First Mile: Unsure

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I left…I’m finding a difficult word for it, underwhelmed? I’m trying to figure out of my experience is unique to the circumstance/location or reality.

It looks exactly how I was expecting it to look. The size was exactly what I was expecting. The features all there. The colors were surprising. The drive? ….

I spent about an hour with it in LA traffic. It’s hard to get excited about the car in traffic. Especially after spending nearly 2 hours in traffic to get there. Handling? Idk…it made right hand turns from a stop ok. Braking? Great from 20 mph.. Ride quality? It’s LA…it was bumpy even on soft. Size of the vehicle? Traffic + construction, it felt tight at some sections. Acceleration? It’s stupid fast.

It left me with more questions than it answered and left feeling like maybe I should have skipped the first mile and just taken delivery. Now I’m going to be fretting over it until my car comes

Did anyone else do their first mile at the Venice hub? What was your take on it? I’ve been waiting for this car for 3 years..did I overhype myself?
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I did my first drive in Atlanta and thought it was great. They had a good route with a mix of city and highway. Not much traffic.

If you were stuck in traffic the whole time then I could see that not really helping you get a feel for the way it drives.

Now that I’ve taken delivery, I can say it commutes really well…. But that isn’t really what you’re trying to test on a first drive.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I left…I’m finding a difficult word for it, underwhelmed? I’m trying to figure out of my experience is unique to the circumstance/location or reality.

It looks exactly how I was expecting it to look. The size was exactly what I was expecting. The features all there. The colors were surprising. The drive? ….

I spent about an hour with it in LA traffic. It’s hard to get excited about the car in traffic. Especially after spending nearly 2 hours in traffic to get there. Handling? Idk…it made right hand turns from a stop ok. Braking? Great from 20 mph.. Ride quality? It’s LA…it was bumpy even on soft. Size of the vehicle? Traffic + construction, it felt tight at some sections. Acceleration? It’s stupid fast.

It left me with more questions than it answered and left feeling like maybe I should have skipped the first mile and just taken delivery. Now I’m going to be fretting over it until my car comes

Did anyone else do their first mile at the Venice hub? What was your take on it? I’ve been waiting for this car for 3 years..did I overhype myself?
I think it was just the traffic and driving around in Venice. I have had a model S for 6 years, still one of my favorite vehicles. I did my first mile at Agua Dolce back in December. Drove some off road and some on the runway up there. To me it seems like the R1 is the best of my Model S and Jeep GC combined. I am really looking forward to getting the R1S and take it on some canyon roads and some desert trails.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Driving in Venice it's impossible to have fun. I was lucky they brought one to my house so I could drive it in my neighborhood and then get on the 210 north and open it up.

But I didn't get to get any dirt under the tires until I took delivery. It's exceeded my expectations so far.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Personally, LA traffic makes me want to never drive again, anywhere, for any reason so... try and get a drive in a different environment?

I drove at first mile at Sears Point in Sonoma County. It was a delight on the demo circuit Rivian set up. That was 8 months ago and I think about it often - positively

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I felt the same way after finishing my R1T test drive in May. I think part of your let down is very common with BEV’s. They simply don’t have a “soul” that an ICE powered vehicle has. This is especially true if you are a car enthusiast.

Stellantis is aware of this and engineers are struggling to find the right sounds to add to their next generation of Dodge BEV muscle cars that will debut in 2024. The 2023 ICE powered Challenger is rumored to go out with bang (over 900 HP). That platform is ancient, almost 15 years old now, and is a cash cow for Stellantis.

For example, let’s say you set up a test drive for both an R1T and a Wrangler 392 back to back. Besides the supercar acceleration of the R1T the truck is going to be an underwhelming driving experience.

The 392 Hemi Wrangler on the other hand is going to leave you grinning from ear to ear every time you stomp on the fun pedal and hear that glorious American V8 rumble.

Rivian R1T R1S First Mile: Unsure 84E88A23-38C7-4F2A-AF82-015BC33F6CAC

Last edited:

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I live in LA and they brought me a truck to drive in my neighborhood but literally only gave me 15 minutes. I’d have killed for an hour!

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

I test drove from Venice. I get that you’re saying, but my takeaway was that it would be a well mannered car in the city. That being said knowing what it’s capable of I wasn’t worried too much and now after having my own for a few weeks i couldn’t be happier (especially considering how much gas is).

