Sponsored

Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
will it be sold as an accessory for more permanent capacity and/or perhaps Rivian will rent these batteries out for owners who need it for one-time use?
That's a real interesting idea about renting the aux battery. Cost and logistics would obviously be large factors. Like where are the available aux batteries stored, do they need to be shipped, does a pro need to install them, how long does the process take meaning how much time in advance do you need to reserve one, is there a min/max time to rent them, etc.

What's also interesting about this idea of renting is the possibility of a third option. A Rivian owner decides not to initially get an aux battery as they see potential in renting them later on. After a few rentals, out comes the calculator. Owner determines the frequency of needing the aux battery, and factoring in less cargo space and increased weight of the aux battery, it now makes sense to buy one. So instead of renting an aux battery, will Rivian (or OEM?) provide a means to buy an aux battery *after* the initial purchase.
Sponsored

HMBxplore

First Name
Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004.5 Dodge Ram
I was thinking about cheating with a little Honda generator as emergency backup for my week long trips into the Mojave or Death Valley... not sure I’d want to give up the cargo space for that huge auxiliary battery. Now if I were towing a travel trailer out to Yellowstone or something.... that’s where that auxiliary battery will shine. I think I’d like to have some type of solar setup regardless. Maybe on a roof rack, or hard shell RTT

RocketFarmer

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Naval Officer
I'm curious if those connections exist on the current trucks and IF they software controls them. I would love to be able to connect a generator as a range extender for towing trips. The charge time, when towing, is unacceptable at best. Towing a car from Ohio to Nebraska I stopped 5 times and added 6hrs of charging to my trip that normally takes 12.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm curious if those connections exist on the current trucks and IF they software controls them. I would love to be able to connect a generator as a range extender for towing trips. The charge time, when towing, is unacceptable at best. Towing a car from Ohio to Nebraska I stopped 5 times and added 6hrs of charging to my trip that normally takes 12.
There's no unused connections on the battery. Doing anything like you suggest is likely to void any warranty involved.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
My main concern is whether this add-on option will be required to reach the 400 mile range. I have always been assuming that the vehicle will be rated at 400 mile range with the 185khw pack and no other add-one. I hope that is still true.

I second the concerns about this being more semi-permanent than a “jerry can”, taking up a big piece of that already small truck bed, and requiring a forklift to move it in and out. There may be a target market for this, but it would not include yours truly.
Nice coffee cup, where'd you find that?

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I think this is the future of less expensive EV's.

Most people don't need more than 50 miles of range 99% of the time. It is wasteful to buy (and drag around) excess battery capacity that is only needed a few times a year. But people are not interested in buying a car that won't get the job done 100% of the time.

So you buy a car with 50 miles of range. And then a few times a year when you want to go on a road trip you rent a big battery.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

Most people don't need more than 50 miles of range 99% of the time. It is wasteful to buy (and drag around) excess battery capacity that is only needed a few times a year. But people are not interested in buying a car that won't get the job done 100% of the time.

So you buy a car with 50 miles of range. And then a few times a year when you want to go on a road trip you rent a big battery.
We can just make this way cheaper and easier and have plug in hybrids with 50-100 miles of range. Zero emission commutes for a large percentage of the population and zero range anxiety or charging issues on longer trips.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
We can just make this way cheaper and easier and have plug in hybrids with 50-100 miles of range. Zero emission commutes for a large percentage of the population and zero range anxiety or charging issues on longer trips.
Buying, servicing, and dragging around a gas engine that you only need once a year is also wasteful.

A rented, add-on, range extending generator that could temporarily turn your car into a hybrid would work though.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

I just don’t think there is a big enough market for ~50 mile range EVs that require the planning and effort to go rent extra range. If there was a market for that, you’d already see ~50 mile range EVs everywhere because we already have an easy way to rent more range…Hertz.

However, having extended range batteries for things like towing that you could buy or rent would be a great way to help minimize the impact of range loss.

Ronimal

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wagoneer
People that expect this to be an easily-removable or portable solution are not being realistic. It takes a very heavy battery to achieve meaningful range in an EV. This is not the same as tossing a jug of gas in the truck bed.

A quick google search found this 5kwh portable battery weighs 180lbs.

https://www.bluettipower.com/products/bluetti-ep500pro-home-battery-backup.

…That’s good for about 10 miles of range in an R1T.
Sponsored