Sponsored

Has anybody lost their underbody shield yet?

OP
OP

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Wow. Unbelievable. I can't believe that got past quality control.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Hopefully there weren’t any motorcyclists behind you. (Or vehicles for that matter). I smell a recall/safety inspection.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Assuming you didn't unknowing hit a land mine, holy cow that is some bad build quality.

Sponsored

cjust2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adv Limestone
Occupation
IT Analyst
One side of me wants to catch everything that could go wrong before it does. The other is so mad that consumers would ever be put in the position to solve this at all.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

SO here is my thing

They are pausing R1S for Quality Control Issues, Roll out to Employees and Supply Chain items. I get that, but why make us wait when we have QA issues like these? At this point I dont know if waiting is doing any good. I think really it just displays their Un-readiness for mass adoption of their vehicles which is fine, its growing pains of a new company which is bound to happen.

I just hope going forward their efforts are not in vein and the reason for delays are worth it becasue as far as I can tell they are not at this point. Although who knows what quality would be if they "RUSHED" it lol. I can only imagine.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I have a punch list of about 10 items. Mostly small cosmetic items with the exception of the windshield washers not working. Rivian called me back about this issue and said it's not a safety issue and I can continue driving the vehicle. They said they will include it as part of the service plan for all the other items.

It sounds like it's going to be a while for them to get all the parts for the other issues I reported along with scheduling service, and picking up the truck to take it to the service center 200 miles away.

I'm hoping having this void in the bottom of the vehicle doesn't lead to a vortex just blowing road debris up into there. Thankfully I'm in Florida and have no intention of off-roading.
kinda surprised they are saying you can continue to drive it. there are cables exposed now, based on the color i'd say those high voltage battery wires. and there are some other cables and mechanical components exposed now as well. debris, rock, dirt is definitely going to get in there and id be concerned about a rock or something damaging something. id minimize driving it to be safe. the shield is under there for a reason.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I reported along with scheduling service, and picking up the truck to take it to the service center 200 miles away.
This incident seems to be more evidence to the cold reality that Rivian needs to improve their QA and probably shouldn’t be delivering trucks to people 200 miles from a SC.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Looks like I am missing at least one fastener and a few loose bolts myself.

Rivian R1T R1S Has anybody lost their underbody shield yet? PXL_20220622_171854710

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Today the rest of the underbody shield fell off while driving on the highway. It appears the bolts little by little started to unscrew themselves.

What's shocking is when I did check some of the bolts still connected, they didn't have any type of loctite. I can't believe metal bolts threading into the metal frame/chassis had no form of loctite to prevent them from backing out.

RivianR1TinSFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Today the rest of the underbody shield fell off while driving on the highway. It appears the bolts little by little started to unscrew themselves.

What's shocking is when I did check some of the bolts still connected, they didn't have any type of loctite. I can't believe metal bolts threading into the metal frame/chassis had no form of loctite to prevent them from backing out.
That's too bad. Hopefully a quick fix. Whereabouts in FL are you?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T

Are most car bolts loctite? Every car I’ve worked on did seem to have any loctite.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Well, now I know how I'm spending my Saturday morning.

FWIW while cleaning it Wednesday, I noticed a loose piece below the driver's side door. I had to pressure wash the mud/dirt off the piece so I could see the fittings to reattach... Using the 40° nozzle of course.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
So the bolt I shared was put in sideways and the bolt hole was stripped. I had to loosen the entire panel to get the hole free and clear but still could not thread in straight. Will leave that to Rivian to rethread.

I found three bolts backed out, and two more finger loose.

Since it will be "awhile" for service I retightened all of them but only a bit with a screwdriver (not wrench). Most were had a lot of play, but will let Rivian torque them down to whatever is appropriate.

I'm confident they will back out soon, some threadlock is probably appropriate.

I would encourage people to visually inspect the underbody when delivered and then check for loose bolts soon after delivery.

Rivian R1T R1S Has anybody lost their underbody shield yet? PXL_20220625_125014416
Sponsored