On a different note I do love the sound of a well tuned engine but since when does big vroom vroom sound equal soul? I think my R1t has plenty of soul in its own way…

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
As much as I love our Model Y I think of it as an appliance. It gets me from point A to point B.

ScottnAZ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T (White,BM,22’s), 1966 C10 (SB,BBW,SBC327)
Occupation
Design/Build Remodel Contractor
Clubs

Is this your 1st EV? What car are you coming from?

I can totally understand the frustration/anxiety/excitement while sitting in LA traffic for 2 hours on the way to the drive, and then more traffic during the test drive. I get it, honestly.

Don’t give up on it just yet. I have really enjoyed my 1st week with the truck. My previous car was the Tesla X, which I absolutely loved for the 4 years of ownership. Just last night I told my wife that I think I like the R1T better. (To be fair, I suppose it could also be due to the fact I see Tesla’s all over town these days 🤷‍♂️).

I don’t know the answer to this, but I wonder if you can arrange another drive? I’d have to believe you’re not the 1st one to be underwhelmed after a test drive in the Venice area. Personally, I’d give the feedback to the Hub and ask for another drive; see if it can be arranged in another area, or on a less busy day. Although, it’s LA, there aren’t any “less busy” days……..

Sponsored

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
Did a test drive today on Long Island. Pull out on Long Island Expressway and traffic. I should've double checked prior to them showing up but annoyed. Still had a great experience and the guy was early so we went pretty close to 1 hr. driving. Time flies though and couldn't test Driver+, said it was disabled and I didn't test the feature to really check. Acceleration was bananas though. 2nd test drive with the R1T despite ordering the R1S. They sent me an email in November that I jumped on and another the last couple of weeks for todays ride.

I only wish they brought the Limestone since he knew what I ordered and they had one there but it could've been for a customer. LA Silver with the 21's is what showed up and always after they leave I have a bunch of questions that I wished I had asked...

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I’ve driven my R1T in LA traffic and I agree, wasn’t pleasant. But I’ve never found a ride that was pleasant in LA traffic except maybe the limo from my wedding to LAX.
I’m pleased that my first mile was at Sonoma and I have no regrets. Even with a stuck tonneau, a bad hood latch an a few other minor problems.
YMMV

I did my first drive in Atlanta and thought it was great. They had a good route with a mix of city and highway. Not much traffic.

If you were stuck in traffic the whole time then I could see that not really helping you get a feel for the way it drives.

Now that I’ve taken delivery, I can say it commutes really well…. But that isn’t really what you’re trying to test on a first drive.

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
I felt the same way after finishing my R1T test drive in May. I think part of your let down is very common with BEV’s. They simply don’t have a “soul” that an ICE powered vehicle has. This is especially true if you are a car enthusiast.

Stellantis is aware of this and engineers are struggling to find the right sounds to add to their next generation of Dodge BEV muscle cars that will debut in 2024.
Ugh the fake sounds need to die a quick and horrible death, I will never purchase a car that makes a "noise". MachE sounds stupid, I believe Audi does the same stupid shit.
If Dodge wants to do it right, don't waste a single penny on some fake noise, spend the time on the motors, battery, chassis, power system, hell spend that money on THE BEST window switch.

Nothing is going to sound like a V8 with a performance cam or the scream of a V12, the sound of a turbo spoiling etc. But that doesn't mean they should make "a sound".

Last edited:

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Ugh the fake sounds need to die a quick and horrible death, I will never purchase a car that makes a "noise". MachE sounds stupid, I believe Audi does the same stupid shit.
If Dodge wants to do it right, don't waste a single penny on some fake noise, spend the time on the motors, battery, chassis, power system, hell spend that money on THE BEST window switch.

Nothing is going to sound like a V8 with a performer cam or the scream of a V12, the sound of a turbo spoiling etc. But that doesn't mean they should make "a sound".
I think the sounds will stick around for a while, if anything to count as a "feature" when OEMs are looking to add fluff to feature lists. And both EVs and non EVs offer it. But I agree to the layperson its seems to me like one of those things focus groups say they like so it tests well but few actual buyers would be swayed by it.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The 392 Hemi Wrangler on the other hand is going to leave you grinning from ear to ear every time you stomp on the fun pedal and hear that glorious American V8 rumble.
It'd leave me wondering why it needs to make so much damn noise for such slow acceleration and terrible handling.
Sponsored