Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I am refering to the Tesla but I have also driven the Rivian. As you take your foot off the accelerator the car will come to a complete stop. Neither car coasts.
Sure they do...you just have to find the neutral point on the throttle and it'll coast just fine. This is the point they were trying to make with relearning how to drive with an EV. You only come completely off the throttle if you need reasonably strong braking, and you don't pop off of it. That would be the equivalent of slamming on the brakes immediately after releasing the throttle. Anyone who's driven a manual transmission car and downshifted with engine braking already knows the technique where you modulate your braking by adding or removing small amounts of throttle until you need to add friction brakes.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I am refering to the Tesla but I have also driven the Rivian. As you take your foot off the accelerator the car will come to a complete stop. Neither car coasts.
So modulate the accelerator? It’s not an on/off switch.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I understand and I'm not trying to discount your experience (apologies if it came off that way) I just thought it was a good opportunity to point out the relearning required when going to an EV with any amount of regen.
Tesla, Rivian, Nissan, BMW, etc. all will "coast" when you learn to find that neutral point. Some are a bit touchier and/or less refined than others for sure.

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430
Clubs

I understand and I'm not trying to discount your experience (apologies if it came off that way) I just thought it was a good opportunity to point out the relearning required when going to an EV with any amount of regen.
Tesla, Rivian, Nissan, BMW, etc. all will "coast" when you learn to find that neutral point. Some are a bit touchier and/or less refined than others for sure.
If you think so. I easy found the steady state on the Tesla where you maintain the same speed. That is not coasting. I was refering to the experience as you come up to a stop sign and the car will come up to a complete stop. I found that very unpleasent. Some people have a hard time finding a steady state or steady speed in an ICB car.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Does suspension mode affect this? In my daily driver, one suspension mode bothers people on certain roads. I'm curious if regen in certain suspension modes is more likely to upset passengers than in other modes. For those that've had this issue, what mode were you in?
Mode does change the throttle mapping slightly. All purpose is less abrupt than sport is. Conserve is even softer mapping, but if used regularly you're gonna wear out the front tires a lot faster.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

If you think so. I easy found the steady state on the Tesla where you maintain the same speed. That is not coasting. I was refering to the experience as you come up to a stop sign and the car will come up to a complete stop. I found that very unpleasent. Some people have a hard time finding a steady state or steady speed in an ICB car.
I found learning to use a stick shift "very unpleasant" at first.
Starts were harsh and stops weren't smooth. Now I love it because I learned it.

Don't let a single test drive on a completely new technology to you shape your idea of what the vehicle can and can't do when it comes to driving comfort.

Side note but my uncle who is 84 got a Mach-E last year.
Loves the acceleration but did not like the regen much because
1. He was just too used to using the brakes and
2. His motor skills have declined enough that modulating/finding that neutral point on the accelerator was difficult for him.

There will be people and situations that regen is not ideal for various reasons. That's okay.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I grew up on Project Gotham. Does that make a difference?

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430
Clubs

I found learning to use a stick shift "very unpleasant" at first.
Starts were harsh and stops weren't smooth. Now I love it because I learned it.

Don't let a single test drive on a completely new technology to you shape your idea of what the vehicle can and can't do when it comes to driving comfort.

Side note but my uncle who is 84 got a Mach-E last year.
Loves the acceleration but did not like the regen much because
1. He was just too used to using the brakes and
2. His motor skills have declined enough that modulating/finding that neutral point on the accelerator was difficult for him.

There will be people and situations that regen is not ideal for various reasons. That's okay.
I'm not as old as your uncle but I have become more sensitive to motion sickness over time. I rode the wild mouse at Coney Island long ago and loved it. I have been a wild man in cars and on my many motorcycles but not any more. I just couldn't keep the front wheels on the ground. I have also taken racing classes at Spring Mountain. I was something in my day. I was a superman. Let's see where that pasture is. Have fun.

Last edited:

JeffADK

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Convertible, Tractor, UTV
Occupation
All the time
Clubs

I agree with SlaterGS completely. My R1T is my first EV, but I've driven 500K miles on manual transmissions, not to mention many hours on hydrostatic drive tractors. My first few days with standard regen were still not very smooth at times - old habits die hard. The worst was when I was bedding the brakes on Day 2 - almost got sick to my stomach. (I am prone to vertigo at times, so it doesn't take much to make me queasy.)

After 2 weeks and 500 miles I switched to high regen and I haven't looked back! My passengers do not complain about my jerky driving anymore and nobody gets nauseated, except at my "dad" jokes. Drove my wife's ICE convertible the other day and was afraid I would rear-end someone at a light.

This truck is the all-around most enjoyable vehicle that I have ever driven, and I have had some good ones. And I can't see myself ever going back to an ICE vehicle, either. Give it a chance.

Vonmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, Volvo V60 Cross Country
I know this is an old topic but has anyone tried snow mode and does it help with passenger motion sickness?

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It's too bad Rivian (like Tesla) elected not to use blended braking.
The ability to map regen to either pedal can make the EV driving experience easier/more pleasant to a wider audience.
There are EV choices out there that allow full one pedal driving or a setting that coasts when off throttle. In both settings, using the brake pedal adds regen up until the time that no more can be provided (motor or battery limitations). Only when that limit is reached do the friction pads engage.

AlanP

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Wife Solterra
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Why should this even be a discussion topic? I’ve owned many sticks and can shift smoother than many automatics . Driving shouldn’t make you nauseous. My R1S is unpredictable with varying levels of regen and jerkiness. Rivian just needs to improve it. Just another tap on the display for an option to eliminate it.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Why should this even be a discussion topic? I’ve owned many sticks and can shift smoother than many automatics . Driving shouldn’t make you nauseous. My R1S is unpredictable with varying levels of regen and jerkiness. Rivian just needs to improve it. Just another tap on the display for an option to eliminate it.
You may want to have your vehicle checked out, mine is very predictable and smooth.

AlanP

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Wife Solterra
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

You may want to have your vehicle checked out, mine is very predictable and smooth.
Just came back from service "within specs"
Sponsored