Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I think people underestimate the impact of wind. I just did a trip to the beach, starting at 750ft and ending at 0. I achieved only 1.9 in Conserve Low on the way there, despite going downhill, due to 15-20mph sustained headwinds (gusts 25-30). On the way home, I achieved 2.31 in AP Low, despite going uphill, due to 10-15mpg tail winds.
Sponsored

Timdb82

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LG/FE, Lightning Lariat ER, 2011 Tundra TRD
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I’m right there with you on the range/efficiency. My average since taking delivery sits at 2.06, 5k miles, with only the occasional heavy acceleration.

Finally took it in for service to have it checked out and the tech made it sound like I’m right in the middle of their expected efficiency. Even with my 5 mile/day vampire drain. Told me nothing was wrong with the truck.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my R1T, but at the same time I have no idea how people are posting these efficiency/range numbers. I’m lucky to have 50 miles of range left at the end of a trip when the nav says I should arrive with 80, and this is city driving with the Regen on.

Im in Texas, but it’s hard to believe that it’s just the heat.

I'm with you two - 20" AT's here and 5000 miles, I struggle to get to 2.0 mi/KWhr. I've resigned myself to just getting about 1.8. I've been considering putting 20" all-season tires on, but it's hard to justify given how competent the stock all terrains are both on and off road.

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
Hmm interesting reading through this thread. I too am with Sgt Beavis/Butthead, getting solid range estimates and mileage. Even better when drafting behind a semi using highway assist. Truck has a tick over 5,000 miles... in 3 months :)

I just finished a trip back to Denver from Tucson, AZ. 887 miles with a lot of up and down (Tucson -> Show Low -> ABQ -> Denver), and overall climb from 2600ft in Tucson to 5280ft in Denver. I got in the 3's when doing big downhill sections, but overall not bad. On the way down to Tucson, I got amazing mileage, around 2.45-2.5 mi/kwh. Here's what I observed on the route back:

Rivian R1T R1S R1T's range is so impressive, even on 20" tires. Averaged 2.38 mi/kWh on 400 mile road trip IMG_9109

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Hmm interesting reading through this thread. I too am with Sgt Beavis/Butthead, getting solid range estimates and mileage. Even better when drafting behind a semi using highway assist.

I just finished a trip back to Denver from Tucson, AZ. 887 miles with a lot of up and down (Tucson -> Show Low -> ABQ -> Denver), and overall climb from 2600ft in Tucson to 5280ft in Denver. Here's what I observed:

IMG_9109.jpeg
What was the wind? Seems like you had a little bit of push from behind.

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
What was the wind? Seems like you had a little bit of push from behind.
I actually mostly had headwind on the route back. I wasn't trying to hypermile it, but I could definitely hear and see the wind coming towards me on Tuesday. Local conditions from Tuesday along the drive points (driving north) show predominantly S, ESE, and SE winds around 10-15 mph.

Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Rivian R1T R1S R1T's range is so impressive, even on 20" tires. Averaged 2.38 mi/kWh on 400 mile road trip F83203F2-B567-4A54-BE12-4CC608CA6A5E

My recent trip from Bay Area to vegas. Two charges (Bakersfield and Barstow). Had two bicycles in the bed.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I think people underestimate the impact of wind. I just did a trip to the beach, starting at 750ft and ending at 0. I achieved only 1.9 in Conserve Low on the way there, despite going downhill, due to 15-20mph sustained headwinds (gusts 25-30). On the way home, I achieved 2.31 in AP Low, despite going uphill, due to 10-15mpg tail winds.
Sheesh. Can't wait to go on a road trip that is mostly flat. I live in a very hilly area - have to do 600 ft. elevation gain/loss coming to/from home no matter where I go (800 ft. to anywhere but the very nearest restaurant/grocery store.) And so far, all of my road trips (plus the one this coming weekend) have involved going over mountain passes and/or towing a big/heavy trailer. My long-term average rating is ~1.5.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Sheesh. Can't wait to go on a road trip that is mostly flat. I live in a very hilly area - have to do 600 ft. elevation gain/loss coming to/from home no matter where I go (800 ft. to anywhere but the very nearest restaurant/grocery store.) And so far, all of my road trips (plus the one this coming weekend) have involved going over mountain passes and/or towing a big/heavy trailer. My long-term average rating is ~1.5.
Assuming a round trip to capture both sides of those elevation changes, they should not be affecting your efficiency that much (that number would be indicative of you driving exclusively uphill). Downhill doesn't 100% offset uphill, because regen isn't 100% efficient, but I'd say it's probably 85-90%+ efficient, not 50%. I.e. Driving 10 miles flat vs. going up 800ft and back down, the efficiency achieved would only be slightly less for the latter.

