Sponsored

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
As to the Camp Speaker I think its one of those pet idea kinds of things. Where someone has a desire for something, but hasn't done any market study to see if utilization rates would justify the cost.

I would love to hear about the backstory of how the camp speaker came into existence. It's one of those things that's quirky, and gives the vehicle some soul. But, I don't see myself using it very often aside from a few occasions either as music or a light source.

I do love the flashlight, and I wish they had two of them (or 4).
The sound quality is so bad I still bring my jbl flip Bluetooth speaker.
Hmm, I’m suprised so many are against the speaker. I for one things its super innovative and useful. It’s always charged, locked in, and ready to go. Great for the beach camping and parks.
I love having the speaker, not because it's my primary speaker, but because, as RJ said in the video, it's always there and always charged. I think the sound quality is decent, definitely a completely different tone than the meridian system in the truck itself. Max volume is really low for such a large speaker. A smaller one with slightly less battery and bass would likely be a better value.

The only better use for that space, IMO, would be for valuables (wallet while at the beach?) or something like a small handgun and you could require a PIN on the dash to unlock.

I hope they keep the speaker and flashlight (s) in all models as part of their brand, but an option to swap the speaker for a lockable tray would certainly be welcome.
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
So RAN priority is opening up North to South network on east and west coast then going east to west across the US...
Really wish they would prioritize some of the charging deserts like Montana, Dakotas, northern Minnesota. Most of the charging stations there are 1 CCS 50 kW chargers. Ugh.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Really wish they would prioritize some of the charging deserts like Montana, Dakotas, northern Minnesota. Most of the charging stations there are 1 CCS 50 kW chargers. Ugh.
In my experience the old rural 50kW chargers often don't work. Even when owned by the local utility.

Unfortunately EV owners in remote areas away from the interstate don't need level 3 charging. Unless tourism is a driver of demand for chargers there is little reason to install level 3.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
In my experience the old rural 50kW chargers often don't work. Even when owned by the local utility.

Unfortunately EV owners in remote areas away from the interstate don't need level 3 charging. Unless tourism is a driver of demand for chargers there is little reason to install level 3.
I’d be ok with DCFC on the interstates near some smaller cities. Like Duluth and Fargo. Nothing over 50 kW currently. And as you started they don’t work a lot of the times.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

It started charging. It lasted for 5-10 seconds then stopped. If it even looked it weird, it stopped. That is not successfully charging.

FWIW - I've been told by multiple people (not counting RJ in this interview, or CS) that the wireless charging pad is known to be largely non-functional and is in the process of being redesigned. They have called it, "terrible", "frustrating", and "embarrassing".

Personally, I have no idea how it was shipped.
"...Have no idea it was shipped."
Same thing, but a bigger fail with the PTC - how they could be nearly a couple of years into the launch of the product without a reliable tonneau cover (manual or powered) at all.

Last edited:

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
aww shit RJ and I have the same watch/band. We're like brothers now
He and I have several of the same flannels (Roark if anyone wants to join the club) and my wife gives me no end of shit for it

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I love having the speaker, not because it's my primary speaker, but because, as RJ said in the video, it's always there and always charged. I think the sound quality is decent, definitely a completely different tone than the meridian system in the truck itself. Max volume is really low for such a large speaker. A smaller one with slightly less battery and bass would likely be a better value.

The only better use for that space, IMO, would be for valuables (wallet while at the beach?) or something like a small handgun and you could require a PIN on the dash to unlock.

I hope they keep the speaker and flashlight (s) in all models as part of their brand, but an option to swap the speaker for a lockable tray would certainly be welcome.
+1 on this. I have probably a dozen speakers and flashlights, but they all have the same problem - when I need one, I either didn't bring it, forgot where I left it, or didn't charge it.

