Looking to purchase your Launch Edition

LoneStar

Reaction score
Vehicles
son's CrossTrek beast, awaiting my R1T L.E.
Occupation
Engineer
Contemplating >$25k to buy-out a L.E. reservation may sound crazy but new Ford Bronco "First Editions" selling for around $90-100k on eBay right now. That's a $30-40k premium give or take. I've heard upwards of $50k premiums paid for the earliest offerings. I see no reason why a new Ford Bronco has more appeal than the very first legit EV Truck or full-size SUV produced in the entire world.

Its quite possible that taking $25k is under-selling the value of an R1 Launch Edition (T or S) once they get out there in greater numbers in regular people's hands. They'll be plastered all over YouTube and Instagram (more so than already are).

Also, the language on Rivian's order configurator states clearly that you can change "model" of Launch Edition and retain your L.E. reservation. So it doesn't matter if current order is for T or S since the holder can make that switch and preserve their L.E. placeholder.

Config LE changes.PNG
Advertisement

Last edited:

sevengroove

Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lexus RX 350
Contemplating >$25k to buy-out a L.E. reservation may sound crazy but new Ford Bronco "First Editions" selling for around $90-100k on eBay right now. That's a $30-40k premium give or take. I've heard upwards of $50k premiums paid for the earliest offerings. I see no reason why a new Ford Bronco has more appeal than the very first legit EV Truck or full-size SUV produced in the entire world.

Its quite possible that taking $25k is under-selling the value of an R1 Launch Edition (T or S) once they get out there in greater numbers in regular people's hands. They'll be plastered all over YouTube and Instagram (more so than already are).

Also, the language on Rivian's order configurator states clearly that you can change "model" of Launch Edition and retain your L.E. reservation. So it doesn't matter if current order is for T or S since the holder can make that switch and preserve their L.E. placeholder.

Config LE changes.PNG
I've been following this thread out of curiosity and been trying to make sense of this huge gap between what pre-order holders want for their reservations ($25k+) and what most folks are willing to offer ($5k or less). It seems to me that the key difference between the examples folks cite - such as the Bronco selling for a $30k premium - is that those vehicles are available to the purchaser today. Pay the premium, get the product. Instant gratification.

Our R1 reservations, on the other hand, have a vague delivery timeframe which are still at risk of getting pushed out further. I fully expect that come 2022, when guides actually start reaching out to get orders finalized, we might have buyers actually willing to pay much more than $5k because they will have more surety around the order and will have to wait less time for that gratification as well. If you really want to profit off of this, take ownership of your R1 and list it on eBay just like that Bronco to see the premium skyrocket to well over $25k. Especially because the kind of folks who would even consider paying that sort of premium do not like to wait. As it stands, though, I don't think the reservations are worth that much.

OP
OP
toade

toade

Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
I'm in the same boat with my R1S-LE - Socal delivery - April-May. Anyone interested DM me if you want to talk it through

Very excited about the truck, but still in a place where 25k+ may be more exciting...
Pretty sure many many people would sell at $25k. Hell, I'd sell my newly purchased reservation for $25k. But $25k is a pipe dream unless you are getting your car in January. Then maybe you could find a buyer. Any sales that have taken place have been $5k or less, and we haven't seen a single offer over $5k.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Reaction score
First Name
Axel
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Old Volvo
Is the pre-order even transferable to another buyer or are people willing to pay taxes twice? )Pre order holder buys and pays taxes then sells to person willing to pay ADM for a now user vehicle and also has to pay taxes…)

bd5400

Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX 460; Tesla Model X/3; R1T Preorder Holder
Is the pre-order even transferable to another buyer or are people willing to pay taxes twice? )Pre order holder buys and pays taxes then sells to person willing to pay ADM for a now user vehicle and also has to pay taxes…)
It isn't an official "transfer" through Rivian. People are changing all of the contact information in their Rivian account to the new person's information, prior to any purchase occurring. No double taxes.

SoCol

First Name
Cole
Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Operations
Pretty sure many many people would sell at $25k. Hell, I'd sell my newly purchased reservation for $25k. But $25k is a pipe dream unless you are getting your car in January. Then maybe you could find a buyer. Any sales that have taken place have been $5k or less, and we haven't seen a single offer over $5k.
Oh well, then guess I'll have to take the R1S LE as a consolation prize 😃

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Reaction score
First Name
Axel
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Old Volvo
It isn't an official "transfer" through Rivian. People are changing all of the contact information in their Rivian account to the new person's information, prior to any purchase occurring. No double taxes.
Surprised that Rivian is letting this happen. But I guess a client is a client so why not.

