Underbody Shield - Worth it ?

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
For me it comes down to whether the additional skid plates are similar to other oem upgraded skid plates, which typically don't seem to be a bit thin and not up to handling too much use. I really want to see if the upgrade provides decent additional protection, especially between the wheels and outboard of the battery in the rocker panel area (where breakover angle on rocks or ledges is an issue).
Sponsored

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

After watching the Munro video of the R1T underbody, I'm inclined to believe that the "carbon fiber" layer that is under the battery is not actually the carbon fiber that we're used to seeing on high end sports and race cars known for it's weight benefits, but instead a type of carbon thermoplastic aka "Tegris". This is still very strong but doesn't have nearly as much tendency to shatter and break when it is pushed past it's stress and flex limits. The whole point of it is that it's a lot more flexible and wear resistant than regular carbon fiber. I'm also not a materials scientist, I've just seen the two different products explained before, and from what I saw in the video, it looked similar to Tegris and similar carbon composite materials.
Interesting, Tegris is the material my bombproof Tumi “Tegra“ roll-aboard bag is made from.

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
If you’ve taken any of your previous non-modified vehicles in the same areas and they’ve survived, then I’d say the upgraded plates are not necessary.
Ok, but what if you've peeled the plastic panel off a Titan in sand dunes? I don't rock crawl, but I've borked a stock plastic skid plate. I don't off-road to the extreme but I do off-road and I'm just as prone to stupidity as the next man. I'm on the fence and wonder if I need the skid plate.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I have a R1S LE on order, delivery expected "April-May" 2022

Is the Underbody Shield included with the LE as a no cost option ??

Is the Underbody Shield helpful for my SUV which will see the occasional dirt road and high snow banks ??

Will this hurt range (due to weight) or help range (due to aerodynamics) ??

Thanks !
Without a clear side-by-side comparison of an R1 with and without the "Reinforced Underbody Shield" option we really have very little information to base our $2k decision on.

Not sure why Rivian is apparently so hesitant to share details with us? I've been hoping for the Rivian reviewers and "teardowners" to show us the difference. Unfortunately, those groups keep falling in love with the vehicles instead of "doing their jobs!". :CWL:

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
If the R1S deliveries mimic the R1T then by the time you talk to your guide they will have a vehicle matching what you have so any change will be a delay.

I have a June/July R1S window, I made the change to drop the additional shielding yesterday. I would be surprised at this point if it will impact my delivery negatively.

My personal take is they made 2 changes to the off-road configuration that seems like it was to reduce the number of that option selected. Speculation is to simplify manufacturing to limit options but if that was the case, why would they make it optional when originally it was included.
Yeah. I'm not worried about being able to remove it. I suspect the shift was related to bumper parts somehow. They assemble the packs themselves already and probably already had the include or not include shield step completely ironed out. They might not have the front bumper sections sans tow hook punchouts or some other thing worked out yet, and the change allowed them to punt figuring it out all the way to the start of building Explore package R1's.

At his point, I want my R1S and I want it as fast as possible so I'm not rocking the boat;) I'm "patiently" (not really) awaiting my guide connection next week:)

Sponsored

rogunenode

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I definitely want to know what the reinforced underbody shield is and what it covers. My model 3 performance has a lift and aftermarket front skid plate and it's seen some abuse with my tendency to unlock my wannabe rally racer at times and the amount of rock we have in my area and fs roads I drive. Battery replacement will be very expensive and a PITA to deal with, so extra protection is worth it for me.

I'll be looking into the possibility of custom rock sliders. If Rivian's underbody solution isn't very good, something can likely be fab'd for that as well.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

For me it’s a no brainer. I spent $1700 on a full belly skid for my wrangler, and it’s been heavily used. Granted I’m not taking the Rivian over the rubicon, but when I’m near places like Moab or Sand Hallow I know me…….I’ll have to do something dumb.
Bingo. Based on the state of the skids on my 4Runner, more underbody protection will be essential, especially with a 135" wheelbase.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Looks like it is actually 140 lbs.
Ok, that’s a new label I don’t think we have seen before. All previous have been LE/20”, etc with a payload of 1,419 lbs

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
After now seeing several payload labels for the R1T LE and 1 Adventure, here’s what payload is looking like.

R1T w/20” AT/off-road/spare = 1,324 lbs
R1T w/20” AT/no off-road/spare = 1,464 lbs
R1T w/20” AT/no off-road/no spare = 1,559 lbs.

Based on this information, spare tire & kit = 95 lbs, off-road underbody = 140 lbs.

My guess would be the Explore trim will save or add an additional 205 lbs to payload rating bringing that trim to ~1,764 lbs payload.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

So the new truck on cars and bids has some good pictures finally "Or at least the first time I'm seeing good pics" of the non off-road upgrade. Some people have been wondering if it will affect mileage looking at this I think the weight of it would be the same as the gain you would get from much better aero without the off-road plates.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KVqzkZVl/2022-rivian-r1t-launch-edition

Rivian R1T R1S Underbody Shield - Worth it ? 1651248842989

Rivian R1T R1S Underbody Shield - Worth it ? 1651248854494

Rivian R1T R1S Underbody Shield - Worth it ? 1651248867599

Rivian R1T R1S Underbody Shield - Worth it ? 1651248898812
Rivian R1T R1S Underbody Shield - Worth it ? 1651248880748

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

So the new truck on cars and bids has some good pictures finally "Or at least the first time I'm seeing good pics" of the non off-road upgrade. Some people have been wondering if it will affect mileage looking at this I think the weight of it would be the same as the gain you would get from much better aero without the off-road plates.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KVqzkZVl/2022-rivian-r1t-launch-edition

1651248842989.png

1651248854494.png

1651248867599.png

1651248898812.png
1651248880748.png
I think you're right on the improved aero of the vehicle with the OR package. Also, looks way better with it

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
I believe that truck is just missing the plastic panel that should be there, whether or not it has the offroad upgrade.
I would agree. Perhaps another on-road owner can confirm.

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, 64 Mustang
Uhhhhh - so my truck says it doesn't have the off road package but I have the carbon fiber shielding and whatnot that this truck is missing. Very confused.
Sponsored