A speaker and flashlight that always live in the same place, are always charged, and almost certainly with me? Perfect for my ADHD ass.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Yes, it’s confirmed the RANs will eventually open to non-Rivians.
I just wish that there were enough RAN chargers that the RAN network was open to me. There are 5 or more designated sites in Arizona, but little-to-no obvious progress, from what I hear. I wonder if the stated requirement that each RAN is run from renewable energy (or perhaps offset by purchasing renewable energy somewhere) is a hindrance in bringing them online.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I just wish that there were enough RAN chargers that the RAN network was open to me. There are 5 or more designated sites in Arizona, but little-to-no obvious progress, from what I hear. I wonder if the stated requirement that each RAN is run from renewable energy (or perhaps offset by purchasing renewable energy somewhere) is a hindrance in bringing them online.
I don’t think so. I think it’s primarily the permitting/build out process that’s taking longer than expected.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I've wanted a place to put my registration and insurance info besides under the seat. I mean with no glove box where is suppose to go?
The center console cubby has an elastic band on the back wall. I have mine in an envelope using that band to keep it in place for easy access.

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
Couple of thoughts I had after watching/listening:
  • I'll happily take the storage cubby option with no glove box; generally if the vehicle is near me, I prefer to use its sound system as it is so much better. If I have to carry the speaker somewhere, I probably don't need music anyways in that locale (ie quiet beach)
  • For RAN deployment, I think continuing to fill in gaps and in alignment with the 'adventure' ethos would be a better investment (e.g. many underserved areas for DCFC in Utah and the mountainous 'outdoorsy' areas of south-east BC) rather than just adding more along Interstates (which was my takeaway from RJs answer)
  • There weren't that many specifics on the R2 program, but a couple items caught my eye:
    • 'not making announcement/reveal soon, but maybe in the next year'
    • He discussed size a bit and implied it will be smaller than the R1 series, which I think most of us expected, but nice for confirmation. So I'm guessing something along the lines of Tacoma sized and capability (ie less payload, tow capacity)
    • They want to keep the 'adventurous' branding for it, and have made some key decisions to ensure it aligns, but obviously won't be as complicated as R1 - so in my mind the suspension will be much simpler, and probably no gear tunnel either.
    • Wants to lower the BOM significantly - however, I don't interpret this to mean that the price will be significantly lower than R1, more that they are aiming for better margins on R2. He didn't indicate pricing relative to R1 other than mentioning target for BOM. But IIRC, Clare (CFO) had a recent interview where she mentioned upper end of R2 will be just below lowest end of R1.
Since I am still waiting for a Dual/Max, and given my location unlikely to get it until H1 or even H2 of 2024, I was kinda wondering about just holding out for a few more years for the R2, but after the confirmation of the smaller size/capability, I don't think the R2 will work to tow our current trailer, so will stick with R1.

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

I'd be open to a different option than the camp speaker. I think I've taken it out once since delivery last summer and that was when I was going through the introduction walk through with the Rivian delivery guide.

Sacagawea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper, Harley
The center console cubby has an elastic band on the back wall. I have mine in an envelope using that band to keep it in place for easy access.
Guess part of my thought process was what was their thought process? I mean, who doesn't carry registration and insurance verification in their vehicles? They seem to think out of the box on what drivers/adventurers would need, i.e. flashlight in door, truck bed attachments... Good to hear there is at least an elastic band. Glad you have things in an envelope which should help. Spills and things happen around our center console though, not our glove box. Think I'll make my envelope plastic.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Then how do you explain the inexpensive imported air compressors that let you set a digital cutoff and are dead nuts accurate?

I use two of these for airing up my GX470 (have not tried it with R1S - yet):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W1W2V9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Guessing it doesn't show it while actively inflating, or the rate of inflation isn't nearly as significant so you don't have the opportunity to have much of a pressure differential. Either way I take what I said back because my R1T shows pressures while the R1S does NOT while it's inflating to a setpoint. It's a lot easier to be more accurate for the display when your inflation hose is less than two feet from the end versus 20+ that the Rivian uses.

If I remember tonight I can take a video comparing the two. It's possible that my R1T missed an update since I have that panel removed from the truck most of the time and don't always remember to put it back in before doing the update. The R1S seems to need to cycle on/off fewer times even with the same air hose.
Sponsored

Last edited: