen.
My wife and I had the same feeling after our first test drive and even owning the Tesla for a while, but your body does get used to it (as a daily driver) my wife still sometimes feels it hopping in my car since she’s not driving an electric vehicle.

Last edited:

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Had the first mile test drive last Friday and I was very mindful of this issue. I've had passengers get motion sickness in a RR I had. I drove the car in all different settings. I, however, did not drive it hard or over the speed limit because I don't own the car, I had passengers in the car and it was in a congested area. I did not sense any motion sickness in any mode; nor did any of the passengers.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Does suspension mode affect this? In my daily driver, one suspension mode bothers people on certain roads. I'm curious if regen in certain suspension modes is more likely to upset passengers than in other modes. For those that've had this issue, what mode were you in?

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I'd agree with @Dark-Fx general sentiment that most people need to relearn/retrain how they drive with regen.
Some people truly do not know how to accelerate smoothly and come to a complete stop in the same manner regardless of vehicle.
I guarantee I will get motion sickness if I ever let my sister drive my Leaf or R1S, but she has always been hard on the gas and hard on the brake, thank god our drive to school was only 5 minutes.

Generally I drive and I enjoy the ride, but if I want every mi/kwh, starting and stopping will feel smoother than any ICE you've ever been in.

I also agree with those saying that there needs to be different regen settings available because there are times when it can be useful and why not?

@Dave711 There is no "automatic braking" from 5 miles per hour. That's you letting off the pedal enough for the regen to kick in too high. Ride the accelerator a bit more and you can coast to a stop.

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S,Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430, Passat VR6
Clubs

I'd agree with @Dark-Fx general sentiment that most people need to relearn/retrain how they drive with regen.
Some people truly do not know how to accelerate smoothly and come to a complete stop in the same manner regardless of vehicle.
I guarantee I will get motion sickness if I ever let my sister drive my Leaf or R1S, but she has always been hard on the gas and hard on the brake, thank god our drive to school was only 5 minutes.

Generally I drive and I enjoy the ride, but if I want every mi/kwh, starting and stopping will feel smoother than any ICE you've ever been in.

I also agree with those saying that there needs to be different regen settings available because there are times when it can be useful and why not?

@Dave711 There is no "automatic braking" from 5 miles per hour. That's you letting off the pedal enough for the regen to kick in too high. Ride the accelerator a bit more and you can coast to a stop.
I am refering to the Tesla but I have also driven the Rivian. As you take your foot off the accelerator the car will come to a complete stop. Neither car coasts.
Sponsored