First Name
Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram pick p
Occupation
Retired
When I first got our Tesla Model Y perf took about 2 weeks to get over the motion sickness. Definitely easier as the driver vs the passenger. When we rented a R1T to test for a day my wife said she got less of that motion sickness feeling in the rivian. I think it’s because the accelerator pedal isn’t as sensitive. I think it’s also that feeling of smooth acceleration, maybe our bodies are super used to shifting of transmissions and it takes time to get used to it.
I have a test drive scheduled for next week, with delivery the end of the month. I will see if I can undo years of driving, and stay on one pedal. That will be the challenge.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Scottyftlaud

First Name
Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram pick p
Occupation
Retired
The one thing I'll add that others haven't mentioned is that on road trips, adaptive cruise control works really well. It's super natural in terms of speeding up and slowing down, and takes your foot out of the equation completely.

This is coming from someone who definitely experienced motion sickness on day 1 of ownership despite being in the driver's seat 😅
We tried the adaptive cruise control on the turnpike here in Fla with the Lucid. People drive like morons and will pass you on the right, pulling into your lane, which causes the car to slow down. Over and over. Learning experience for sure.

OP
OP

Scottyftlaud

First Name
Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram pick p
Occupation
Retired
Just one other thought. It may be a little harder for someone who has never driven a vehicle with a manual transmission to adjust to.

The accelerator action is very similar to a manual transmission with clutch engaged (foot off clutch peddle). Anyone with manual transmission experience should adjust to it fairly quickly to regen brake action.
Ahhhhh I grew up with manual transmissions, and 3 pedals instead of driving with just one. All we can do is try this truck.

G_Land79

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi S4, 2014 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Statistician
Clubs

I've also noticed that people with video game experience tend to have no issues driving and getting used to the regen pedal.

This is my first EV and I think it drives smoother than an ICE for accel and decel. I took my mom (who has bad motion sickness) and dad (who had ALS) for a ride and they were both fine, so it must be possible to keep it smooth, just requires retraining the muscle memory.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

As others have said, the throttle pedal is analog, not digital. If you lift off completely it's almost, but not exactly, the same as slamming your foot down on the brake pedal. If you actually use the brake pedal you'll engage the friction brakes and decelerate much faster than regen (off-throttle) alone. In various drive modes you'll likely find the throttle to be mapped slightly differently, but in all of them there will be some point on the throttle pedal travel that is neutral...neither accelerating or decelerating and slowly releasing the throttle will add more and more regen. You can see that on the right side of the driver display with the arc showing both acceleration and regen graphed. It's really not a big deal to adapt. Just don't forget that the brake pedal exists when it's needed, but you'll find you will naturally increase your following distance so you'll use it less.

Sponsored

parkside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1-T and several ICE
Occupation
Business Owner
OK… Your high horse has a nice view…

I have been driving for 50+ years in every contraption possible. Started in a ‘63 Dodge Dart with a 3 on the tree.

Class 8 trucks to 911’s, Mustang GT’s with sticks. Everything in between. Still have 4 MT vehicles…. Also mid 6 figures in the snow. Private Pilot Multi Engine Instrument. Boats offshore and inshore in all kinds of conditions. Farm and Construction equipment operation.

I can make machinery do what is intended.

The other day my wife ( who has many hours in overhead seas, both sailing and under power and has never been seasick) was in the passenger seat of our R1T with me driving.

She was like “What are you doing? I am about to puke.” I was not paying perfect attention, apparently. I do drive the Rivian sparingly, but attention does need to be paid.

