Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

.Oh, and significant changes to configuration and/or delivery location could have a major impact on delivery timing. I think that was their somewhat veiled 'caveat emptor' meaning that if you assume someone else's reservation, you may not get what you think you're getting.
This seems to be the biggest caveat to me: I live in Oregon, and it appears that April/May is when we will see trucks here based on what I've seen. If I buy someone's reservation in a march location, I don't think I get that truck in march if it's coming to Oregon.
Sponsored

CL16

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc90
This seems to be the biggest caveat to me: I live in Oregon, and it appears that April/May is when we will see trucks here based on what I've seen. If I buy someone's reservation in a march location, I don't think I get that truck in march if it's coming to Oregon.
I think you’re right as geography seems to be playing into the delivery order in addition to your preorder date

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I think it's correct for Rivian to uphold their side of the deal (build a car) and the customer to do their part: pay for it. By placing the $1000, the customer has the asset/equity/value of that reservation – Rivian has "sold" that value to the customer. So long as there's no "asterisks" in the wording of the reservation, the customer has something of value in a free market where supply and demand will find a fair price.
I'm not selling my reservation for $5K, but I'd like to see the "market" on a trading site. I'd list my reservation details and see what price it fetches. If someone pays $25K, I'll take the money. So that's my market: R1T LE with ETA in Jan-Feb, offered at $25K, bid $5K. : )
p.s. I'll take payment in bitcoin or $RIVN stock. : )

Reactions: Rad

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
IMHO, Karma would be Rivian canceling the reservation.
Sorry to jump in late. From the CS responses, I think Rivian doesn't want to face the significant cancellation rate that Tesla did; so they have an economic incentive to let people trade on their reservations.

I hope I would never trade on my LE, but this makes sense from Rivian's and consumers' perspective. If things became absurd, my opinion is Rivian should step in and squash it - it just wouldn't be consistent with their faux good times vibe to have tens of thousands of dollars in a single LE transfer.

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I'd seriously consider a $25k offer to transfer my R1T LE reservation currently stated as May-June delivery - but that may be regional dependent being here in So. California.

Not sure how such a transaction would go logistically in terms of "trust" for pre-payment since nobody would edit their own reservation without payment - or funds held in some kind of locked escrow.

I'd use the money to amp-up a down payment on my early F-150 Lightning reservation. Expecting that vehicle around the same mid-2022 timeframe.

Reactions: Rad

SoCol

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Operations
I'd seriously consider a $25k offer to transfer my R1T LE reservation currently stated as May-June delivery - but that may be regional dependent being here in So. California.

Not sure how such a transaction would go logistically in terms of "trust" for pre-payment since nobody would edit their own reservation without payment - or funds held in some kind of locked escrow.

I'd use the money to amp-up a down payment on my early F-150 Lightning reservation. Expecting that vehicle around the same mid-2022 timeframe.
I'm in the same boat with my R1S-LE - Socal delivery - April-May. Anyone interested DM me if you want to talk it through

Very excited about the truck, but still in a place where 25k+ may be more exciting...

Last edited:

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Contemplating >$25k to buy-out a L.E. reservation may sound crazy but new Ford Bronco "First Editions" selling for around $90-100k on eBay right now. That's a $30-40k premium give or take. I've heard upwards of $50k premiums paid for the earliest offerings. I see no reason why a new Ford Bronco has more appeal than the very first legit EV Truck or full-size SUV produced in the entire world.

Its quite possible that taking $25k is under-selling the value of an R1 Launch Edition (T or S) once they get out there in greater numbers in regular people's hands. They'll be plastered all over YouTube and Instagram (more so than already are).

Also, the language on Rivian's order configurator states clearly that you can change "model" of Launch Edition and retain your L.E. reservation. So it doesn't matter if current order is for T or S since the holder can make that switch and preserve their L.E. placeholder.

Rivian R1T R1S Looking to purchase your Launch Edition Config LE changes.PNG

Last edited:

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Contemplating >$25k to buy-out a L.E. reservation may sound crazy but new Ford Bronco "First Editions" selling for around $90-100k on eBay right now. That's a $30-40k premium give or take. I've heard upwards of $50k premiums paid for the earliest offerings. I see no reason why a new Ford Bronco has more appeal than the very first legit EV Truck or full-size SUV produced in the entire world.

Its quite possible that taking $25k is under-selling the value of an R1 Launch Edition (T or S) once they get out there in greater numbers in regular people's hands. They'll be plastered all over YouTube and Instagram (more so than already are).

Also, the language on Rivian's order configurator states clearly that you can change "model" of Launch Edition and retain your L.E. reservation. So it doesn't matter if current order is for T or S since the holder can make that switch and preserve their L.E. placeholder.

Config LE changes.PNG
I've been following this thread out of curiosity and been trying to make sense of this huge gap between what pre-order holders want for their reservations ($25k+) and what most folks are willing to offer ($5k or less). It seems to me that the key difference between the examples folks cite - such as the Bronco selling for a $30k premium - is that those vehicles are available to the purchaser today. Pay the premium, get the product. Instant gratification.

Our R1 reservations, on the other hand, have a vague delivery timeframe which are still at risk of getting pushed out further. I fully expect that come 2022, when guides actually start reaching out to get orders finalized, we might have buyers actually willing to pay much more than $5k because they will have more surety around the order and will have to wait less time for that gratification as well. If you really want to profit off of this, take ownership of your R1 and list it on eBay just like that Bronco to see the premium skyrocket to well over $25k. Especially because the kind of folks who would even consider paying that sort of premium do not like to wait. As it stands, though, I don't think the reservations are worth that much.

OP
OP
toade

toade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
I'm in the same boat with my R1S-LE - Socal delivery - April-May. Anyone interested DM me if you want to talk it through

Very excited about the truck, but still in a place where 25k+ may be more exciting...
Pretty sure many many people would sell at $25k. Hell, I'd sell my newly purchased reservation for $25k. But $25k is a pipe dream unless you are getting your car in January. Then maybe you could find a buyer. Any sales that have taken place have been $5k or less, and we haven't seen a single offer over $5k.

Sponsored

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Is the pre-order even transferable to another buyer or are people willing to pay taxes twice? )Pre order holder buys and pays taxes then sells to person willing to pay ADM for a now user vehicle and also has to pay taxes…)

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Is the pre-order even transferable to another buyer or are people willing to pay taxes twice? )Pre order holder buys and pays taxes then sells to person willing to pay ADM for a now user vehicle and also has to pay taxes…)
It isn't an official "transfer" through Rivian. People are changing all of the contact information in their Rivian account to the new person's information, prior to any purchase occurring. No double taxes.

SoCol

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Operations
Pretty sure many many people would sell at $25k. Hell, I'd sell my newly purchased reservation for $25k. But $25k is a pipe dream unless you are getting your car in January. Then maybe you could find a buyer. Any sales that have taken place have been $5k or less, and we haven't seen a single offer over $5k.
Oh well, then guess I'll have to take the R1S LE as a consolation prize ?

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

It isn't an official "transfer" through Rivian. People are changing all of the contact information in their Rivian account to the new person's information, prior to any purchase occurring. No double taxes.
Surprised that Rivian is letting this happen. But I guess a client is a client so why not.
Sponsored