OP
OP
toade

toade

Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
That is not correct. There's at least one offer of $10K from last week. Not sure if he found a seller yet.
That was $10k for a truck if he could take delivery of it in 2021. Which clearly is not going to happen.

LoneStar

Reaction score
Vehicles
son's CrossTrek beast, awaiting my R1T L.E.
Occupation
Engineer
I agree this is all (mostly) speculative talk until real people (non-employees) start taking deliveries in early 2022. I do believe however there will be a big appetite from wealthy impatient people who want the "newest Tesla thing" on the block. I'm sticking with my gut that getting $20-25k for buy-out to change a L.E. reservation holder info or reselling in open marketplace near or over $100k will be happening in droves during the first 3 quarters of next year.

The motivation in the "bidder community" should be stronger towards paying up to switch-out the L.E. reservation holder info so they can be first registered owner and enjoy whatever tax incentives emerge next year. Otherwise the (forum) buyer is paying the upfront sales tax & registration fees, basically negating the tax credit they'll enjoy once 2022 tax season arrives. If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd rather negotiate a reservation buy-out transfer than pay upwards of $100k to purchase a registered used vehicle with no tax credits.

Last edited:

Diddy123

Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
That was $10k for a truck if he could take delivery of it in 2021. Which clearly is not going to happen.
Also completely untrue. I'll quote the only two posts from the member, in their entirety for you:

Post #1 in its entirety:
Hi i'm looking to pickup a launch edition as early as possible and willing to pay for it.. the earlier the more i'm willing to pay.

if anyone is interested lets work something out.

either reply to this thread or direct message me.

you can also email me at

[email protected]

Thanks

Greg
Post #2 in its entirety:
i'll move the bid to 10k to start..
Also please show me where you made the caveat that your statement was only applicable to deliveries beyond 2021, not that it matters due to the point made above.

Any sales that have taken place have been $5k or less, and we haven't seen a single offer over $5k.
You can try and change the facts to fit your narrative, but expect to be called out on it.

CL16

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicles
Xc90
You also need to consider the motivation behind the transfer. Most of you still want and plan to take your order which is why you have these higher numbers in mind. Most of the action for transfers are people who’s situation has changed within the last three years that they’ve been waiting. They either have multiple reservations or may not be able to/want to take delivery for whatever reason. You still have to pay for the thing at the end of the day and if you don’t want to/can’t, $5k-$10k for the reservation is a win win for both parties.

SonsofOdin

First Name
Odin
Reaction score
First Name
Odin
Vehicles
R1T
march-april delivery for launch edition r1t, haven't gotten any bites at 30k, lowering to 15k.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
You also need to consider the motivation behind the transfer. Most of you still want and plan to take your order which is why you have these higher numbers in mind. Most of the action for transfers are people who’s situation has changed within the last three years that they’ve been waiting. They either have multiple reservations or may not be able to/want to take delivery for whatever reason. You still have to pay for the thing at the end of the day and if you don’t want to/can’t, $5k-$10k for the reservation is a win win for both parties.
This is key. Personally most of the people I've interacted with on here have reservations already, but if they're looking for a LE, it's really to only to get access to launch green or move up their delivery date slightly. For those people that value generally isn't significant, and they're best paired with people who are frustrated by Rivian for whatever reason (for example, they need a new truck before July).

Someone else hit on this, but there's also a question of trust on both parties. Particularly with users popping up looking to sell for a large value but haven't established a relationship with people on here. I'd be more likely to send say.... SevenGroove funds given his post history than someone I'm totally unfamiliar with. Plus, I could always track them down in Seattle. :D

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
march-april delivery for launch edition r1t, haven't gotten any bites at 30k, lowering to 15k.
You're not going to get a bite from me for anywhere near that, but I am originally from Idaho. With the delivery window poll I was to see there are (were?) a few Idaho R1T reservations and they weren't pushed back as if you live in Hawaii. I really hope someone (the State?) gets some DCFC up the to the middle of the State to open up highway 95 and McCall.

Advertisement

Advertisement