And they better come up with a snow mode. I mostly drive on two lane 55mph roads and it will be a pain to keep up with the regen. Luckily I have other ICE vehicles. Downhill mountain driving in the snow might be untenable.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
The Rivian pedal has a pretty long throw compared to other EVs so it is easier to modulate the throttle keep it cruising. I'd suggest test driving the Rivian first before canceling.
+1 on this. I drive my Tesla with Regen on High and I find it's significantly trickier than the Rivian, which is relatively manageable due to the long throw. And most drivers adapt pretty quickly. I'm a much smoother driver with one-pedal than without, but it took a few weeks to switch over initially.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
+1 on this. I drive my Tesla with Regen on High and I find it's significantly trickier than the Rivian, which is relatively manageable due to the long throw. And most drivers adapt pretty quickly. I'm a much smoother driver with one-pedal than without, but it took a few weeks to switch over initially.
One thing I noticed on the Rivian, once on throttle and going over bumps in the road your foot naturally moves a bit and that movement activates the regen breaking pretty significantly making the drive a bit more jarring. I never noticed this on teslas throttle mapping, but I’ve seen this noted before on the forum.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
The only time I have any problems is backing up.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I am not sure why I quickly adapted to High regen in my R1T but I did. The last 3 weeks I have driven a lot of winding mountain roads and high regen is great for slowing in the corners and controlling down hill speed.

On open highway cruise works nicely but even without cruise no jerky motion.

A warning about Adaptive Cruise Control : when entering a curve where the long side of the arc is on the drivers side and passing a car on the left if a vehicle coming in the opposite direction appears just as you start to pass, the truck will think the vehicle on the other side of the road is an obstruction AND WILL BRAKE HARD!

It happened twice on trip along I84 in OR.

Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Posing this experience out there. We have a R1T on order, and purchased (received) a Lucid Air last month. On our first long highway road trip (3 hours on the turnpike), passengers complained of the back and forth sensation from the regenerative braking, no matter how gently I tried to drive. They felt like motion sickness (while nobody got sick thankfully.) There is no coast feature on the Lucid Air, nor Rivian. Both allow it to be reduced, but not disengaged. Ford Lightning does allow regenerative braking to be disabled, but the wait for that truck is 2+ years I am told. While the range from the Lucid was great, the ride is uncomfortable, and we probably wont be taking long trips in it again. Yes, Lucid has been contacted. And I am rethinking my R1T purchase, one milk shake machine is enough. Anyone else having similar experiences??
FWIW, my wife still makes people nauseous in any EV she drives (eGolf or i3), but I don’t. It all comes down to exactly how precise you can be in modulating the throttle. Even minute changes can be felt by passengers, even if you don’t perceive it yourself.

I went for a ride with my friend in his S (Ludicrous mode) when Tesla changed the mapping of 1-pedal regen. He apologized profusely about how it behaved but I never got back in the car with him after that. Super nauseous.

Takes some getting used to, but be patient with yourself, maybe do some practice solo.

During my First Mile drive (mine should be here end of the month), I did notice that chassis bucking on bumps would make it very challenging to control the throttle because my foot is being lifted inadvertently from the throttle. That is definitely something I’ll need to get used to.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Thanks for the warning. I'm going on the 1st mile test drive tomorrow. I'll take a small brown paper bag. It really should be ok for me because people have been complaining about my driving regardless of the type of car I'm driving.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I'm curious about what percentage of owners this is actually an issue with?

There does tend to be a lot of things in cars that make people nauseous.

Sometimes its the fumes from the interior.
Sometimes its the AC
I've heard some reports of higher levels of CO2 when the recirc is on. Like someone complained about this with a Tesla
Then there is the high regen with EVs.

In the Tesla forums there was also complaints about ear pressure.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
FWIW, my wife still makes people nauseous in any EV she drives (eGolf or i3), but I don’t. It all comes down to exactly how precise you can be in modulating the throttle. Even minute changes can be felt by passengers, even if you don’t perceive it yourself.
Yeah it's definitely worse for passengers. But subjectively my wife and I both complain less about each others' driving in the Rivian than any other vehicle.

FWIW the i3 is the single worst EV I've ever driven in terms of motion sickness. I used to rent them from ReachNow all the time and my wife flat out refused to get in one after a while since the regen was so jerky.

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S,Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430, Passat VR6
Clubs

I have a Lucid and a Rivian on order. I get motion sickness and when I do I do not recover quickly. I am used to gliding up to a light. I have test driven both of them. I got to drive the Rivian on high regen. It was alien. I also drove the Lucid. I want to like the Rivian but I may be xxxxxx. From what I have read I can't imagine getting the Lucid. I didn't really like it. Looks like I may be out $300. I am worried that I wouldn't be able to adjust to the Rivian. Not good news but better to get it now then later.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Sponsored