Sponsored

Are we happy now?

ruawahoo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade and CX-5
Still will be gripey about no carplay until they OTA it in.
This may have to do more with limitations with Apple CarPlay. We bought a Hyundai Palisade a few months ago (before Rivian was on the radar). Nice wide screen on the center console. But CarPlay doesn’t take advantage of it because it’s screen is limited to a certain size. Hyundai Santa Cruz has the same issue. Apparently, Apple hasn’t caught up with the movement to accommodate larger screens wirelessly. I imagine this could be an OTA update/add-on once Apple updates CarPlay.

It could also be a licensing issue: why pay for car play when your customers’ iPhones can be controlled remotely by Siri through Bluetooth and you have a similar mapping program that runs natively on the larger screen?
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Apparently, Apple hasn’t caught up with the movement to accommodate larger screens wirelessly. I imagine this could be an OTA update/add-on once Apple updates CarPlay.
Obviously Apple has decided that the screen size required is limited to what they are willing to support and how dare you imply that you need more than they are willing to provide.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

This may have to do more with limitations with Apple CarPlay. We bought a Hyundai Palisade a few months ago (before Rivian was on the radar). Nice wide screen on the center console. But CarPlay doesn’t take advantage of it because it’s screen is limited to a certain size. Hyundai Santa Cruz has the same issue. Apparently, Apple hasn’t caught up with the movement to accommodate larger screens wirelessly. I imagine this could be an OTA update/add-on once Apple updates CarPlay.

It could also be a licensing issue: why pay for car play when your customers’ iPhones can be controlled remotely by Siri through Bluetooth and you have a similar mapping program that runs natively on the larger screen?
In the ID.4 you can run car play full screen (on a good size screen, but not Rivian big) OR you can run car play in a smaller window. Rivian could have opted for carplay to run in a window on just a portion of the screen if such size concerns were an issue.

I doubt it was a technical or cost issue. They simply don't want to cede control over to the 3rd party. (Despite that I would love to have it personally)

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
By all accounts, Rivian had nailed the R1T.

Now let’s see if they can mass produce and deliver it to customers (like me!) en masse

Sponsored

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
Nope, no date at all. All I was told in June was that since I removed my off road package that my delivery date would be later. I asked what I would be if I added it back on and was told she didn't know.

Granted, this was June and I feel they really had NO IDEA when they were going to be ready for deliveries but still.

My hope is I get my truck by the end of the year but at this point who knows.
I thought a few months ago you said you had an October delivery? I remember this as we both live in Simi and you will most likely have the truck before me, if I even get it at this point. I reached out to CS and had them have a guide supervisor call me. She had no information for me as my truck is not slated to be built yet and I have a 12/3/2018 reservation date, which really means nothing at this point. It really seems like it's color / options / location, and even that seems to be very blurry.

They also seem to apologize a lot and say things like "we are a new company" - well shoot, you hired smart people away from legacy auto, so I don't buy that as an excuse as well as "we know we need to communicate better" - Jeez, so just do it. I've heard that one for months now.

Something just doesn't feel right, and it's just a feeling with no inside knowledge behind it.

It just confuses me that they don't know when my color / interior / option combo will be built yet. Seems like something is wrong as I would think this would be on the schedule already. I mean, they have known my options for almost a year now as well as most of the LE holders!

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
By all accounts, Rivian had nailed the R1T.

Now let’s see if they can mass produce and deliver it to customers (like me!) en masse
Yep, that's the important thing. When can I get my truck. Doesn't matter how great it is if its not in my garage :)

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
I thought a few months ago you said you had an October delivery?
I wish... I've never been given a date :(

And i agree with most everything else you said, they had plenty of time to know what was being ordered and what not. Sure, they could have locked in orders earlier and gotten a much better understanding for production numbers (color, etc).

