Sponsored

Are we happy now?

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Google has no control over the automotive interface, only provides guidelines, and in fact has tools to enable the OEM to develop their own. In addition, you don't have to utilize GAS (Google Automotive Services) as part of your solution and are free to select your own map/navigation/location-based service provider.

I believe Rivian has stated they're not using Android, so it's most likely to be AGL (automotive grade linux) or possibly QNX.

HTML5/JS applications ran perfectly fine, and would perform even better on modern hardware. It sure as heck was better than QNX trying to use Flash-base UI at around the same time.
Is their a public API I can use to integrate youtube music into my widget/alexa/gadget/alarm clock/whatever today? Google being Google, I assume there's a reason they don't exist. They don't likely allow them in the same manner a more independent third party internet radio provider would.

HTML5/JS, fully ran locally, would be tolerable. Don't want that going over the LTE. Just look at Slack -- shows the downfalls of HTML :)
Sponsored

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Does the nav system have an option to avoid paved roads? ;-)

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
Is their a public API I can use to integrate youtube music into my widget/alexa/gadget/alarm clock/whatever today? Google being Google, I assume there's a reason they don't exist. They don't likely allow them in the same manner a more independent third party internet radio provider would.

HTML5/JS, fully ran locally, would be tolerable. Don't want that going over the LTE. Just look at Slack -- shows the downfalls of HTML :)
I don't know that any of the G branded services have much in the way public API's. I was focusing on the automotive side. With respect to Spotify - they don't enable access to the full set of features.

Don't make the mistake of blaming a specific technology (HTML5) rather than those responsible for the implementation. Apple was notorious for crippling apps that used webview that otherwise ran at higher performance in the browser. This was being done to limit app developers to deploy cross platform applications in order to limit Android adoption.

Programming languages and frameworks are just tools that programmers utilize - some do this better than others. Even if the coding is top notch, the architecture could suck and be the cause of performance bottlenecks. It's also possible Slack is being cheap with their hosting or doesn't have good scaling policies in place.

Back on topic - I'm not happy because my R1T isn't in my driveway right now!

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I don't know that any of the G branded services have much in the way public API's. I was focusing on the automotive side. With respect to Spotify - they don't enable access to the full set of features.

Don't make the mistake of blaming a specific technology (HTML5) rather than those responsible for the implementation. Apple was notorious for crippling apps that used webview that otherwise ran at higher performance in the browser. This was being done to limit app developers to deploy cross platform applications in order to limit Android adoption.

Programming languages and frameworks are just tools that programmers utilize - some do this better than others. Even if the coding is top notch, the architecture could suck and be the cause of performance bottlenecks. It's also possible Slack is being cheap with their hosting or doesn't have good scaling policies in place.

Back on topic - I'm not happy because my R1T isn't in my driveway right now!
Don't get me started on Slack. HTML. Slow. The entire windows/android client renders a webview! Hell, even web browser shortcuts work.

Sponsored

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Yeah all these test drives just told me everything I already knew. We also saw the first truck roll off the assembly line with several others behind it.
So who has gotten his truck? Seems like nobody yet. These test drives is just another diversion to delay actually delivering trucks to some of us who have now been waiting almost 3 years!
C'mon Scaringe, tell us the truth please. Will somebody actually get his/her truck this year?

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Nope. Not until I can see one in the wild, sit in one, drive one, obtain a real estimated delivery time, get clear answers on charging times/winter range impacts/dealer network/real charging station installations/towing specifics/UI details. Let alone take delivery.

Yet despite the lack of above basics, I was happy enough to put down a refundable deposit.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Although reviews are great, until I see actual people from this forum driving one I'm not going to get too excited. I feel like the members who reported Guide contacts in May/June have been very silent. Maybe they know something they can't share?

I am one of the earlier reservation holders in L.A and I can't believe many of us haven't been contacted.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
I feel like the members who reported Guide contacts in May/June have been very silent. Maybe they know something they can't share?
Just so you know, i talked to my guide on June 1 and i haven't heard anything else yet. I don't think people are hiding things. I think they aren't ready for real customer deliveries yet.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Just so you know, i talked to my guide on June 1 and i haven't heard anything else yet. I don't think people are hiding things. I think they aren't ready for real customer deliveries yet.
Thanks for sharing. Are you frustrated they haven't kept in contact with you? I don't see why they aren't ready for deliveries. They said they are producing vehicles.

Sponsored

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Thanks for sharing. Are you frustrated they haven't kept in contact with you? I don't see why they aren't ready for deliveries. They said they are producing vehicles.
I'm not frustrated per say but I wish more information was given out proactively. I've reached out to my guide a couple times about things and she has been VERY responsive and has always given me answers to questions she could give me. I also know she has a running list of questions that I still have open, though most of them have been answered by now.

I guess the only thing that has been frustrating is what the guide program was sold as from the beginning. The way I read it, and once you had a guide, I thought every week/biweek/month I would get an email with updates on either events, delivery timing, etc. More "insider" information that would have been nice to hear from them instead of the forums. Honestly, if I wasn't on this forum and had my guide contact I might not care anymore.

It would go a long way for Rivian in general to send out an weekly newsletter or something from the guides with links to Instagram posts, reviews, whatever, all in one place. I don't know if it's Covid, or the ramp up or what, but I expected more communication overall.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
I'm not frustrated per say but I wish more information was given out proactively. I've reached out to my guide a couple times about things and she has been VERY responsive and has always given me answers to questions she could give me. I also know she has a running list of questions that I still have open, though most of them have been answered by now.

I guess the only thing that has been frustrating is what the guide program was sold as from the beginning. The way I read it, and once you had a guide, I thought every week/biweek/month I would get an email with updates on either events, delivery timing, etc. More "insider" information that would have been nice to hear from them instead of the forums. Honestly, if I wasn't on this forum and had my guide contact I might not care anymore.

It would go a long way for Rivian in general to send out an weekly newsletter or something from the guides with links to Instagram posts, reviews, whatever, all in one place. I don't know if it's Covid, or the ramp up or what, but I expected more communication overall.

I agree. If I don't check this forum I won't hear about the majority of new information coming out. Their website doesn't get updated much. About the guide contacts, it just proves the whole thing in May/June was a rushed process just to meet their previous stated goal.

Did they give you a delivery date?

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Did they give you a delivery date?
Nope, no date at all. All I was told in June was that since I removed my off road package that my delivery date would be later. I asked what I would be if I added it back on and was told she didn't know.

Granted, this was June and I feel they really had NO IDEA when they were going to be ready for deliveries but still.

My hope is I get my truck by the end of the year but at this point who knows.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Nope, no date at all. All I was told in June was that since I removed my off road package that my delivery date would be later. I asked what I would be if I added it back on and was told she didn't know.

Granted, this was June and I feel they really had NO IDEA when they were going to be ready for deliveries but still.

My hope is I get my truck by the end of the year but at this point who knows.

I live nearby in Sierra Madre, and my reservation date is 12/8/2018. I also removed the off road package. What is your reservation date?

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I am overwhelmed by content of other people enjoying the heck out of the R1T (sorry R1S'ers) + manuals + official reviews, etc. Only thing for me is to actually get the dang thing now. Outside of known gripes, I'm generally curious if there's anything left for people to wonder about.
Absolutely 1 critically important thing that I'm a bit sad nobody in this thread has mentioned yet.

Crash tests.

The *ridiculously great* performance of the Model X in the NHTSA tests is how I got my wife on board with getting one.

I'm glad I'll be waiting on the max pack and therefore also (hopefully) get to see crash tests before we 100% commit.
Sponsored