Sponsored

Has anybody lost their underbody shield yet?

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Wait until Rivian starts a 2nd shift with new assembly technicians that start around $17 per hour.
Sponsored

chickp

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Audi A7, 1977 Datsun 280z, 2022 Ioniq 5
Occupation
Network Engineer

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Wait until Rivian starts a 2nd shift with new assembly technicians that start around $17 per hour.
As someone who has yet to take delivery, I'm hopeful, and confident at present, that Rivian will do things such as to mitigate risk:
  • Train 2nd shift workers on the 1st shift, side by side until starting the 2nd shift line and moving personnel to the 2nd shift.
  • Temporarily move experienced 1st shift workers to 2nd shift until they "certify" the new person and ultimately the line.
  • Pay particular attention to the shift change. Anyone familiar with multiple shift production processes will tell you "work in process" between shifts presents the best opportunity for failure

It is no secret that how fast and efficiently they can manage this production increase while retaining or even increasing quality will be a major test.

NOTE: I found this job posting showing the current rate is $20 per hour. I don't know anything about the labor market in Normal, how that relates to Rivian's ability to find and retain production workers, or whether this is a living wage.

I can only hope that Rivian is very competitive as I recall the company said in their IPO that a significant risk factor (IOW) was unionization.

I also hope that as Rivian scales and becomes more stable that benefits to production workers, and not just management or shareholders (like me) will increase dramatically.

I'm sure I can't imagine the challenges involved in starting a large, capital and labor intensive company.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Reading this thread, I am glad Rivian made the decision to manufacture and deliver the first 1000 or so R1Ts to their employees under NDAs and post a million videos about how they stress tested these vehicles across multiple terrains in different weather conditions, so the can work out their manufacturing process and to make sure this off road vehicle is assembled and capable of doing all the fancy off road stuff. šŸ¤£:clap:

Sponsored

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
I know the OP didn't have the re-enforced underbody. Did everyone else having issues with missing or loose fasteners also have the standard underbody panels?

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...
Driving on the highway and heard a loud bang. Had no idea what it was because the road was clear. But honestly thought nothing of it because this car makes a lot of random noises.

Next day I'm driving and I hear a lot of wind noise coming from under the truck. I pull over and take a look at the bottom of the vehicle and half of the underbody shield is ripped off. I called Rivian and they're going to call me back to tell me if it is safe to continue driving. I'm super bummed about this. I'm currently driving on the highway trying to find the cover on the side of the road. Few minor issues that I reported which haven't been resolved yet but, everything else has been great, nothing this severe.

I did see a post about somebody saying the screws were all loose and it completely slipped my mind. I didn't even check before I started driving to vehicle.

I'm assuming some wind may have gotten under the shield and just ripped it off.

Screenshot_20220617-115037.png

Thanks for sharing!

If/when I get my R1T, I plan to go through the whole vehicle and double-check the bolts/nuts per the issues I have seen on the forums. It sounds like some blue Loctite is in order for the undercover bolts in addition to just tightening them.

sherold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S3, VW Atlas
I know the OP didn't have the re-enforced underbody. Did everyone else having issues with missing or loose fasteners also have the standard underbody panels?
Nope, I have the RUB and had loose screws on delivery.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Can someone post good pictures of the RUS and regular one? There have also been reports of people paying the $2000 for the RUS and getting the plastic ā€œstockerā€.

Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Ioman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Pulled over today on a road trip from Portland Or to Sun Valley, to reset the infotainment system in our R1S (was getting muffled audio - reset didnā€™t work) and my wife noticed a panel hanging from under the vehicle, it was a small shield plate, screw completely missing. So glad it didnā€™t come off and hit the car behind us or that we lost it. Totally unacceptable.

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
Pulled over today on a road trip from Portland Or to Sun Valley, to reset the infotainment system in our R1S (was getting muffled audio - reset didnā€™t work) and my wife noticed a panel hanging from under the vehicle, it was a small shield plate, screw completely missing. So glad it didnā€™t come off and hit the car behind us or that we lost it. Totally unacceptable.
I'm getting the muffled audio issue, did you resolve it?