Looking to purchase your Launch Edition

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
FWIW, Capstone and I made a deal we were both happy with. He made a few grand and I end up similar economically since I can choose launch green and free upgraded wheels.

If there really were buyers for more than $5k, I’d be shocked. That said, I can also see a delivered R1T going for 100k to some rich guy who just wants it given all the hype.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Going to my first drive event in an R1T today!! Anyone wanting to throw their hat in the ring and make an offer on my R1S LE April-May delivery reservation before I look/touch/feel the thing and that experience goes into my calculus - DM me!

PS @atR1S @endress14 - delivery window trades do have value in the equation ?
I'll give you 25,000 Turkish lira. ?

SoCol

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Operations
Socal first mile Test Drive event was incredible - highly recommend - these trucks are fantastic. Comfortable, capable, fast, innovative. I'm now even more excited about owning a R1S LE. Would be tough to give that up after today...

That said - back to the calculus; 100k for a limited edition luxury 7 seater fully capable SUV with a potentially very economical cost of ownership doesn't seem like a high price. Think well equipped navigator, grand wagoneer, model X, x7, etc... Shoot people are paying close to that for a bronco after markups.... Just saying. Crazy times we are living in

Last edited:

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
people are paying close to that for a bronco after markups.... Just saying. Crazy times we are living in
Those are not people... They're idiots. But desperation hinders brain cells. Ford really treated their Bronco reservation holders unfairly. I'm a day-one Bronco reservation holder myself. Still have the reservation just because or in case, even though I'm almost certain I won't buy one at this point. Maybe if they keep screwing with us, I'll have a place in line for an all-electric Bronco in a few years? I think it's sad how Ford Corporate gave in to their big national dealer chains for all the allocations. Small dealerships and their customers who already had deals in place can't get a Bronco now for some time. All while they're flowing to the big dealerships and being placed out front with $10K to $50K additional markup on them depending on location, trim and options.

Anyway, didn't want to derail the thread. I'm just frustrated and upset for all my fellow Bronco people.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Makes sense and I might just do that. I'm sitting on an early reservation (#1533) and I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to see/touch/drive the R1T before having to decide to buy? I'm sure it is going to be great, but as it is now it doesn't check all the boxes for me.

Alternatively, it'd be hard to turn down a big fat wad of cash to transfer the reservation. I As it sits now, there's plenty of uncertainties around whether it is a long-term truck that I'll hold on to and perhaps I should wait until something that checks all the boxes for me comes along.

First-world problems, right? How fortunate we are to have to even wrestle with such matters.
Yeah right? We are all pretty lucky if these are our concerns.

If I were you I would take delivery. I know here in Los Angeles I could flip my Rivian for 20k over sticker next year (probably more). You are in Boulder? You know there are a lot of people who will want a Rivian and not want to wait 2 years to get one.

Not only is there Rivian scarcity - there is an overall new car shortage. There are lots of cars that are in high demand. The market is nuts and there are a lot of rich people with no issue overpaying for cars.

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

Cam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
I personally think we are going to be in for a surprise when these early trucks/SUV's start hitting ebay and similar sites. My intuition tells me the people who sold an LE for 5k might be kicking themselves.

I have an april-may R1S LE and will be watching the resale market very closely. Range Rovers and G-wagon are still pushing 25-100k over MSRP in some markets. I predict Rivian's will pull over 100k all through next year. I dont think 130k-150k is out of the question... Time will tell.

turbome

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I personally think we are going to be in for a surprise when these early trucks/SUV's start hitting ebay and similar sites. My intuition tells me the people who sold an LE for 5k might be kicking themselves.

I have an april-may R1S LE and will be watching the resale market very closely. Range Rovers and G-wagon are still pushing 25-100k over MSRP in some markets. I predict Rivian's will pull over 100k all through next year. I dont think 130k-150k is out of the question... Time will tell.
I agree with CAM 100%. The car market is insane right now and dealers are scrambling to even get cars to sell. I have friends get offered more then they paid new 2 years ago at dealers but they can't sell because then they have to over pay to replace what they sold. I guess $5k is the easiest $4k you can make for your $1000 deposit but I too think the R1T will command a huge premium once the trucks actually hit the streets. I have my first mile drive this Friday and have a delivery window of March to April 2021 so getting close!

