First Name
Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram pick p
Occupation
Retired
Posing this experience out there. We have a R1T on order, and purchased (received) a Lucid Air last month. On our first long highway road trip (3 hours on the turnpike), passengers complained of the back and forth sensation from the regenerative braking, no matter how gently I tried to drive. They felt like motion sickness (while nobody got sick thankfully.) There is no coast feature on the Lucid Air, nor Rivian. Both allow it to be reduced, but not disengaged. Ford Lightning does allow regenerative braking to be disabled, but the wait for that truck is 2+ years I am told. While the range from the Lucid was great, the ride is uncomfortable, and we probably wont be taking long trips in it again. Yes, Lucid has been contacted. And I am rethinking my R1T purchase, one milk shake machine is enough. Anyone else having similar experiences??
Sponsored

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
As a first time EV driver, it took me all of about 10 minutes to get a feel for the accelerator to avoid the "motion sickness" you're describing in the R1T. For a smooth transition, you don't lift off the accelerator.. you just slowly allow it to "rise" to decelerate. It's not so sensitive that this is difficult. I have no experience with other EVs to compare. YMMV.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
The R1 is my first EV at all and I have the regenerative breaking on high in the truck. Iā€™ve found that by using pedal breaking I can actually keep a constant speed and have a lower incidence of motion sickness than an ice vehicle.

Itā€™s similar to an aircraft with no turbulence. Once you get up to speed in an aircraft and assuming no turbulence there really isnā€™t even a sensation of motion at all. The R1T is similarly stable. Iā€™ve also noticed that stopping is much smoother as you can more accurately control the slowing down using regeneration than conventional brakes. It comes to a stop ā€œsofterā€ easier.

You have to treat the accelerator like both the go pedal and a brake pedal in reverse.Just as you wouldnā€™t stomp on a brake pedal you apply a similar light touch lifting off your foot.

You have to lift your foot off gradually just as you would apply brake force gradually.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
As someone else said, you need to learn how to properly modulate the accelerator. The only time anyone in my truck experiences the like is when I'm not paying attention and have to go no regen to full regen to stop in time. Any time I'm carefully modulating the accelerator to engage regen, it's not an issue at all. It's literally the same forces being applied as with regular braking, so if there's an issue, it's likely operator error.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Kind of like learning to drive a stick shift smoothly, just requires a little practice. But, as with most things requiring physical coordination, I can appreciate that it is a skill that all may not be able to master.

Sponsored

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7,A3, Macan GTS
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
Holy Crap, I have a teen who had issues with motion sickness when he was little.......oh well, I guess he'll sit in the front.

gombater

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T FE/FG
Occupation
Engineering Manager
So here is my experience - started with F150 lightning; absolutely no issues with regeneration off [only this truck has this option] drove just like my prior ICE F150. I think Ford might have got this right as a 'transition' vehicle... Next up, my R1T. no option to turn regeneration off - standard or high. First ride in R1T I got so nauseous had to lie down for a while... once I figured out I can no longer 'coast' to a stop/slow down, things got a lot better. Its a matter of breaking old ICE 35 year old habits.... still do it on occasion due to habit, but no longer nauseous. On the second day I was figuring out that you cannot let of accelerator at all, you need to feather it all the time. Hope I never get a right ankle injury or I won't be able to drive an EV...

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Learn how to drive, eh? Accelerators are not on/off switches.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Everyone else has pretty much summed it up already, so not much else to add. But if you are the type to go on/off the accelerator, then the R1T will definitely be a throw up machine for everyone else.

I however LOVE the Regen in High on the R1T and it makes the Regen in my wife's Volvo feel like it's not even there....and it is pretty strong itself compared to a Tesla.

Aubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Preorder
The Rivian pedal has a pretty long throw compared to other EVs so it is easier to modulate the throttle keep it cruising. I'd suggest test driving the Rivian first before canceling.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Just one other thought. It may be a little harder for someone who has never driven a vehicle with a manual transmission to adjust to.

The accelerator action is very similar to a manual transmission with clutch engaged (foot off clutch peddle). Anyone with manual transmission experience should adjust to it fairly quickly to regen brake action.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
Just one other thought. It may be a little harder for someone who has never driven a vehicle with a manual transmission to adjust to.

The accelerator action is very similar to a manual transmission with clutch engaged (foot off clutch peddle). Anyone with manual transmission experience should adjust to it fairly quickly to regen brake action.
This is a great point. I absolutely love the 1 pedal driving and now that you mention it I always would downshift to engine brake in my prior manual cars.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
When I first got our Tesla Model Y perf took about 2 weeks to get over the motion sickness. Definitely easier as the driver vs the passenger. When we rented a R1T to test for a day my wife said she got less of that motion sickness feeling in the rivian. I think itā€™s because the accelerator pedal isnā€™t as sensitive. I think itā€™s also that feeling of smooth acceleration, maybe our bodies are super used to shifting of transmissions and it takes time to get used to it.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
The one thing I'll add that others haven't mentioned is that on road trips, adaptive cruise control works really well. It's super natural in terms of speeding up and slowing down, and takes your foot out of the equation completely.

This is coming from someone who definitely experienced motion sickness on day 1 of ownership despite being in the driver's seat šŸ˜…

OP
OP

Scottyftlaud

First Name
Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram pick p
Occupation
Retired
The Rivian pedal has a pretty long throw compared to other EVs so it is easier to modulate the throttle keep it cruising. I'd suggest test driving the Rivian first before canceling.
Rivian is bringing a R1T to test drive on Monday. They say they have made improvements since my last test drive in Ca quite awhile ago. We shall see.
Sponsored