There is something else contributing far more than elevation changes to your results. Is your driving consisting mostly of short trips?

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I actually mostly had headwind on the route back. I wasn't trying to hypermile it, but I could definitely hear and see the wind coming towards me on Tuesday. Local conditions from Tuesday along the drive points (driving north) show predominantly S, ESE, and SE winds around 10-15 mph.
That seems like you had tailwinds if they were out of the S and you were driving N? Don't think you mentioned what drive mode, but perhaps you were also in Conserve? 2.22 in any mode is definitely not achievable at over 70mph with a 10-15mph headwind uphill, of that I am certain, because I achieved 1.94 in Conserve with a similar headwind going slightly downhill at lower speeds.

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
That seems like you had tailwinds if they were out of the S and you were driving N? Don't think you mentioned what drive mode, but perhaps you were also in Conserve? 2.22 in any mode is definitely not achievable at over 70mph with a 10-15mph headwind uphill, of that I am certain, because I achieved 1.94 in Conserve with a similar headwind going slightly downhill at lower speeds.
I was driving north, wind direction was south/SE/ESE (i.e. out of the north/northwest, the prevailing pattern for NM/Colorado winds across the Rockies) so I was driving against wind, generally. I was in conserve mode in low (not lowest). Stock tire pressure around 48 on all 4.

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I was driving north, wind direction was south/SE/ESE (i.e. out of the north/northwest, the prevailing pattern for NM/Colorado winds across the Rockies) so I was driving against wind, generally. I was in conserve mode in low (not lowest). Stock tire pressure around 48 on all 4.
Got it. Yeah, that's not physically possible, so something was messing up the trip calculation (which it's been known to do). Typically average speed can be slightly understated vs. overstated (because it's time based and not speed based), so this would be the first that's happened.

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
Got it. Yeah, that's not physically possible, so something was messing up the trip calculation (which it's been known to do). Typically average speed can be slightly understated vs. overstated (because it's time based and not speed based), so this would be the first that's happened.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just stating what I observed and what resulted from the trip. The average speed was likely clocked average from ABQ to Denver, as Tucson to Show was more variable. The portion from ABQ to Denver is almost entirely a straight line on I-25 for 500 miles with a big gradient of elevation changes (yet overall elevation delta is only like 30ft).

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
That said, I have noticed the range estimate is way off from the start. Unsure how it uses previous mileage estimates to calculate it.

For example, punching in a trip from Trinidad, CO to Westminster, CO shows about 215 miles. On a full charge of 293 mi in Conserve, Rivian says I won’t make it. I’m assuming it knows the elevation changes and tries to calculate for that. I say “remove stations, go anyways” and it slowly climbs from “you’re definitely not going to make it” to “oh wait you’ll have 80 miles left now, oopsies” (or something like that 🙂).

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just stating what I observed and what resulted from the trip. The average speed was likely clocked average from ABQ to Denver, as Tucson to Show was more variable. The portion from ABQ to Denver is almost entirely a straight line on I-25 for 500 miles with a big gradient of elevation changes (yet overall elevation delta is only like 30ft).
Yeah, not trying to sound accusatory or combative, just thinking out loud.

ABQ to Denver is only about 450mi but the tripmeter is showing nearly 900, so it's the full trip from Tucson that's being reported. I have heard reports of sometimes DCFC messes with the energy usage stat, which could underreport that figure and overstate the efficiency. Might be what happened.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Now I'm really curious what's going on with my truck (or me). My road trips thus far with similar speeds, I am averaging 1.75 - 1.95 at best, in conserve mode.
I have the same exact config as you. I was averaging same as you report here but found my air conditioner ran too cold and loud on auto. For the past week or so I have used the fan only or just had the HVAC off completely and now I'm up aroun 2.2-2.4 miles/kWh. This is very surprising to me. I would expect a big difference like that if it had been no HVAC vs heating but not AC.
Sponsored