With my call with my guide it seems like i "locked" in my configuration but on the website it still lets me change anything so who knows.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
I wish... I've never been given a date :(

And i agree with most everything else you said, they had plenty of time to know what was being ordered and what not. Sure, they could have locked in orders earlier and gotten a much better understanding for production numbers (color, etc).

With my call with my guide it seems like i "locked" in my configuration but on the website it still lets me change anything so who knows.
Oh wow, that seems like working with a guide is a waste of time until they can give you a delivery. I was told this morning by the supervisor that when I get the guide email and speak with them they give me a delivery date. Interesting to know that it was not the case with you.

I do remember hearing that once a guide contacts you and goes over your build, even though you can still change things on the website, to NOT change your config as that screws things up. I don't remember where I read that, but somehow remember that being said.

I was actually looking forward to seeing you in an R1T in Simi next month, it's a shame that this is just pushing out past what I would consider reasonable at this time.

Are you concerned at all about the tax credit? To what I am reading if they push the new stuff through for 2022, we may not get the credit but if you take delivery this year still you are pretty much guaranteed $7500.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Happiness only comes from seeing an average Joe/Jane new owner on YouTube.
No blogger or social influencer or "hit that Like button and Subscribe" weenie or vaggie.

Sponsored

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Oh wow, that seems like working with a guide is a waste of time until they can give you a delivery. I was told this morning by the supervisor that when I get the guide email and speak with them they give me a delivery date. Interesting to know that it was not the case with you.

I do remember hearing that once a guide contacts you and goes over your build, even though you can still change things on the website, to NOT change your config as that screws things up.

Are you concerned at all about the tax credit? To what I am reading if they push the new stuff through for 2022, we may not get the credit but if you take delivery this year still you are pretty much guaranteed $7500.
My theory for a while is that all preorder holders got put in a lottery and selected for very early guide calls. This wasn't to actually get the truck and I think it was for that early trip and drive experience they did at the factory. I got asked a lot of questions about myself, my family, what I'm going to do with the truck etc. I have no proof but that's my theory.

My guide did mention that if I wanted to make any future changes to let her know before doing anything on the website. Not sure if it really matters or not though. Only so many configs that can be done and if i changed something they could just route the truck to someone else.

As for the tax credit it's on my mind but im not to concerned. Honestly as slow as the government works the new rules probably wouldn't come into effect till 23 or 24, if they change at all. As long as you get the truck this year or next I think the $7500 from the feds will be there no matter what.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Obviously Apple has decided that the screen size required is limited to what they are willing to support and how dare you imply that you need more than they are willing to provide.
Alternatively 'why should we take over the entire nice screen'. I believe Ford's Sync4 in the Mustang puts it in a nice window that you can slide around so you can still see some of their stuff.

OP
OP

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

OK People, enough with Car Play/AA. Rivian made their decision a long time ago and isn't about to change it until they get it in lots of customers' hands so let's not relitigate all the things that are known already and not changing (at least for now)

This was more of a what's still unknown question.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
CarPlay does support both custom resolutions and even "odd shaped" screens. Subaru, for example, is one of the few manufacturers who actually uses it. Most manufacturers don't put any effort into integrating CarPlay well -- even when they begrudgingly support it's most basic features. Another example is CarPlay supports a second screen stream, such as putting a second map view in the instrument cluster, as well as a next-turn information that can be displayed in a HUD. However, manufacturers don't implement the features that Apple supports. Once they get the "has CarPlay" checkbox checked, they don't seem to care about making it great.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Something just doesn't feel right, and it's just a feeling with no inside knowledge behind it.

It just confuses me that they don't know when my color / interior / option combo will be built yet. Seems like something is wrong as I would think this would be on the schedule already. I mean, they have known my options for almost a year now as well as most of the LE holders!
With all of the supply chain issues, it's well documented that the giant car companies have no idea when they will be back on schedule. Rivian said back in June and again recently that they are experiencing serious supply chain issues. Why would you expect them to be "on the schedule"?

“We’re definitely dealing with the chip shortage, as other OEMs have,” Fields said
Sponsored