Guards Red Car

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Porsche Taycan, Tesla Model Y, Mini
Occupation
Physician
I have a R1S LE on order, delivery expected "April-May" 2022

Is the Underbody Shield included with the LE as a no cost option ??

Is the Underbody Shield helpful for my SUV which will see the occasional dirt road and high snow banks ??

Will this hurt range (due to weight) or help range (due to aerodynamics) ??

Thanks !
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If you’ve taken any of your previous non-modified vehicles in the same areas and they’ve survived, then I’d say the upgraded plates are not necessary.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Congrats on being close to delivery!

The shield costs extra even on LE models, have you gone into the configurator lately?

The underbody protection changes the look and shape “not at all” so no aerodynamic effect expected. (Not seen any data, though)

Have not seen any data on the impact of the extra weight on range, would expect a sl negative impact.

Forum members have been trying to get screen shots of R1T vehicle weight capacity with and without the underbody protection.

Enough R1T’s delivered so we should be able to get this. Would expect reduced cargo weight capacity, I don’t remember seeing definitive screen shots yet. Some hints it might be a 200-300 lb impact, but may also include being with / without a spare tire

Rivian says the underbody shield is for “extreme off-road conditions”, so agree w previous post, you wouldn’t benefit from it on “dirt roads and snowbanks”

Wish I had firmer answers!

Last edited:

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Thoughts on this option from a future resale perspective? I will never use it (I don't do heavy off-roading) but I live in Colorado. I could definitely see this as a must have option for future buyers especially in my area.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I compared my truck with another forum member without the shield. All it is is maybe a 1/8 steel sheet that covers the battery pack area. I will say it may keep the carbon area of the exterior of the pack from getting gouged on a rock or other object.

Sponsored

Delusions of Adequacy

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GX460, Rivian R1T
Just took delivery of my LE without the off-road upgrade (looks like Rivian calls the underbody "On-Road" for my R1T) and according to the payload sticker my truck is 45 lbs. lighter without the extra protection. Payload limit is 1464 for me. I do have the spare 20" AT tire so not sure if that extra 80 lbs. is figured in. Pics of the door stickers attached.
Rivian R1T R1S Underbody Shield - Worth it ? Payload
Rivian R1T R1S Underbody Shield - Worth it ? weight
Rivian R1T R1S Underbody Shield - Worth it ? on road

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Just took delivery of my LE without the off-road upgrade (looks like Rivian calls the underbody "On-Road" for my R1T) and according to the payload sticker my truck is 45 lbs. lighter without the extra protection. Payload limit is 1464 for me. I do have the spare 20" AT tire so not sure if that extra 80 lbs. is figured in. Pics of the door stickers attached.
Payload.jpg
weight.jpg
on road.jpg
Thanks for sharing, When did you order?

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thoughts on this option from a future resale perspective? I will never use it (I don't do heavy off-roading) but I live in Colorado. I could definitely see this as a must have option for future buyers especially in my area.
I can see it having a slight benefit to resale but nothing crazy. It would be another story if you could visually see the difference from the exterior but it appears everything is identical on the surface. The extra capability is nice but I can’t say I’m ever going to put my $80k vehicle in a position where it would be a life saver. If I want to learn how to rock crawl it’ll be on something far cheaper and easy to replace.

I’d think the powered tonneau would have more of an impact to the resale.

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Am no expert, but don't see the demand for EVs and EV Truck/SUV dwindling any time soon, so don't imagine it'd be a huge issue reselling one without the underbody shield vs. with.

Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
If you’re not stupid, you probably will not need it rock crawling unless you like big rock patches. Where they’re really nice is for road debris and forest service roads you’re tempted to go faster on. I once blew up my front diff from a smaller wayward stone on a 40 mph FS road.

I guess no pumpkins to be blown up with an electric car but still, it’s always where you least expect something to happen that you find yourself running over weird stuff.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Payload.jpg
weight.jpg
on road.jpg
Thank you so much! It’s only taken over three years to get this number from someone greatly appreciate it! Amazing, only 45 lbs of added weight.

Last edited:

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
If you’re not stupid, you probably will not need it rock crawling unless you like big rock patches. Where they’re really nice is for road debris and forest service roads you’re tempted to go faster on. I once blew up my front diff from a smaller wayward stone on a 40 mph FS road.

I guess no pumpkins to be blown up with an electric car but still, it’s always where you least expect something to happen that you find yourself running over weird stuff.
And even with that, there's still the base carbon fiber shield, which should be enough for most loose debris.

I drove over an unavoidable chunk of 4x4 wood at nearly full speed on the highway in my Model S, which has a titanium shield. It made a terrifying noise as it dragged along the battery pack, but we got home, and there was no real damage. You could see a slight mark along the length of the vehicle, but it was basically a dirty scratch.

I think the main reason for the reinforced plate is to handle 7000lbs resting on the point of an immovable boulder, which is unlikely to happen while at speed.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Thank you so much! It’s only taken over three years to get this number from someone greatly appreciate it! Amazing, only 45 lbs of added weight.
Seriously. I was thinking about dropping the shield to save weight but at 45 lbs, I'll probably keep it.