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I agree with CAM 100%. The car market is insane right now and dealers are scrambling to even get cars to sell. I have friends get offered more then they paid new 2 years ago at dealers but they can't sell because then they have to over pay to replace what they sold. I guess $5k is the easiest $4k you can make for your $1000 deposit but I too think the R1T will command a huge premium once the trucks actually hit the streets. I have my first mile drive this Friday and have a delivery window of March to April 2021 so getting close!
The R1S will garner significantly more premium than the truck I think. There are market comps to support it garnering $125k (Escalade), whereas the R1T would be out on its own at that pricing (not that it won't). Basically, the MSRP should have been $10k+ more (instead of $2.5k) for the R1S than the R1T to begin with and the aftermarket will reflect this.

Socalriv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Am looking for a Rivian to replace my totaled Tesla, am willing to purchase an asap delivery if the numbers work. Lmk!

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
The struggle is real. My Lexus RX350 had an MSRP of $47k from about 2.5 years ago. I just checked KBB and they are offering almost $46k for it. After squaring off my remaining lease payments and buyout I'd walk away with roughly $15k. At those levels of profit I'm seriously considering whether I can get by on rideshare and car rentals for the next six months until my R1S arrives.

Sponsored

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Last chance for anyone that may want a first production Cadillac Lyriq Debut Edition. You can PM here if interested. The Ford Lightning spot was taken by a family member.

I received notice today that I would need to finalize my Cadillac Lyriq Debut Edition by the end of the day, Dec. 17th, or lose it. From my understanding, reservations were sold out in under 20 minutes and there won't be that many in production.

Cadillac Reservation-.jpg
Would you share what you sold your Lightning reservation for? I have a first hour reservation, weighing now what I do with it. If there is demand, I might opt to sell it since my truck is in good condition and I don’t mind waiting.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
Would you share what you sold your Lightning reservation for? I have a first hour reservation, weighing now what I do with it. If there is demand, I might opt to sell it since my truck is in good condition and I don’t mind waiting.
My son-in-law has a much later Lightning reservation, so I'm going to swap places with him. I didn't sell my reservation, but I never had any offers either. I decided to take a chance Rivian will deliver first. This way, I'll be able to test his Lightning when he takes delivery and see which I prefer to keep. More than likely it'll be the Rivian I'll keep, but I won't cancel his later reservation until I make sure. I've waited way too long now, to end up making another bad decision.......My first bad decision was waiting this long. Big mistake, being I've needed a vehicle since August. My current GMC Sierra has over 320,000 miles.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
How do you value a reservation that has no determinable date upon which it will yield a vehicle? Doesn't a Lightning reservation mean you could take delivery anytime between Spring/Summer 2022 and sometime in 2024? Also, as I understand it, reservations are also tied to your local dealer, so the buyer would have to pick it up at that dealer?

Maybe I haven't understood the Ford process well enough.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

How do you value a reservation that has no determinable date upon which it will yield a vehicle? Doesn't a Lightning reservation mean you could take delivery anytime between Spring/Summer 2022 and sometime in 2024? Also, as I understand it, reservations are also tied to your local dealer, so the buyer would have to pick it up at that dealer?

Maybe I haven't understood the Ford process well enough.
At this point everything is rumors. Haven’t gotten any info from Ford directly regarding the matter. I emailed my dealer this AM for info, though I’m expecting little to come of it.

Much the same could be said of Rivian regarding the ordering, reservation, and delivery process. LE orders have just been given a 1-2 month window, but the rest of us are still left wondering. And no one should be explicitly counting on those delivery estimates, anyway, just look at the people that had October and November deliveries.

I expect I could receive a Lightning in Spring/Summer 2022 whereas my R1S is probably mid-late 2023.

Reactions: Rad

turbome

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
At this point everything is rumors. Haven’t gotten any info from Ford directly regarding the matter. I emailed my dealer this AM for info, though I’m expecting little to come of it.

Much the same could be said of Rivian regarding the ordering, reservation, and delivery process. LE orders have just been given a 1-2 month window, but the rest of us are still left wondering. And no one should be explicitly counting on those delivery estimates, anyway, just look at the people that had October and November deliveries.

I expect I could receive a Lightning in Spring/Summer 2022 whereas my R1S is probably mid-late 2023.
Not sure if the Lightning is any different but I know Ford dealers mess around with the reservations depending on the dealer. My buddy already has his Bronco because he deals with a dealer in Vegas who he knows well even though we are in SoCal. I know others that had Bronco reservations prior to his but mysteriously they still have not received theirs. Same thing happened with my other friend and the new Corvette until he finally gave up. The dealers put friends, relatives, higher paying customers, etc. in front of other reservation holders. I'm not saying all dealers do this but some definately do. My opinion is this is one of the good things with the "new" way cars are sold direct to customers without the dealers like Rivian and Tesla are doing.
Sponsored